Best Place To Rent A Small Car

I usually use Fast Cars who deal with the big compaies like Avis And Budget etc and there is a clause that you cannot take the vehicle out of Thailand. If there are companies that will allow the vehicle to leave Thailand then i would like to know too.

I usually use Fast Cars who deal with the big compaies like Avis And Budget etc and there is a clause that you cannot take the vehicle out of Thailand. If there are companies that will allow the vehicle to leave Thailand then i would like to know too.

You can always leave the Thai side and walk through

That is true but i understood what the OP meant ,and what i was curious about, was actually driving around in Malaysia (or perhaps Cambodia at some time) . I would guess it is an Insurance thing as well preventing you driving it across an border.

That is true but i understood what the OP meant ,and what i was curious about, was actually driving around in Malaysia (or perhaps Cambodia at some time) . I would guess it is an Insurance thing as well preventing you driving it across an border.

It is for the insurance.

Talk to the rental company - some will let you do this, but it will be more expensive.

Or - take a bus to the border and when you reach your destination - rent in that country???

If you just need to cross the border and get re-stamped back in, to Thailand, I would just park the car on this side, stamp your self out of Thailand, walk the one km or so to Malaysian border, and walk back.

Or there are taxi's that will run you back and forth... ask around & check the prices!

From my experience, avoid Sunday afternoon, there can be a long wait.... getting out of Thailand!

Cannot suggest a rental company, follow some suggestions already posted.

Edited by samuijimmy

Thank u for the replies

Sorry, did not have my specs on and missed the part that you were wanting to drive into Malaysia....

Two things you will probably need to do, before leaving, assuming rental company will let you go across the border....:

1 Have the Thai license plate translated to English .... Perhaps done with larger companies like Avis...? (Perhaps too, they will do the insurance???)

2. If not, and assuming they say OK to cross ..... Just after you cross the border (Sadeo at least) there is an insurance and Malaysian license place on the right side of the road. They will sell insurance and give you the license sticker in English....

At least that is how it works with a motorbike...

If that does not work, you may have to get to Penang and rent a car from there.... nothing much before there, that I remember seeing.

Perhaps someone who has done it with a rental car will post.... wink.png