Csloxinfo Dsl

sabaijai

I've just switched from Ji-Net DSL to CSLoxinfo DSL. The latter cost roughly 500B more per month (1990B vs 1500B, not including VAT in either case) but the 256K connection will be 1:5 rather than 1:10 so I should see some increase in speed at least during high-traffic times of day.

I also hope to get better service. Ji-Net went down a few times and it was always a hassle getting it to run again, for me. I was particularly frustrated by the fact that Ji-Net has no tech reps in Chiang Mai so all service has to be over the phone.

CSLoxinfo has a local office so I'm hoping service will be better. I'm wondering if anyone else here has made a similar switch. A tech for TT&T - who sold me the first deal and is also doing the second - admitted that hardly anyone was using Ji-Net anymore due to the service problem. I actually thought Ji-Net worked pretty well, it was just a hassle when there was a problem because the Ji-Net call centre (in Bangkok) usually blamed TT&T or my modem, and only after I had the line and modem checked would they go deep enough into the problem to fix it at their end.

Before I used CSLox with a tt&t line. Then CSLox technical support was quite good and they always called you back. They also had a nice office on Canal road, but now I don't think there is a Chiangmai office, only business partners, and I called one of those and they didn't know anything about CSLox adsl service. So now, unless things have changed again, you have to call Bangkok to get CSLox service or call tt&t, whose support I find is terrible: they never call me back! :o

More than half of the problems with CSLox turned out to be tt&t problems. That is when I decided to change to CAT Hinet. I can't easily get rid of the weak link, tt&t, so might as well go with a much faster speed and lower price. I still have outages, and usually now I don't even bother to call tt&t, I just wait an hour, or maybe several, and the service comes back. The speed is up and down but averages much higher than 256k.

CSLoxinfo still has an office in Chiang Mai - it's now in the same row of superhighway shophouses as BUPA. They were always very helpful when I had dial-up and I guess I'm trusting they will be just as helpful with DSL.

It can't be any worse than Ji-Net though. Hasn't worked for nearly week now; TT&T have checked the modem and it's fine and they've checked the line and it's fine. The line still works fine for voice and dial-up (I've always kept CSLox dial-up as backup and it has yet to fail), and Ji-Net Bangkok says everything works fine at their end. So I've reached an impasse. At least with CSLoxinfo I can walk into the office and speak to someone face to face, and log on from one of their terminals.

I asked a tech rep from TT&T which plan out of all the plans they sell (around 15?) got the least complaints and he said CSLoxinfo. He tried to talk me into MagNet, TT&T's own DSL service, but admitted it wasn't all that good.

I'll post my results here after I've got CSL up and running.

I've got CSLoxinfo up and running. My first bandwidth test came out to 201Kps (256K promised), not too bad. That's about the same as I was getting with Ji-Net on a similar package.

When I finally paid the first month's fee for CSL, they dropped it to 1600B/month, so now it's comparable with the Ji-Net package I had, except I'm getting a 1:5 share ratio rather than 1:10. At least on paper that's the case - my first speed tests don't demonstrate any difference.

Already I've found the service much better however. I was able to take my router into CSL's office and have it programmed immediately. Ji-Net has no tech reps in Chiang Mai, so I always had to go through TT&T and as most people already know, TT&T service is sub-par - usually takes a week to get anyone to come out and look at the line, much less your Internet connection.

BTW what free online bandwidth tests are other members in CM using?

I am on Maxnet4Life which is TT&T's own service (there is also Maxnet4Home and Maxnet4Business), Maxnet4Life is intended for small businesses, or so they try to convince you anyway.

They charge a whooping 2500 per month for 512/256, and the service is not that impressive, especially not since TRUE's cable modem service here in Chiang Mai is only 1000 baht for double that speed... and worked close to flawlessly for ALL applications.

They give you a router modem when you sign up for Maxnet4Life, but because of its poor performance I have bought a proper router for my own money instead. If I cancel this package I have to pay 2000 baht for that piece of crap router that nobody in their right mind would buy, and that I could never try to push on another person, unless I really, really hated him.

It seems all packages delivered through TT&T lines in Chiang Mai are so-so, and none deliver what they promise. The conclusion I make is that something is not quite right with TT&T in Chiang Mai.

It's a shame TRUE do not expand the cable modem network more.

They have said they are about to set up a wireless network along Thanon Tha Phae out to the Sankamphaeng-Superhighway crossing, but apparently they still haven't got the parts they need to start working on it.

• 1 month later...

I think I've reached saturation point with ISP , ADSL info. so can someone please help with some very basic questions!!

I've used the search and gone back through the forum to check on ADSL in Chiang mai. A lot of people seem to use TOT - reports varied and a few TT&T - reports not too good. Also CSLOx - mixed reports.

At the moment I have CSLOX dial up which is OK and would like to keep the email address I have with it - so maybe should hang on to a cheap dial up package in order to use the email??

I'm in centre of Chiang mai so could I get TRUE - if so does this use the telephone line ( sorry stupid question but somebody mentioned asomething about cable)?

I would have to use TT&T phone line as the TOT number I have comes in at the wrong place and is hooked up to the fax machine. But I suppose could be altered if necessary.

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks for any advice you might have out there!

About a month ago or so, TOT upgraded its dsl service. They made a big to-do of calling subscribers and announcing a doubling of international bandwidth, and posted explicit instructions on their adsl webpage. The good news is that service has improved dramatically, at least it has for me. Line dropouts are rare, while in the past they were frequent. And speeds are much closer to the 1Mb/256 I am apparently paying for.

If you can get TRUE cable modem, that is as the name suggests, a separate cable and has nothing at all to do with your telephone line.

If you contact TRUE they will tell you if you are in the servicable area (close enough to a signal boost station that it is possible to run a cable from it to your home) and ask you to choose a package.

I was near Chiang Mai gate before, and had a very reliable 1024/512 connection there which only cost me about 1000 baht per month. Definitely recommended.

They have a one off installation fee, which if I remember correctly was something like 2000 baht. If the distance from the booster station is very long, they may charge extra for cable (by the meter). The cable modem necessary was included in the deal for me. If you leave the service before a year, they will charge you for the cable modem, but after one year the modem is yours.

I really recommend the cable modem service as opposed to all the ADSL services I have seen in Thailand so far.

You will find TRUE's office in an "office soi" near Chang Pheuak Market. I also think this number works: 053 404 072.

As for the e-mail address, you can call CSLoxinfo and ask to keep the address. They will charge you a bit of money each year for the service, but it is definitely possible as I have done exactly that.

Good luck!