At What Age Does A Thai Child Become An 'adult' From A Legal Perspective ...

kaliYUGA

A child rights grows with the years, as in most countries. Like at age ** one is allowed to ride a scooter, at age ** one can get married with parental consent etc.

Freedom of movement and assocation is not regulated, the law states that the parents decide the place where a minor lives, can punish child (within reason) etc. You can tell a child not to see someone, but it is up to you to enforce it. If it is an adult, that is another ballgame. Keeping a minor away from his parents can be a very serious offence for an adult. (Not sure on that if committed by another minor).

In Thailand one becomes an adult at the age of 20, then one is no longer bound by the permission of the parents.

Working without paretal consent might be a problem, as the employer would keep the child away from his parents. But the law itself (labour protection act) limits the work a child can do already, with regards to dangerous work and working in evening hours.

• 3 weeks later...

With parental consent 'the girl next door' married at the age of 14 to her husband of 'just' 15 three weeks ago and both work at the local petrol station. It would be interesting to know how they're rights are now affected.

I do have to admit I had to use hand to close my mouth!

With parental consent 'the girl next door' married at the age of 14 to her husband of 'just' 15 three weeks ago and both work at the local petrol station. It would be interesting to know how they're rights are now affected.

They were probably not legally married, just had a traditional marriage ceremony.

If legally married, they will be adults. If not, they are still minors under the law and under the authorithy of their parents.

They were probably not legally married, just had a traditional marriage ceremony.

If legally married, they will be adults. If not, they are still minors under the law and under the authorithy of their parents.

You are probably right about the wedding being a traditional wedding.

The ceremony appeared to be conducted by the parents and then those present knelt before the couple and tied a piece of string round each of their wrists and offered an envelope.

The couple live in their own place next door to the brides parents'.

I to would like to see this broken down... drinking, driving a car, joining the army, sex, commercial sex, voting, leaving home, having children/abortions, owning property, deciding work/academics, consent to surgey, be paid a wage, inherit money, own property etc. I presume most laws concern sex and money. I was surprised to see signs barring anyone under 20 from entering or working at a go-go bar when I see 16 (15?) year-olds working in equally (and potentially more hazardous) construction. I suppose moral versus material threats are the issue. Or is it a matter of enforcement?

and of course consuming alcohol. The state (whether Thai or Canadian, Malaysian or Russian) has vested interests in keeping us all children, though I accept the rational argument that there are some legitimate and practical exceptions to personal sovereingty, and ones where minors and adults are different. In traditional societies menses and first hunt were dividing lines, then in non hunter-gatherer agricultural societies, when one left home to support one's self. Does this mean that mommasboy vegeatrians are chikdren if thry stay at home even when 35? It's a n interesting philosophical, political and legal question. I presume that in a Theravada Buddhist culture it is no simpler than in a fundamentalist LDS American one. It involves many factors. I would like the learn the short non-interpretive answer. it could provide an opportunity for satire.