Seeking Consultation: Importing Into Canada

Hello, I am a Canadian citizen currently residing in Bangkok. I am researching and planning on importing products from Thailand into Canada. I have been studying the importation procedures by reviewing the provided information from Canada Border Services Agency.

I have now reached a point where I must seek consultation and verify the process through a third-party professional / experienced exporter. I have a general understanding of the requirements but need to clarify several points on proper documentation. I will be registering for a business number, and incorporating a company in Canada to receive the imports.

I am seeking someone with experience in the importation of goods into Canada, and specifically knowledge of completing the required documentation for Canadian customs. I wish to educate myself on this process as to avoid hiring a customs broker.

Specific procedures which I am looking to gain verification and guidance on are:

- Locating tariff classifications on goods:

I am able to locate tariff classification codes on several items, though I am interested in clarifying:

- How to determine the ‘value for duty’ :

If using the ‘transaction value method’ applying the additional expenses (transportation fees etc.) onto the invoiced ‘price paid’ would equal the ‘value for duty’ (Need to verify this process) Then clarifying:

-How to determine the ‘rate of duty’:

If the MFN tariff (for example) 18% rate is translated as being the ‘the rate of duty’ then this % applied onto the total ‘value for duty’ would equal the ‘customs duty’. The total of both would become the ‘value for tax’

-How to determine the GST rate:

Is the GST rate a 5% constant on all products? Either way, the GST rate % would be applied onto the ‘value for tax’ total. Following this process would determine the total of duty and tax payable.

Another major section I need guidance on is required documentation, I need to verify:

The required documents needed to accompany the shipment in order to clear the Canadian customs process are:

-CCD (Customs Control Documents)

-Form CI1

-Sale invoice copy

-Form B3

-Invoice cross reference / recap sheet

- CCD: A reliable courier (ship) will prepare and deliver the CCD to the CBSA, will provide me with a transaction number, and deliver a copy of the CCD to me when the goods arrive.

- Form CI1 is fairly straightforward , though there are some fields I need to double check how to fill out

-Form B3 I have the most questions about. In regards to what type of B3 form I should use as per my shipment ( Above $1600.00 / or / LVS below $1600.00 ) deciding between: B3 (bonded warehouse) or

B3 Type F (For CLS)

I need to clarify how to prepare the proper type of form and the correct colored wrapper to be applied

-Invoice cross reference / recap sheet I need to be instructed on the right methods

Overall, verifying what documents I need, the proper procedure to fill them out, in what order are they made presentable to CBSA and if I need to request approval to print my own forms, which ones?

I am not looking to have all of these points addressed and answers on the forum per say, I am seeking the advice of someone with knowledge and personal experience in the listed areas. I live in Bangkok and am able to meet up with the right person who fulfills these requirements. I am not looking for free training, though I will not refuse, but am offering to pay for a successful consultation.

So, If you have experience importing into Canada and handling the documentation process yourself please feel free to contact me if you are available for private consultation.

Thank you,

-Andy

Have you contacted the Embassy yet ?

http://www.tradecommissioner.gc.ca/eng/contact-our-team.jsp?oid=52&cid=538

http://www.tradecommissioner.gc.ca/eng/office.jsp?oid=52

I have a friend who contacted them, he was in the same spot as yourself. He had a few meetings and was very impressed with the level of service and local contacts they have also helped in with all the CBSA confusing information. It's their job to promote trade and they seem to be really good at it.

• Like 1

Are you looking at a one time shipment, or will this involve regular consignments? At a valuation of under $2000, and a one time shipment only, there are ways to avoid most of the paperwork, depending on the actual bulk of the product, and how fast it needs to arrive, except for agricultural product, my specialty.

Message me the product you are exporting, and I might be able to help you. I retired 9 years early exporting a specific food product out of Thailand, and into both Canada, and the USA.