Road Trip Advice From Pattaya To Koh Samui

Nakonamath

Hi, My familly is comming and we want to take a road trip from our home in Bangsaen to Koh Samui / Krabi , we drive by car.

I am building a Map with attractions along the route, but, i have never driven on that side of Bangkok before, So besides som days nearby Bangkok Ayutthaya, ect. i would be happy if some can fill me in on what and where. we have 2 kids with us 7mds and 1,7 mds mom dad and grand mother, so we are not looking for Night life or agogos :-) more like Beach, historical, nature, Shopping/markets/crafts, places with other tourists Hua hin will be 1 stop, but any attractions along the way down i am interrested in knowing more,

please help me :-)

Thanks alot in advance

Jesper And May + the rest.

First, how long do you have for this trip? You could spend a long time exploring that part of Thailand.

If you are already in Ayutthaha, maybe a stop in Kanchanaburi? Plenty to see there.

Hua Hin has some attractions, the beach is OK. I like some places south of there quite a bit. Like Ban Kruit:

http://www.rachavadee.net/site/

Bang Saphan is also very nice. Down near the ferry to Samui is Khanom. Nice small town.

The drive from the Samui ferry to Krabi is quite nice. I've only done this trip one time, but really enjoyed it.

First, how long do you have for this trip? You could spend a long time exploring that part of Thailand.

If you are already in Ayutthaha, maybe a stop in Kanchanaburi? Plenty to see there.

Hua Hin has some attractions, the beach is OK. I like some places south of there quite a bit. Like Ban Kruit:

Bang Saphan is also very nice. Down near the ferry to Samui is Khanom. Nice small town.

The drive from the Samui ferry to Krabi is quite nice. I've only done this trip one time, but really enjoyed it.

I expect something like 1-2 weeks, my familly will stay here for 5 weeks

Can you advice me about Kanchanaburi ?

my plan is when we reach koh samui, we spend the time we feel is enough in the island, and then drive to krabi from there we can reach Phi Phi islands, james Bond islands ect. that area inthere is quite nice too.

Any advice is appreiated. with links is even better.

Jesper

my plan is when we reach koh samui, we spend the time we feel is enough in the island, and then drive to krabi from there we can reach Phi Phi islands, james Bond islands ect. that area inthere is quite nice too.

Jesper

In Krabi you might want to stay at Ao Nang, plenty of nice hotels there and possibilities to visit the islands. You might want to reconsider visiting James bond island. There's really no difference between that island and any of the hundreds of islands in the bay, except for the price of the excursion. I consider it a tourist trap.

The road to take from the mainland side of the ferry is highway number 44, very scenic and not much commercial traffic (trucks).

This road ends at Ao Leuk where you join highway number 4 to Krabi.

Sorry have no relevant info abt Koh Samui, my last visit was almost 20 years ago.

The info from CraigT above is also something to consider as alternative to Hua Hin (also tourist trap).

Anyway have a good trip.

Yermanee wai.gif

Jesper

In Krabi you might want to stay at Ao Nang, plenty of nice hotels there and possibilities to visit the islands. You might want to reconsider visiting James bond island. There's really no difference between that island and any of the hundreds of islands in the bay, except for the price of the excursion. I consider it a tourist trap.

The road to take from the mainland side of the ferry is highway number 44, very scenic and not much commercial traffic (trucks).

This road ends at Ao Leuk where you join highway number 4 to Krabi.

Sorry have no relevant info abt Koh Samui, my last visit was almost 20 years ago.

The info from CraigT above is also something to consider as alternative to Hua Hin (also tourist trap).

Anyway have a good trip.

Yermanee wai.gif

I understand the turist trap thing, however my familly who visit, would be happy to visit some places wich they can tell others and so. however, i remember i paid around 3000 for james bond island trip from Phuket for 2 person, that is just too expensive for this trip, we need more resonable prices

Commonly have have been going to Koh Chang, everthing there is affordable !!! but now we been there 5-6 times, and this time we want to see something else.

Keep the advice comming, its a long trip

Jesper

Hi , some great things to do around Krabi for family's , take the 5 island trip from aonang beach ,its a long tail trip if there are a few of you , take a boat for yourself's .the captain of the boat will be your private guide for the day, make sure he takes you around chicken island so you can see the chickens head . with your own boat you can stop on every island for as long as you like .i think for around 2500 for whole day . (take your own food and drink as not much choice on islands and poor quality .)

the hot springs and emerald pool is another nice day out ( be carefull on your way you dont go to the wrong hot springs !!!, about 5 km before the free ones is a posh hot spring therapy place this i have not visited and cannot coment on them . the ones i have been to are free to visit except the national park fee and are quite close to the emerald pool take your own car and its a great cheap day out .lots of food places near the hot springs , but not so many at emerald pools.

on the way to the pools you could visit tiger temple near Krabi town , but unless you are all young and fit , I would go to temple for a morning and just chill on the beach in afternoon , Its a great place to see the sunrise , fantastic views 1237 steps to top!!!, do it early in the day if you want to get to the top without passing out ( go slow and its not so hard !!).

Rock climbing lessons on Railey Beach for the total beginer is fun ! also some great snorkling off local islands ie (Koh Poda ,Koh chicken, Koh Ha and many more ) . lots of the local dive operators will also take you out diving or snorkling on a choice of boats and budgets.

There are 3 beaches at ao nang , Monkey beach ( the most popular, but still pretty quiet compared to Pattaya) Centara beach where ther is a private hotel behind ( but beach is open to public ) and the beach i enjoyed was Npharatara its a long long beach that all the local Thais use great for picnic on a weekend under the trees watching the locals cooking eating and enjoying themselves .

Ps I would love to here how the trip goes , I plan to drive down from Udon to Krabi later this year ,and would love to here of any interesting or unusual things along the way !

Hi , some great things to do around Krabi for family's , take the 5 island trip from aonang beach ,its a long tail trip if there are a few of you , take a boat for yourself's .the captain of the boat will be your private guide for the day, make sure he takes you around chicken island so you can see the chickens head . with your own boat you can stop on every island for as long as you like .i think for around 2500 for whole day . (take your own food and drink as not much choice on islands and poor quality .)

the hot springs and emerald pool is another nice day out ( be carefull on your way you dont go to the wrong hot springs !!!, about 5 km before the free ones is a posh hot spring therapy place this i have not visited and cannot coment on them . the ones i have been to are free to visit except the national park fee and are quite close to the emerald pool take your own car and its a great cheap day out .lots of food places near the hot springs , but not so many at emerald pools.

on the way to the pools you could visit tiger temple near Krabi town , but unless you are all young and fit , I would go to temple for a morning and just chill on the beach in afternoon , Its a great place to see the sunrise , fantastic views 1237 steps to top!!!, do it early in the day if you want to get to the top without passing out ( go slow and its not so hard !!).

Rock climbing lessons on Railey Beach for the total beginer is fun ! also some great snorkling off local islands ie (Koh Poda ,Koh chicken, Koh Ha and many more ) . lots of the local dive operators will also take you out diving or snorkling on a choice of boats and budgets.

There are 3 beaches at ao nang , Monkey beach ( the most popular, but still pretty quiet compared to Pattaya) Centara beach where ther is a private hotel behind ( but beach is open to public ) and the beach i enjoyed was Npharatara its a long long beach that all the local Thais use great for picnic on a weekend under the trees watching the locals cooking eating and enjoying themselves .

Ps I would love to here how the trip goes , I plan to drive down from Udon to Krabi later this year ,and would love to here of any interesting or unusual things along the way !

World class information, this is what we are looking for defenetly !! Cool !

I will post on this tread when we return.

what about the drive from BKK too Krabi are there anything on the way down ? i would like to make a few stops along the way,

Jesper

Sorry I cant help about the drive I only flew down there , I have driven from Krabi to the peir for Samui , but it was a no stop drive , so got no info except it was a good road .

I hope someone can give some advice , there must be some good stop overs along the way .

Sorry I cant help about the drive I only flew down there , I have driven from Krabi to the peir for Samui , but it was a no stop drive , so got no info except it was a good road .

I hope someone can give some advice , there must be some good stop overs along the way .

Hope so, but if not, well then its just full ahead, and then spend the time in koh samui / krabi, that is OK too

Hope so, but if not, well then its just full ahead, and then spend the time in koh samui / krabi, that is OK too

If I remember correctly, it was pretty much a full day's journey from our hotel in Samui to our hotel in Krabi...we didn't start early!

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, it was pretty much a full day's journey from our hotel in Samui to our hotel in Krabi...we didn't start early!

It is not that far away. even with kids we can drive 500km pr day and samui to Krabi is around 100 km

what about the drive from BKK too Krabi are there anything on the way down ? i would like to make a few stops along the way,

Jesper

Hi Jesper,

Yes quite a few really,

1. Petchaburi up to the top of the mountain there is a palace, think there is a lift that takes you to the top. Also Kaeng Karchan Dam which is before the town and on your right hand side, maybe go there on your way back to BKK.

2. Cha-Am Puek Tian Beach.

3. Hua Hin, Khao Takiab - Temple, feed the monkeys, but be careful.

3a. Hua Hin Railway Station.

4. Prachup Khiri Khan Bay, nice Thai hotel overlooking the bay, to stay for 1 night. Food not bad, small swimming pool and not expensive. Stayed there and the big rooms on floor 5 & 6 was last year 1,800 baht appox.

5. Phraya Nakhon Cave - Khao Sam Roi Yot - The Royal Pavilion.

Then onto Don Sak and the ferry to Koh Samui.

To Krabi as was mentioned take the Road 44.

More views and Maps on my web-page which is free of ads only photos and my links.

http://www.pbase.com.../root&view=tree

Have a good and safe trip.

Win wai.gif

• Like 1

Jesper

Hi Jesper,

Yes quite a few really,

1. Petchaburi up to the top of the mountain there is a palace, think there is a lift that takes you to the top. Also Kaeng Karchan Dam which is before the town and on your right hand side, maybe go there on your way back to BKK.

2. Cha-Am Puek Tian Beach.

3. Hua Hin, Khao Takiab - Temple, feed the monkeys, but be careful.

3a. Hua Hin Railway Station.

4. Prachup Khiri Khan Bay, nice Thai hotel overlooking the bay, to stay for 1 night. Food not bad, small swimming pool and not expensive. Stayed there and the big rooms on floor 5 & 6 was last year 1,800 baht appox.

5. Phraya Nakhon Cave - Khao Sam Roi Yot - The Royal Pavilion.

Then onto Don Sak and the ferry to Koh Samui.

To Krabi as was mentioned take the Road 44.

More views and Maps on my web-page which is free of ads only photos and my links.

http://www.pbase.com.../root&view=tree

Win wai.gif

Super cool Info !!!

Hua hin railroad station ??????????

forgive me, i have a picture in my head of the 1 lane railroad station in our town with not even a living sole , he he he

It is not that far away. even with kids we can drive 500km pr day and samui to Krabi is around 100 km

It's not the distance that gets ya. I'm talking door to door. Getting to the ferry on Samui (lots of traffic), waiting in line, crossing on the ferry, getting off, etc. And you're not doing 100km/hr on most of the roads on the way there. There is one very nice stretch, but it's so beautiful, we went quite slow.

So door to door, perhaps including a stop for lunch, it's the better part of a day.

• Like 1

It's not the distance that gets ya. I'm talking door to door. Getting to the ferry on Samui (lots of traffic), waiting in line, crossing on the ferry, getting off, etc. And you're not doing 100km/hr on most of the roads on the way there. There is one very nice stretch, but it's so beautiful, we went quite slow.

So door to door, perhaps including a stop for lunch, it's the better part of a day.

Got it

good information !!!

Super cool Info !!!

Hua hin railroad station ??????????

Hua Hin's popularity began to increase in the 1920's as the railway line from Bangkok was constructed and King Rama VI built Klai Kangwon Palace as a summer retreat.

Hua Hin's station is one of the oldest in Thailand and its main feature is The Royal Waiting Room that used to welcome King and his court when they were visiting the town.

Originally, it was situated at Sanamchan Palace in Nakom Pathom and was known as Plub Pla Sanamchan. Eventually, the room was tranported to Hua Hin.

It is designed in the same style as Maruekkhathayawan Palace and is an attraction not to be missed if you are staying in Hua Hin.

The train station is located at the top (west end) of Damnoern Kasem Road.

large.jpg

Must see as it is world renown. Now you know. thumbsup.gif

Win wai.gif

Jesper

Yes sure. Look on the link that I gave you before and there is this link. Lots to do and to see, just west of Bangers & Mash (BKK) btw. whistling.gif

http://www.pbase.com/win13/muang_kan smile.png

Maps are also provided below:-

http://www.pbase.com/win13/maps coffee1.gif

Win tongue.png