Mae Taeng Foothills Mtb Ride 1

T_Dog

Thought I would post some general information for those looking for wild side mountain biking. Tonto21 and I have several PMs from folks interested in coming up, but Junglechef is the only one that has enjoyed the riding up here. Since most mountain bikers are pretty independent minded, here is some scoop if you want to roll your own.

This ride starts 2.5 km up from the Mae Malai market intersection in Mae Taeng. Look for a pork bbq shop and some white arrows on a white sign and turn up that concrete road. (See "IN" kmz file.) Follow the arrows on this long fire road climb until you top out on the ride. Follow the road to the right at the top and then make a turn north at an intersection that has lots of fencing on three sides. (See "Turn North" kmz file.) Once you make that turn, the fun starts. More posts to follow.

In.kmz

Turn North.kmz

• Like 1

This ride follows a ridge top in fairly deep forest north toward the Mae Taeng river and comes out on the paved road between HWY 1095 and the Mae Taemon elephant camps on the river. First..... There is a lot of good single track riding up and down on the ridge past a waypoint we call Dog Sala. Always noisy but harmless dogs there and sometimes farmers. If you are already tired at this point, you can turn west at Dog Sala and follow a muddy trail a few km to the paved road where a left turn takes you back toward Mae Taeng.

If you are feeling strong, continue heading north on the ridge top. Ignore any minor trails left or right and stay on the main path. Once you get to a major fork in the trail, take one. Make sure it is the left on though! (See "Fork" kmz file.) This trail stays on top of the ridge top through forest and bamboo groves until the downhill starts after the fork. You will likely see some friendly folks up there picking mushrooms or cutting bamboo. I was surprised yesterday to find someone had built a nice park bench after one of the longer climbs.

It is a long evac out if something happens so be prepared with repair gear and ride the more technical sections carefully. This is not a very technical trail but the climbs will tire you out. Generally it is a go fast and fun trail. More photos to follow as well as the exit kmz file.

post-498-0-22345500-1349831307_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-32947200-1349831867_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-19003800-1349832364_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-70072700-1349832828_thumb.jpg

Dog Sala.kmz

Fork.kmz

• Like 1

Here is a photo of what the major fork (see the kmz file on the prior post.) looks like. Pretty rough riding for the last few hundred meters before this fork with some almost impossible short climbs that I sometimes have to get off the bike and push. Ignore one road that heads steeply downhill in this section as the main trail is a steady climb to the fork.

I also found this interesting piece of scat on the trail. It is full of fur so there is a chance it is from a Clouded Leopard that is rare but known to be in the area. Certainly from a predator and in the USA I would say a fox or coyote, but not many of those here.

Once past the major fork where you took a left turn, it is all downhill and a fun trail. Be careful coming out on the road as it has a surprising amount of traffic with truck loads of tourists heading for the elephant camps. The paved road is a scenic ride all the way back to 1095, but you could also do a U-turn and ride the trail back. The trail feels completely different ridden in the opposite direction and about 20 minutes of climbing gets you back on the ridge top.

Total pedal time for this ride if you are in decent shape is between 60-90 minutes with a total distance of about 18 km and an accumulated climb of 400 meters.

Man Trail Out.kmz

post-498-0-42583600-1349836443_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-61371200-1349837658_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-83775000-1349838419_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a final installment of photos from yesterday's ride along with two more waypoints along the trail. This is probably one of the best trail rides I have found in Thailand (thanks to Tonto) for sheer fun and ability to get into the woods. Next week once a bit of bike maintenance is done, it's going to be time to keep going north on the other fork. The single track riding in Mae Taeng is endless.

post-498-0-97666200-1349859732_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-73790300-1349860048_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-20561400-1349860689_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-56657800-1349860894_thumb.jpg

Ongowa.kmz

ONLD.kmz

• Like 1

Hi All

Great info T_Dog....Nice write up.

See you later.

Tonto

Let me know when you get your crank set rebuilt and we'll go check out that other trail.

And rebo... Let us know how you like the trail and what improvements are needed to directions. Hopefully run into you up there some time.

Hi All

See you later.

Tonto

Let me know when you get your crank set rebuilt and we'll go check out that other trail.

And rebo... Let us know how you like the trail and what improvements are needed to directions. Hopefully run into you up there some time.

Hey T_Dog…………….

Job done!

I got a Shimano XT M770 Hollowtech II Triple Chainset…..Nice!

At a good price as well from ‘Jacky’s’ 6000 Baht….Fitted. I saw it in ‘Wiggle’ for 169 Pounds, discounted from over 210 Pound, just the bits.

So…..I’m well happy, that was the last of the SRAM left on the bike.

See you later.

Tonto

post-69255-0-38524000-1349933074_thumb.j

• Like 2

Hi All

See you later.

Tonto

Hey T_Dog…………….

Job done!

I got a Shimano XT M770 Hollowtech II Triple Chainset…..Nice!

At a good price as well from ‘Jacky’s’ 6000 Baht….Fitted. I saw it in ‘Wiggle’ for 169 Pounds, discounted from over 210 Pound, just the bits.

So…..I’m well happy, that was the last of the SRAM left on the bike.

See you later.

Tonto

post-69255-0-38524000-1349933074_thumb.j

Wow, that really looks nice! Mine used to look that way...like 7 years ago! You'll enjoy that for sure. Sram stuff is "okay" in my book but Shimano beats it on reliability all day long. Good price you got there as well when you consider the bottom bracket is included ensuite.

Impressive write up T-Dog and charming photos to boot..Thanks!

You got it! I need to do another thread on an area that is just laced with trails and a bit less wild. This week hopefully. Having always been searching out single track in Northern Thailand, just want to share so others can enjoy it as well.