7Pm Tonight In Bkk Time, 1St Human To Break Speed Of Sound

jcw

How about with starting with using the metric system, using figures in meter and kilometer when talking about length and distances.

Then have you at least a little international spin. Imperial units aren't really used in Thailand. ;-)

FYI the international system for aviation uses altitude in feet, speed in knots and distances in nautical miles. A nautical mile is far more practical than a kilometer in that one nautical mile subtends exactly one minute of arc at sea level.

Edited by cloudhopper

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about with starting with using the metric system, using figures in meter and kilometer when talking about length and distances.

Then have you at least a little international spin. Imperial units aren't really used in Thailand. ;-)

FYI the international system for aviation uses altitude in feet, speed in knots and distances in nautical miles. A nautical mile is far more practical than a kilometer in that one nautical mile subtends exactly one minute of arc at sea level.

Of Longitude. The line going North South (Up and down)

1 knot = 1 NM /hr which is also 1min of longitude. It makes map reading much easier and very logical.

Feet for altitude is just one of those things that is international, just one thing that has not change. There is no logical advantage changing to meters.

Although some countries have tried. I believe Russia (USSR) tried it.

I am a metric brain, I have no probs with feet.

For all you horny Pattaya gents, 6082 is the magic number in feet for a mile high........

PS, I loved the lego Felix in post #60

Edited by chantsurfer

I thought it was 5,280 feet in a mile?

There come the problems. As for the feets there are also different miles.

And i cannot be sure what kind of mile some newspaper article or a random forum dude is using, same goes for the feets.

Its a little bit different than looking at the instruments in a cockpit or if i know that a pilot is speaking.

And didn't failed some NASA mission recently for because different systems where used?

Scientists and engineers will tell you metric is the way to go.

Feet for altitude is just one of those things that is international, just one thing that has not change. There is no logical advantage changing to meters.

I think the fact that altitude is measured in feet has already been explained.