Lost The Plot - Have A Point - How Would You Cope ?

CharlieH

Members, I just watched an episode of "doomsday preppers" .

It got me to thinking, have these people lost the plot ? or are there fears, all be it loosely, based on facts ?

There are people out there spending big money, altering their lives and enrolling their families in some very, what some would call, wierd ideas and plans. Talking of Polar shifts, major earthquakes, Solar flares resulting in electro magnetic pulses that would fry our world electrical systems. Other exotic notions. Lets not forget we also have December 21st 2012 around the corner too !

So, the question is, is this a load of nonsense ? and how would you cope with a major disaster here in Thailand, given that most of us dont speak the language to any degree of proficiency, how would you cope with say a major fuel shortage ? which led to a shortage of food, or some other disaster.

They say in the US as an example, if there were a major fuel shortage of Oil, transport and subsequently food would run out in just 3 days !!

Thailand had provincial problems with the floods in recent years, leading to drinking water shortages etc, but how would they and you as an individual cope with a major issue ?

Ok, over to you...your thoughts ......?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your talking disaster on a massive scale. Flooding in Bangkok and tsunamis in Phuket are terrible but not so big everyone starves because theres no food left.

Im picturing your description as post apocalyptic mad max which only happens in the movies.

I have True Visions and saw the trailers for this program and have no intention of watching it, even if there is nothing else on worth watching.

A load of nonsense by people who are screwed up.

If the end comes, so be it.

• Like 1

I have True Visions and saw the trailers for this program and have no intention of watching it, even if there is nothing else on worth watching.

A load of nonsense by people who are screwed up.

If the end comes, so be it.

Indeed you would have to wonder if these doomsday preppers would survive much longer than anyone else if it came down to it! Total nut jobs

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Thaivisa Connect App

Try practising some of the Thai philosophy. Worry about today and not about tomorrow, because it hasn’t happened yet.

Maybe I will get lucky when the balloon goes up and end up stranded somewhere in the wilderness with a bunch of young karaoke girls. At least I’ll go out singing, with a smile on my face.

• Like 1

My solution is going back to nature and downgrade everything luxury i was used to in the west. What i am preparing to do is living from the land and living in a real Thai country house. I am practising farming and learning the language. I love to go back to basics. So whenever a mayor disaster comes along i have acquired skills the build a house or live without electricity and on rainwater only. I learn so much from the Thai.

The preppers are going over the edge, yes. But they are not crazy and surely it' s nothing new. They've been around for ages. Especailly after WW2 my grandparents stacked and stored a lot of can food and drinks in their basement. They did this because they were in the war. I wouldn' t call them crazy but i would call them preppers.

For my i don' t want a 40 foot sea container buried in my backyard in case of EMP or fallout protection. I prefer the acquire skills to let me able to survive from the land with my brain. And the best place to learn this is the Thai countryside. IMHO

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 1

Wasn't there a Religious group years ago, that said the end of the world was coming, and did the same as the preppers...

WELL!!!! it came and went and so did the congregation...You dont hear much of that group nowdays.

If the end of the world comes along, your Thai neighbours will kill you and take the food that you have grown and the land you are living on.

My Thai neighbors all have enough land and are growing their own food, not enough manpower to take over ours. Besides the fact they are all my wife's family and my children's family. And we are all surrounded by forest full of food. We grow enough produce to supply 10x the families already living here.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

If the end of the world comes along, your Thai neighbours will kill you and take the food that you have grown and the land you are living on.

My Thai neighbors all have enough land and are growing their own food, not enough manpower to take over ours. Besides the fact they are all my wife's family and my children's family. And we are all surrounded by forest full of food. We grow enough produce to supply 10x the families already living here.

You do realise he made a joke - and it was quite funny . . . shame you didn't get it.

Oh, and no man is an island - if you have food and others don't . . . guess what, and it doesn't matter if you are an ex Michigan Militia nutjob (not saying you are)

What happens when the millions living in the cities migrate to the country looking for food? Think you'll be safe then?

I wonder what would be the general attitude toward non-Thai's if the social fabric did start to decay due to a food shortage,

Would it become us and them ? would there be a clear racial divide and attitude and one not necessarily positive ?

Would "ferangs" become targets because they would generally be considered to have more ?

Edited by CharlieH

I wonder what would be the general attitude toward non-Thai's if the social fabric did start to decay due to a food shortage,

Would it become us and them ? would there be a clear racial divide and attitude and one not necessarily positive ?

Not sure one white face in a small village, producing crops would matter to anyone.

But I can see that the many living in big cities with food shortages might be treated differently.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Wasn't there a Religious group years ago, that said the end of the world was coming, and did the same as the preppers...

WELL!!!! it came and went and so did the congregation...You dont hear much of that group nowdays.

If you're thinking about the bunch of crackpots in Jamestown, Guyana, they're all dead. We are all still here, so what lesson can be learned from that? coffee1.gif

Religious zealots and so-called survivalists are basically self-seeking people (frequently exhibiting an intolerance of anyone who does not hold similar political views / ethnicity / religion, and hovering around the edge of society.

Like many millions of people on the plant, I have kids and grandchildren. I am concerned for their future and the state in which we will leave the planet for them. Hiding away in a forest, fiels or cave is not the answer. Education IS the answer... educating people how to live together in a more sustainable manner for the good of as many as possible is the way to go. In a world of increasing globalistaion, isolationism is not a really feasible option.

Would "ferangs" become targets because they would generally be considered to have more ?

It would be the same all over the world, Tribal law would kick in. Anyone that is not part of the tribe would be the first to go, after this they would turn on each other

It would be the same all over the world, Tribal law would kick in. Anyone that is not part of the tribe would be the first to go, after this they would turn on each other

Naturally. Cannibalism is the last means of survival. However; if the end of the world comes it will be curtains for everyone so no need to worry about food supplies eh? What to do? If it comes, it comes, and we won't be able to stop it.

I am a survivalist, I came her to escape 'Peak Oil'.

When the end comes, I will be happy and safe on my Thai farm, with my Thai family.

We don't need fuel to make our crops grow, all done by hand in the traditional way.

My solution is going back to nature and downgrade everything luxury i was used to in the west. What i am preparing to do is living from the land and living in a real Thai country house. I am practising farming and learning the language. I love to go back to basics. So whenever a mayor disaster comes along i have acquired skills the build a house or live without electricity and on rainwater only. I learn so much from the Thai.

Spot on. Only you’re not elaborating enough. This pertains to anywhere on the planet.

In the event of a major World Catastrophe, all law and order would break down. Society would turn into anarchy and become the survival of the strongest and the most powerful.

If you have something that everyone wants, than you would have to fight in order to keep it. It would become a free for all, every man for himself. People will put the welfare and survival of themselves and close families first, even if it meant grabbing what they can by force or even committing murder.

The reality would be, that your land and produce would need to be guarded by a fully armed army of people, as those that are alone, or in a very small group would not survive.

• Like 1

Education IS the answer... educating people how to live together in a more sustainable manner for the good of as many as possible is the way to go. In a world of increasing globalistaion, isolationism is not a really feasible option.

I don't believe you can "educate" evil away. Some people will stick a knife in you for 200 BHT. What would they do if they were actually starving?

(I'm not agreeing that there will be a doomsday, one way or the other.)

Edited by NeverSure

The survivalist culture is a big money business, with it's model based on fear of the unknown, so it is only natural that you will get the extremists. The more it is fed, the bigger it grows.

Take global warming as a present day example of this. An idea based on one scientists theory, investigated first by sponsorship from the British government followed by even greater sponsorship the next year by the US and it has become the multi-billion dollar enterprise that it is today. The house is still split as to whether it is actually happening or if it is just a part of the cyclic events in the history of the planet. Even if it was proved wrong, there are too many jobs and grants generated by it, it will never go away.

If a global catastrophic event happens (and that is what it would take to reach the state these programmes are targeting) then it is back to nature and will be the survival of the fittest. Those prepared will have the initial advantage while the rest adapt.

And they will adapt and evolve to cope with it, that is nature...............thumbsup.gif

I am a survivalist, I came her to escape 'Peak Oil'.

When the end comes, I will be happy and safe on my Thai farm, with my Thai family.

We don't need fuel to make our crops grow, all done by hand in the traditional way.

Spot on. Only you’re not elaborating enough. This pertains to anywhere on the planet.

In the event of a major World Catastrophe, all law and order would break down. Society would turn into anarchy and become the survival of the strongest and the most powerful.

If you have something that everyone wants, than you would have to fight in order to keep it. It would become a free for all, every man for himself. People will put the welfare and survival of themselves and close families first, even if it meant grabbing what they can by force or even committing murder.

The reality would be, that your land and produce would need to be guarded by a fully armed army of people, as those that are alone, or in a very small group would not survive.

This is one of the very few things I like about the US. I live on a hill just outside of town and the road is a loop with only two entrances which can be blocked. All of my neighbors are good people and well armed. I personally have an 07 SOT FFL license which allows me to own fully automatic weapons (machine guns.) I don't believe that it can happen that strangers ever overrun our neighborhood to kill and steal.

Still, I am not predicting a doomsday. I have no idea. If I was strongly predicting it, I'd stay here and not move to LOS where I'm an unarmed outsider.

• Like 1

Two things I don't believe in for sure.

1. Global warming. It could just be a cycle in the tens of thousands of years we know nothing about. What caused the ice age? Someone's car wouldn't start, LOL? We have just maybe 100 years of real data about temperatures, and growth rings in trees showing something about annual climate for about 1,000 years. The tree rings show both cold and hot and draught and heavy rain, non of it caused by man.

2. Peak oil. The US has more untapped oil reserves on its soil and just offshore than all of the rest of the countries in the world combined. Yet the tree huggers won't let us drill for it. By the time oil and natural gas are truly in short supply (100 years) science will have had time to develop alternatives.

Utrinque Paratus.

If the world ended and I were in Thailand, I'd head for dense jungle regions.

If I were in the UK, I'd head for the Highlands.

I still have stuff packed and ready to go, it's a tough habit to break.

Edited by bangkockney

Utrinque Paratus.

If the world ended and I was in Thailand, I'd head for dense jungle regions.

If I were in the UK, I'd head for the Highlands.

I still have stuff packed and ready to go, it's a tough habit to break.

Utrinque Paratus

"Improvise, adapt and overcome" (Improvidus Apto quod Victum) springs to mind when I read that.................wink.png

I believe they eat Farangs in Isaan,I've seen a few girls licking their lips and looking at me in Udon Thani!w00t.gif