Nice Name For A Half Thai Girl...any Suggestions?

krisb

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My little girl's name is Leelawadee (the white flowers growing everywhere in Thailand, also known as "Frangipani"). It was the only Thai name that my husband and I could agree on. I wanted something that I could not only pronounce but also a beautiful name. His suggestion was something like "Ganjaralux", awful isn't it?

We're very happy about the name we chose.

Never had a daughter as far as I know...... but I would think about the nick names derived?.... from Thai girls names:

eg: PONG

PUT ( sounds like But)

etc

If I'd ever had a daughter would have named her Lara (Doctor Zhivago)..sort of romantic name and sounds a bit oriental too maybe?

My little girl's name is Leelawadee (the white flowers growing everywhere in Thailand, also known as "Frangipani"). It was the only Thai name that my husband and I could agree on. I wanted something that I could not only pronounce but also a beautiful name. His suggestion was something like "Ganjaralux", awful isn't it?

We're very happy about the name we chose.

previously known as Lanthom, the old name for frangipani in Thai

Never had a daughter as far as I know...... but I would think about the nick names derived?.... from Thai girls names:

PUT ( sounds like But)

etc

If I'd ever had a daughter would have named her Lara (Doctor Zhivago)..sort of romantic name and sounds a bit oriental too maybe?

Might get away with it now but I recall Tomb raider spawned a slew of Laras

Dear OP

Why not Call her Half Thai as it fits your Discription of her. I too have a Young Daughter and with Irish/ English/Shan/Mon/Australian Heritage and will try and bring her up as a Internationalist, not as a Luk Krueng. Come to think of it what about 2 First names, one for each Half.

PUT ( sounds like But)

etc

Might get away with it now but I recall Tomb raider spawned a slew of Laras

and also alot of Angelinas! (Jolie)

Dear OP

Why not Call her Half Thai as it fits your Discription of her. I too have a Young Daughter and with Irish/ English/Shan/Mon/Australian Heritage and will try and bring her up as a Internationalist, not as a Luk Krueng. Come to think of it what about 2 First names, one for each Half.

in reply to your 1st question.Well she is half Thai, that fits her heritage description. Are you suggesting her name should be actually Half Thai?

Your daughter has no choice as she has Thai/Aussie parents, she is luk kreung.

How do you describe bringing your daughter up as an internationalist? Please fill me in Im curious?

I dont see being luk kreung as a type of upbringing, its who she will be. Just as I have white skin, it has nothing to do with how I was brought up.

Sorry I find it slightly difficult to understand most of your post except the last bit about 2 names.

That isnt a bad idea and something the mother and I are also working on and probably will give her 2 names Thai/Eng or vice versa.

I appeciate your ideas!

Dear OP

in reply to your 1st question.Well she is half Thai, that fits her heritage description. Are you suggesting her name should be actually Half Thai?

How do you describe bringing your daughter up as an internationalist? Please fill me in Im curious?

I dont see being luk kreung as a type of upbringing, its who she will be. Just as I have white skin, it has nothing to do with how I was brought up.

Sorry I find it slightly difficult to understand most of your post except the last bit about 2 names.

That isnt a bad idea and something the mother and I are also working on and probably will give her 2 names Thai/Eng or vice versa.

I appeciate your ideas!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I will try and bring my daughter up with a dislike for Nationalists of any Country and to be Happy to be an Humanist, not to be labled half and half by many Adults. Being Luk Krueng is a concept by Thai,s. If you called someone half caste in the West the matter would end up in Court. Good Luck. PS. My Daughter has a Biblical then Thai first names.

Dear OP

I appeciate your ideas!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I will try and bring my daughter up with a dislike for Nationalists of any Country and to be Happy to be an Humanist, not to be labled half and half by many Adults. Being Luk Krueng is a concept by Thai,s. If you called someone half caste in the West the matter would end up in Court. Good Luck. PS. My Daughter has a Biblical then Thai first names.

Um, wrong sorry. Im in the west and being called half cast is fine. Why would it end up in court? obsurd comment mate certainly not racist, its multicultural thats all.

Your daughter is half cast, luk kreung whatever you wanna call it. Its her heritage whatever way you look at it.

How you choose to bring her up is your decision and I dont want to know and furthermore,

What nationalists etc as you mention have to do with me finding a name for my daughter is off topic and something I dont give a crap about.

byebye.

Dear OP

I appeciate your ideas!

Um, wrong sorry. Im in the west and being called half cast is fine. Why would it end up in court? obsurd comment mate certainly not racist, its multicultural thats all.

Your daughter is half cast, luk kreung whatever you wanna call it. Its her heritage whatever way you look at it.

How you choose to bring her up is your decision and I dont want to know and furthermore,

What nationalists etc as you mention have to do with me finding a name for my daughter is off topic and something I dont give a crap about.

byebye.

Interesting, I must admit I thought half caste was, while not racist, frowned upon in favor of mixed race.

Sent from Android please allow errors in type or judgment.

is the post deteriorating?......... hmmm...

names, folks, not whether the child is half and half or whatever;

krisb since u are still looking for names, do you not have any cultural ethnic etc, type claims for names. for isntance, here, we either give names based on family who have died, or use the first letter of their name when naming a child, or name on a person still alive l other folks here go for sets of things: my kids are named on natural elements. other people do trees or flowers...or biblical sets, or all with the same first letter or first similar sound... then u have to take in to account spelling and pronounciation... this is in israel, but here also names are very very important, even mystically so, if u are inclined to look in that direction (numerology alphabets ect)...

if your wife is thai, is she not also checking with parents or monks? or is she not into that stuff ?

the other thing is that sometimes u go thru the whole pregnancy calling the fetus one name, and then once born, either the gender isnt what u thought it was boy instead of girl, or, u are bored with the name and suddenly another name pops up sounding better in reality...

bina

Hi guys you might have read about my situation in my thread on this forum, I'm expecting a baby daughter very soon and have come up with the name Arisa Jade. does anyone know is there a spelling variations of Arisa and there meanings?

Arissa is all I can think of. My aunt is Marissa so Im comparing to that. Dunno meaning.

Havnt heard about your situation.

Edited by krisb

Cant be bothered to read the whole thread. We opted to give both our kids double names. First being Western names, then a traditional Thai name. Something like "Jenifer Waneda Smith".....

That way the kids can decide their identity as they like later on, be it Western, be it Thai.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

My daughter is called Jennifer Ice.

Jennifer shortens to Jennie and is easily pronounced in both English and Thai.

The Ice part comes from the wife who decided that because both her and I are born on Tuesdays, and the daughter was supposed to be born on a Tuesday, too many "hot" people required a cold name. Daughter actually decided to come out on a friday but we kept the name anyway.

Yingluck.w00t.gif

I still think it sounds Chinese.

...although she is the best looking Prime Minister Ive seenwink.png

I thought, I have to give you this point!

thatcher_0.jpg

kazimiera-prunskiene-250x183.jpgmerkel.jpg

But I did remember this one: yulia-tymoshenko-collier.jpg

Also we have to admit, most PM's are a bit older, than 45!

Back to OP: Yingluck sounds not bad, methinks.

Edited by noob7
  • Like 2

The Ice part comes from the wife who decided that because both her and I are born on Tuesdays, and the daughter was supposed to be born on a Tuesday, too many "hot" people required a cold name. Daughter actually decided to come out on a friday but we kept the name anyway.

So it is Ice or nam kaeng?

It is Ice

Dear OP

I appeciate your ideas!

i suggest you will likely bring her up as someone so wrapped up in semantic nonsense that she never actually gets on with the business of living

It is Ice

if i ever have a son i will name him crack or skag