Price Of Music Instruments In Bangkok

penzman

I am debating between shipping my music instruments by boat to LOS or selling here to buy there and maybe save on shipping costs... A 1 cubic meter crate shipped from Canada to LOS will cost me 600$ +insurance.

I did not visit any music gear stores while in LOS and am clueless about prices.

The instruments i m interested in are : bass guitar, classical or acoustic guitar, synthesizers.

Can anyone give me a rough idea (THB) or web adress?

Playing guitar myself, I have checked out music stores in BKK and seen a few prices here and there. If you buy foreign made instruments, they seem to be more expensive. If you buy local made items, they are relatively cheap. I do not have any exact prices for you but have seen acoustic guitars, Thai made, for under $100 US.

Floor 3 of the Seri Centre is a good place to buy musical instruments and learn how to play them. The music schools would also be a good place to enquire about hard-to-find items. A few years ago, I had an acoustic guitar custom made for my son for 3,500 baht. I doubt if prices have risen much since then.

• 1 year later...

When I went to Thailand I found guitar prices in BKK to be VERY competitive, however they seemed to rocket as soon as you got out og Bangkok.

I bought a very playable guitar for about 1500 bt, that's about £20! I'd say it was easily as good as the £100 Encore/Yamaha jobbies for a gfraction of the price.

I can't comment on well known farrang brands though... that could be completely different!

While Googling a some time ago, I came across this:

http://www.guitarandpickup.com/

The company claims to hand-make guitars and has a shop in Sukhumvit Road, BKK. The prices of the less ornate LP and PRS types seem to compare reasonably well with the UK equivalent prices for Epiphones. They look good on the website, don't they? I wonder what they play like.

I am thinking of visiting the shop the next time that I visit BKK but it would be useful to hear what others think about the place. Anyone been there?

• 3 years later...