Offshore Oil Gas Jobs In Asia

At the end of the month Febuary I have my basic survival course booked and then at the start of April I have my "Greenhand" course booked.

I would like to know if there are any companies/agencies that employ poeple new to this kind of work or are there any members of TV out there in this field that could help me I am curently in the UK.

I work in Oil & Gas/Chemi/Pharma, my O&G is not specific to Offshore, but what I can tell you is that jobs in Thailand, when they come up, are looking for experience and if you are freelancing as oposed to already working for one of the end users/main contractors then you'll be up against the local expat job mafia.

OK its not a mafia with guns, but the real money jobs in Thailand are pretty much tied down.

My advice would be go to www.oilandgasjobsearch.com and see what is available world wide. You'll probably decide, as most do, that the best option is follow the money and then R&R in Thailand.

I'd add I did over twelve years in Thailand and quit to go elsewhere when my employers offered me a reduced deal - I have not looked back. Working in Thailand is competative, and the deals are getting worse.

Without experience theres little to no chance of getting offshore work in Thailand / Asia, companys only employ expats @ the Assistant driller and above levels.

Having said that, once you have experience there are jobs around if you know which door to knock on. I have numerous friends earning $120'000+ offshore in the Gulf of Thailand, and others who only have a 3hr flight from BKK to work :o

My advice would be go to www.oilandgasjobsearch.com and see what is available world wide. You'll probably decide, as most do, that the best option is follow the money and then R&R in Thailand.

Some other sites:

www.rigzone.com

www.worldwideworker.com

www.oilandgasiq.com

There's a lot work once you're in and with rotation Thailand ain't that far wherever you work so you always got plenty of opportunity to blow your money in Thailand.

Without experience theres little to no chance of getting offshore work in Thailand / Asia, companys only employ expats @ the Assistant driller and above levels.

Having said that, once you have experience there are jobs around if you know which door to knock on. I have numerous friends earning $120'000+ offshore in the Gulf of Thailand, and others who only have a 3hr flight from BKK to work :o

I think the hardest part will be getting experience so I think I will have to look closer to home so how do you get the experience....

I work for a recruitment company, recently we are working on an assignment -- a client is looking for Subcontracting & Commercial Manager in oil & gas industry, if you are in this field. feel free to forward me your CV :o

Does that include me are there any positions for roustabouts at all

There are a lot of us out there STEALTH, whilst I am not in operations the only rousties I see around are TCN's run by us expats. We have Thais, Flips, Indians, Russians, Other East EU types with us at the top of the food chain. Infact we do not have any expats below Supervisor level.

(I use expat to describe us, I do nto know any other way of putting it)

Your best bet is get a gig with a local operator for a few years, or perhaps a degree!

I think the hardest part will be getting experience so I think I will have to look closer to home so how do you get the experience....

The North Sea :D

Is it easy getting experience in the North Sea there are so many companies claiming we can get you work for a fee of course.

STEALTH,

This is what I would do:-

Go up to Aberdeen (plan on at least a months stay), find out which pubs are popular with the offshore workers.

Make friends with the bar-staff and let them know that you are looking for any kind of job on a rig.

They will then point you at the right people.

Send over a beer to the right person and get chatting. The rest is up to you.

It's a small industry and you have to be at the right place at the right time. It also helps immensely if you know someone on the inside.

You can try getting a job on a rig that is not oil related, like an assistant cook. Once you are on the rig itself, it will be easier to get to know the right people.

The oil industry is screaming for people at the moment, but you still have to have experience, or, if no experience, the right degrees.

Try the plan above, I think it's your best bet.

Is it easy getting experience in the North Sea there are so many companies claiming we can get you work for a fee of course.

If you have yer survival as Sir Burr says, goto Aberdeen. If you don't walk round with your eyes closed, you have a handfull of job offers within days :D

If you have yer survival as Sir Burr says, goto Aberdeen. If you don't walk round with your eyes closed, you have a handfull of job offers within days :D

Well at the start of March I am in Aberdeen well Dyce for a week doing my "Greenhand" course the training building is next to Noble so I will have to call in to see them and I could get some leads to things whilst doing both courses.

What is a 'Greenhand' course?

I was offshore Aberdeen for a while before moving to Thailand and to work abroad. There seemed to be plenty of work if you don't mind jumping from rig to rig.

Try these numbers. They are the two companys and numbers that kept me busy.

Wood group 01224 851000

KBR 01224 777616

I am also very interested in getting started as a roustabout.

Stealth can you tell me what that course costs?

Do you have any experience in construction or something? I am in accountancy now but tired of it and looking for a new cahllenge, but I daon't know if it is a problem that I don't have any experience with working with my hands

a bag of sticky rice sez hes been offered a job already :o

Who's been offered a job not me just yet. Here is whats the "GREENHAND" Course is about I have been told by many agencies you need this along with the survival course.

Thanks. I know what a Greenhand is now. I know them as deck hands.

It seems like a good way to get into offshore work.