Life Insurance?

My wife and I are looking to buy life insurance. We have two kids 7, 5. Anyone here with kids bought life insurance-, how much did you buy ? Which company do you use?

We wanted an amount that would cover the costs of bringing up the kids...I did a quick back of the envelope calculation and if you want to put 2 kids in private expat type schools plus then 4 years in good US university plus living costs of kids per year...you are looking at 2 million USD to cover their costs until they graduate age 23 or so!!! Obviously relying on public school will reduce costs but not always an option if living abroad..

Life insurance is expensive in Thailand as a relatively new product compared to mature western markets. You can probably get much cheaper with a policy from where you come from. Be careful if you do so though, that you being in Thailand doesn't invalidate the policy.

I checked out Prudential and ING a few years back. One had a calculator on their website, they may still do. Seemed to be about 3-4 times the price of UK, so I gave it a miss.

Think also of permanent disability insurance, where you become a burden to the family and don't die. This can be a double whammy. No life insurance payout and you're still living and costing even more money instead of bringing it in.

:)

Our kids currently are in cheap ish lower end expat school ( still good though) now but many countries in the region don't have this cheaper option - it's either local school or full on expat high cost schooling. Hence the high schooling cost estimate. I guess in worst case scenario will have to consider going bAck to home country for public school option.

Will do some research on US insurance companies make sure they pay out f living abroad as one of you already flagged as an issue.

You have probably heard it said before but you should never make yourself more valuable dead than what you are alive.

Don't tell the wife biggrin.png

To late! "My wife and I are looking to buy life insurance."

But more important: Wife don't tell kids, 'cause kids tell maybe grandma/pa!

And someone would have to take care the money, eh, the kids, in case bad things go wrong!

Edited by noob7

You have probably heard it said before but you should never make yourself more valuable dead than what you are alive.

Don't tell the wife biggrin.png

To late! "My wife and I are looking to buy life insurance."

But more important: Wife don't tell kids, 'cause kids tell maybe grandma/pa!

And someone would have to take care the money, eh, the kids, in case bad things go wrong!

w00t.gif

Unfortunately as others have said, insurance premiums in Thailand are more expensive and the cover is low.

William Russel who run our health insurance do life and income protection in the case of illness or disability. They are great on the health side so I suspect there is a good chance they are okay there too.