Family Of Slain South African Man Voice Concern Over Son, 3

webfact

MURDER

Family of slain man voice concern over son, 3

Jim Pollard//The Nation

30191866-03_big.jpg

Oswald Duvel

BANGKOK: -- The family of a South African man shot dead in Thailand last week voiced concern yesterday over the well-being of his dead brother's young son.

Dr Hercules Duvel, a doctor who lives in Australia, said he feared for the safety of his three-year-old nephew, after the slaying of the boy's father, his brother Oswald, a week ago.

Oswald Duvel's body was found in Saraburi last Sunday. His former wife Kacharin and her half-brother Surasith Panchathepmonkol were charged by police on Friday, and made to re-enact their crime, after confessing that they lured Duvel into a car and shot him several times.

Kacharin and Duvel had been involved in a court fight for custody of their son. With the boy's mother, uncle and grandmother arrested over the slaying of Duvel, police believe the mother's relatives are caring for the boy.

But the victims' family say they have no idea where the boy is, and it looked yesterday that the police weren't sure about the boy's exact whereabouts either.

Dr Duvel spoke at a press conference at the Sheraton Grande Hotel on Saturday to strongly deny allegations by the accused that Oswald had mistreated his wife and son, and not provided them with an income.

"We are very concerned about his son. We are hoping to see him before we return [to Australia and his sisters to South Africa]," he said.

"We would love to take care of his son. But we would take advice from the courts on what would be best for his precious son. We'll have to wait for what the courts say is best."

"He loved his son and would have laid down his life for him... He never raised his voice to him. He would in no way harm the child."

Dr Duvel, 49, praised the Thai police for the swift arrests of his brother's killers.

He described his older brother as his hero, and said that as the eldest child he had always stood up for him and his four sisters.

"I have lost my parents but when I heard about his death, this was a pain I'd never felt before. It was horrible. I wish he could be here today."

Claims he did not support his former wife were untrue, as his brother was paying well over what the court asked him to provide to his former wife, he said, despite regularly being denied access to his boy.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-08

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't this the same report from yesterday? I pray for some very decisive news today concerning the child and his welfare.

If Jim Pollard from the Nation reads this thread, isn't there anything that can be done to raise the true scandalous nature of this situation?

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 2

what I'm worried about is if this woman will plot a murder and then shop her own children to save face over custody of this child what would she do if she thought it a remote possibility that the victims family would win a court hearing and get custody - I know exactly what she would do ruthless phsyco she is

• Like 2

coffee1.gif One more reason to put Thailand on the Blacklist. We will see if the Courts have any teeth, they will just beat their gums as always

.The mother, uncle, and wife all conspired to kill this man. That is pre-meditated murder any way you slice it.coffee1.gif

Edited by jerrysteve
  • Like 2

In this land of psycho, If the boy is missing... it might means that they killed him as well.

that is exactly what I'm getting at - if we can't have him then nobody will !!! alarm bells are ringing very loud for me - this woman and family have already shown what they will do to save face.

PS no matter how many times I see or use that word psycho I still can't remember how to spell it - too lazy to check

Surely even the most simplist of people would know that the child would be safer and better cared for by the victims side of the family. They are clearly better educated and financially secure to provided the boy with all the love and attention he will need to recover from such an ordeal and to grow and prospur into a fine young man. I mean the brother is a doctor for crying out loud. Where as the maternal side of the family need to resort to murder to make money. Say he is cheated into remaining in the custody of his heinous grandmother and the day finally comes to when he asks what ever happened to his Daddy ? What will he be told ? What will his reaction be if he is told the truth ? How will he feel about being brought up by the women that hekped kill his father and put his mother in jail ? I would feel sick to the stomach.

Good points to be sure. To go even further, If I may; one must wonder at the concessions this family were put to by this credibly decent man, and the changes he perhaps was asking of them to make in order to prevent his desire to separate from them and take the child.

What issues were put on the table that made the family say, "No, we are not going to change", or "What you are asking us to do does not involve any money for us, so we refuse to change"?

It makes me wonder if the family's lifestyle was not up to par with what this man, in his experience, thought was the best suited for the child's development.

Clearly there was a point in time when this family was cohesive and got along. I can only wonder at the issues which brought on the animosity and the eventual sub-bestial murder of a seemingly educated and in all likelihood reasonable man. Perhaps his mistake was placing principle above money, and it was simply too much for the mentally debased nature of this "family".

This goes to demonstrate the stiff-necked, unbridled nature of a culture whose human side is merely a thin veneer of civilized mockery; a charade used to the benefit of self-serving ends of a base nature only. Everyone gets the chance to make life-changing choices, and the constant poor decision making abilities demonstrated herein never seem to amaze me, simply because I have set my expectations so low in order to rationalize logically the constant daily rate.

• Like 1

You may be right, I am unsure if he holds dual nationality, but, if we think we cannot succeed, we are absolutely correct.

I for one would like to try.

South Africa accepts dual nationality, there should be no issue. I would presume his father already went through the procedure.

TAH

I think one issue at the moment could be if the little one was already registered with the Embassy and holds a passport. It is something many of us do, but can take years to get around to it.

One thing we can do is it will be no wasted effort to send a short email to the Embassy. The Consul for one, also copy in the Ambassador, the First and Third secratary, hell just phone them, what's the worst they can do...not answer. I am sure they are already all over this like a rash but for the time it will take to make a short post on TV we can start the ball rolling with mails of grave concern for the little one and condolences for Oswald included. The more communications an Embassy receive the greater the political pressure to act.

Embassy of the Republic of South Africa

12th A Floor, M Thai Tower, All Seasons Place

87 Wireless Road, Lumpini, Pathumwan

Bangkok

Tel: +66 (0) 2 659 2900

Fax: +66 (0) 2 685 3500

e-mail: [email protected]

www.saembbangkok.com

amb%20marks.jpg

H.E. Ambassador

Ms. Ruby Marks

ext 51001

Political Section:

Counsellor

Mr. Velelo G. Kwepile

[email protected]

ext 51003

First Secretary

Mr. Raymond W. Manzini

[email protected]

ext 51022

Third Secretary

Ms. Jabulisile Msibi

msibij @dirco.gov.za

ext. 51021

Police Service

Counsellor (South African Police Service Liason & Officer)

Mr. Gregory A. Gaillard

[email protected]

ext. 51012

CONSULAR SECTION

[email protected]

fax:+66 (0) 2 250 1063

While you are at it, make sure that everyone can see you have copied the main man, their boss.!!

Contact emails for President Zuma

Private Office of the President

Deputy Director General: Private Office of the President

Ms Lakela Kaunda

Telephone: (Union Buildings)

012 300 5217

Fax: (Union Buildings)

012 323 3231

E-mail:

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

Get to it now, it will take the time for 1 cup of coffee. Mine is already sent to the lot!

Thank you Sir,

this is all the info I have been looking for.

GentelmanJim, if there is anything I can do from my side as well please let me know. I have already been in contact with friends of mine back home in SA to see if I can try and gather as much support on this as possible.

Thank you Sir,

GentelmanJim, if there is anything I can do from my side as well please let me know. I have already been in contact with friends of mine back home in SA to see if I can try and gather as much support on this as possible.

Pleasure!

A great thing to do would be to get your mates back home to get in touch with/phone the top newspapers, and the most read newspapers in SA, expressing how outraged they may feel. Who knows with enough publicity and a good strong media interest, it could just encourage Zuma in to phoning Yingluck!

The boy has family in South Africa and Thailand. Maybe the mother's relatives can look after the child better than the fathers?? OK the mother and grandmother are no good but the rest might be. Why did he marry into this family to start with and start a family? - they must have had something going for them. One side is more educated and probably has more money but we don't know this - pure speculation. This will give them an unfair advantage in the court. Just because someone has money and degrees doesn't mean they would be good parents.

You may be right, I am unsure if he holds dual nationality, but, if we think we cannot succeed, we are absolutely correct.

South Africa accepts dual nationality, there should be no issue. I would presume his father already went through the procedure.

TAH

I think one issue at the moment could be if the little one was already registered with the Embassy and holds a passport. It is something many of us do, but can take years to get around to it.

One thing we can do is it will be no wasted effort to send a short email to the Embassy. The Consul for one, also copy in the Ambassador, the First and Third secratary, hell just phone them, what's the worst they can do...not answer. I am sure they are already all over this like a rash but for the time it will take to make a short post on TV we can start the ball rolling with mails of grave concern for the little one and condolences for Oswald included. The more communications an Embassy receive the greater the political pressure to act.

Embassy of the Republic of South Africa

12th A Floor, M Thai Tower, All Seasons Place

87 Wireless Road, Lumpini, Pathumwan

Bangkok

Tel: +66 (0) 2 659 2900

Fax: +66 (0) 2 685 3500

e-mail: [email protected]

www.saembbangkok.com

amb%20marks.jpg

H.E. Ambassador

Ms. Ruby Marks

ext 51001

Political Section:

Counsellor

Mr. Velelo G. Kwepile

[email protected]

ext 51003

First Secretary

Mr. Raymond W. Manzini

[email protected]

ext 51022

Third Secretary

Ms. Jabulisile Msibi

msibij @dirco.gov.za

ext. 51021

Police Service

Counsellor (South African Police Service Liason & Officer)

Mr. Gregory A. Gaillard

[email protected]

ext. 51012

CONSULAR SECTION

[email protected]

fax:+66 (0) 2 250 1063

While you are at it, make sure that everyone can see you have copied the main man, their boss.!!

Contact emails for President Zuma

Private Office of the President

Deputy Director General: Private Office of the President

Ms Lakela Kaunda

Telephone: (Union Buildings)

012 300 5217

Fax: (Union Buildings)

012 323 3231

E-mail:

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

Get to it now, it will take the time for 1 cup of coffee. Mine is already sent to the lot!

I am sure they are involved already.

Don't you all be so confident this sort of thing is unique to Thailand. Several years back in Canada, a good friend of mine was murdered by his wife while he slept. Rifle to the back of the head. Her defence was that he had been physically and sexually abusing her. There were no medical reports to substantiate this, she had never seen a doctor for any injuries, and she had never confided in any friends about being abused. She initially lied to police, saying that she was sleeping with the kids when she heard a gunshot and an intruder running out of the house. Her story fell apart when the police found another loaded rifle prepared elsewhere in the house and a sheet of paper with calculations about how much she would get in life insurance and pension, etc., if her husband died (she later claimed he forced her to make these calculations during a heated argument). Yet, she was found innocent due to 'battered spouse syndrome' (a psychologist said she showed the symptoms) and was reunited with her two young kids under an assumed identity (that, I'd guess, came at some cost to Canadian taxpayers). The husband, of course, had no opportunity to defend his reputation ... her word against no-ones.

Oh yes, they were both Canadians going back generations...

Isn't this the same report from yesterday? I pray for some very decisive news today concerning the child and his welfare.

What good is "praying" going to do?

But yes, best if the police get to the bottom of this.

Thank you Sir,

Pleasure!

A great thing to do would be to get your mates back home to get in touch with/phone the top newspapers, and the most read newspapers in SA, expressing how outraged they may feel. Who knows with enough publicity and a good strong media interest, it could just encourage Zuma in to phoning Yingluck!

Highly unlikely the South African government will do anything in this case. The government is more concerned with enriching themselves.

Does it satisfy the Hitchins inside you if I say 'I hope for decisive news today'?? It was a term of phrase that's all, just like when you shout oh God at the vinegar stroke, both meaningless but seem appropriate at the time.

• Like 1

TAH

<snip>

I am sure they are involved already.

I said that. Funny though one woman I spoke to at the embassy didn't have a clue! All I am saying is that as far as any foreign office is concerned, the more they perceive the public are aware and want answers/action the more resources they put in to resolving an issue. That's all. As I said people can either mail or not, no shakes, no harm done, maybe some good done. thumbsup.gif

Prayer can be a very powerful thing. The only ones who mock prayer are the ones who never try it.

• Like 1

This is a copy of the post in the other thread. I have not read all of this thread, (it's just a bit energy sapping), but I hope my opinions below are pertinent

Hi folks,

as it turns out I'm probably closer to this story than anyone

Let's not jump the gun here - we're all stating that the MIL is going to go free and have custody of the kid based on a newspaper article that has so many inaccuracies that, at this stage is very likely to be one of them.

The problem with this is, that it unfairly tarnishes the police in this case and the courts, who, up to now have been superb and at least the equal of western equivalents.

If. and only if, the MIL gets away scot free should we slag off the police and justice departments - this hasn't been confirmed anywhere.

The Police Lt in charge of the case (which arrested the 3 scum within 3 days) was at Oswald's funeral yesterday by his own volition and conducted himself in a very dignified manner. I'm not going to jump to conclusions based on one dodgy newspaper article, and am wondering if the saying "enough rope to hang yourself" isn't pertinent somewhere here - but I don't claim to know the whole story, just like none of us know for sure what is going on. That's just my opinion

We shall see

However it's simply not fair to run down this guy and his colleagues based on our pre-supposing stereotypes (the same thoughts have passed through my mind too, but there is room for a large chunk of benefit of the doubt).

through out the custody case, which was settled with a logical verdict, Oswald always stated that the particular court showed absolutely no distinction or impartiality towards either the Thai citizen or the South African citizen (let's dispell that myth right now).

There is a process to go through, exactly the same as in the west, and every Thai official that we have encountered have been compassionate, caring, aware and professional.

Special mentions to Siam Legal and the South African Embassy, and Siam Funeral for amazing advice and support throughout. Based on what we've been through this week, I recommend all of them.

We've laid Oswald's body to rest and now we have a long process to ensure the future and well being of those left behind.

Thanks a gain for all the positive messages and to George for delivering eulogies at the Check Inn 99 on Saturday - a lovely gesture.

i won't answer any questions, but urge you all not to jump to conclusions that slur the good work of the Police directly involved in this case or the authorities we have been in contact with - that just isn't fair or right.

It's time to be positive and move forward

thanks

• Like 2

Prayer can be a very powerful thing. The only ones who mock prayer are the ones who never try it.

Uh, yeah. No kidding. Why would anyone who thought it worthy of mocking spend any time doing it?

I wonder how powerful it was for the millions of people who have prayed in vain for (to give just one example) their survival or that of their loved ones from a fatal disease?

In any case let's hope things turn out the best they can for a boy who has lost his father...

Edited by SteeleJoe

This is a copy of the post in the other thread. I have not read all of this thread, (it's just a bit energy sapping), but I hope my opinions below are pertinent

Hi folks,

as it turns out I'm probably closer to this story than anyone

Let's not jump the gun here - we're all stating that the MIL is going to go free and have custody of the kid based on a newspaper article that has so many inaccuracies that, at this stage is very likely to be one of them.

The problem with this is, that it unfairly tarnishes the police in this case and the courts, who, up to now have been superb and at least the equal of western equivalents.

If. and only if, the MIL gets away scot free should we slag off the police and justice departments - this hasn't been confirmed anywhere.

The Police Lt in charge of the case (which arrested the 3 scum within 3 days) was at Oswald's funeral yesterday by his own volition and conducted himself in a very dignified manner. I'm not going to jump to conclusions based on one dodgy newspaper article, and am wondering if the saying "enough rope to hang yourself" isn't pertinent somewhere here - but I don't claim to know the whole story, just like none of us know for sure what is going on. That's just my opinion

We shall see

However it's simply not fair to run down this guy and his colleagues based on our pre-supposing stereotypes (the same thoughts have passed through my mind too, but there is room for a large chunk of benefit of the doubt).

through out the custody case, which was settled with a logical verdict, Oswald always stated that the particular court showed absolutely no distinction or impartiality towards either the Thai citizen or the South African citizen (let's dispell that myth right now).

There is a process to go through, exactly the same as in the west, and every Thai official that we have encountered have been compassionate, caring, aware and professional.

Special mentions to Siam Legal and the South African Embassy, and Siam Funeral for amazing advice and support throughout. Based on what we've been through this week, I recommend all of them.

We've laid Oswald's body to rest and now we have a long process to ensure the future and well being of those left behind.

Thanks a gain for all the positive messages and to George for delivering eulogies at the Check Inn 99 on Saturday - a lovely gesture.

i won't answer any questions, but urge you all not to jump to conclusions that slur the good work of the Police directly involved in this case or the authorities we have been in contact with - that just isn't fair or right.

It's time to be positive and move forward

thanks

Great post, thanks for keeping is updated weka.

• Like 1

pleaee dont harass or waste the time of theSouth African Embassy.

They have been magnificent throughout - offered the right advice, sped through documents and answered phone calls at all times, day and night.

they have acted above and beyond the call of duty every day

They are some of the good guys in this story.

• Like 2