Defrauded By Another Farang; What Would You Do?

rideswings

Im here for a few months and bought a used motorcycle from another foreigner last week. He swore to me that the bike ran perfectly and needed nothing, so I bought it. His reason for selling it was because he was "buying a new bike." The next morning the bike would not start. I told him of the problem, we took the bike to a dealer that the seller suggested and he told them to diagnose the problem and tell us how much it will cost to fix and we left it there for the night. The seller promised me many many times in front of my gf that he would pay for everything it cost to fix the bike.

The next morning the dealer called me and told me it will cost 10,000 baht to fix it because it might have been modified and he could not repair it without rebuilding the whole engine. After receiving the call from the dealer, i tried to call the seller but his number wasnt working and has not been working for the past 3 days. My emails too him have been returned failed.

I decided to sell the bike for a 4,000 baht loss because I could not get it to start, but the guy who bought it from me was able to get it started after alot of trying. I made it very clear before I sold it that it was hard to start in the morning.

Today I did a little investigating and found out that the seller happens to rent motorbikes out for a living and has a shop with 3 or 4 other motorbikes and bicycles for rent. This bike was part of his rental fleet he has on his website, I actually saw it in one of his pictures. He made no mention of that in the ad or at any time before I bought the bike. Had I known, I would not have bought the bike.

So I guess my question is what if any are my choices to try and get the 4000 baht back from the seller? I now know where his shop is, and some of my friends suggested I pay someone threatening to visit his business and get the money back for me, or take it out of his hide, but being a gentleman, I will not stoop down and cause the seller any violence, thats just not the way I am. I was considering calling the tourist police or getting an attorney, not sure if either of those choices would help me.

Anyone else been ripped off by a fellow farang?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My gf has asked me not to do that for fear that I lose my temper with the guy and something ugly might ensue.

Why not go to his shop and confront him ? He is avoiding you.. maybe make a scene ect.

Did you think other farangs were more honest then Thais.. there are bad apples anywhere.

lol i realize its not alot of money but...

Yeah, I know the bad taste it leaves in your mouth........I've been there. You can confront him as advised, but he might also 'have friends' and taking other action might cost you more than you think.

My gf has asked me not to do that for fear that I lose my temper with the guy and something ugly might ensue.

Why not go to his shop and confront him ? He is avoiding you.. maybe make a scene ect.

Did you think other farangs were more honest then Thais.. there are bad apples anywhere.

If your a hot head then i would not confront him, im not suggesting violence here. Actually im against violence in any way it can go wrong so quickly. Not only can you get hurt but you migh just hurt the guy serious and end up in jail.

I avoid fighting unless i absolutely have no other choice.

The confrontation would be in his shop and only by words not fists. He is avoiding you so he knows he is wrong.

Yeah, I know the bad taste it leaves in your mouth........I've been there. You can confront him as advised, but he might also 'have friends' and taking other action might cost you more than you think.

That is one of the things why i do follow up on those kind of things if i can. The taste in my mouth drives me. When i feel wronged i don't give up easy (within reason). I would not let it go that easy. But as others say life is short.. but i just hate getting ripped off.

Caveat Emptor!

Many years ago I bought a car from a private ad in a newspaper. It drove ok on a short test drive but soon after developed problems and it turned out to have a cracked head!

That experience taught me to only buy from a recognised dealer, or at least have any vehicle checked by an independent qualified mechanic before purchase.

A lesson I hope you have now learned.

If your a hot head then i would not confront him, im not suggesting violence here. Actually im against violence in any way it can go wrong so quickly. Not only can you get hurt but you migh just hurt the guy serious and end up in jail.

I avoid fighting unless i absolutely have no other choice.

The confrontation would be in his shop and only by words not fists. He is avoiding you so he knows he is wrong.

Thanks for your and others advice. Im going to sleep on it.

Maybe it has been a cheap lesson...

That is one of the things why i do follow up on those kind of things if i can. The taste in my mouth drives me. When i feel wronged i don't give up easy (within reason). I would not let it go that easy. But as others say life is short.. but i just hate getting ripped off.

I can see the point of following it up and trying to rectify the situation, but as you have pointed out if the OP is a bit hot headed it might be better just to leave it. In these situations you have to know when to fold (unless you have big muscles) wink.png

I can see the point of following it up and trying to rectify the situation, but as you have pointed out if the OP is a bit hot headed it might be better just to leave it. In these situations you have to know when to fold (unless you have big muscles) wink.png

If your a hot head better not do stuff like that, things can go wrong in a fight easily. Someone slips.. or falls and hits his head. Then one of the two is standing and will probably be arrested. I wonder who is better off then... that is why i don't like to fight. The one standing might end up in jail and the one not standing in hospital or worse.. neither will be real happy. Its not like in the movies where someone takes a real beating and walks away.

Yep, Im sure he has done it before and will do it again. If he does it to the wrong person some time, he will be very sorry thats for sure.

Maybe he should go into the jet ski rental business.

You may be out of pocket my friend but the cheat is the one with the real problem in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by rideswings

Sorry that you were done by that low-life. I can understand that it feels bad, but to try to look for a positive, being 4000 baht out of pocket is a lot better than if you had kept the bike and continually paid out to repair an unreliable machine. I hope you can put this behind you, and then move forward (no pun intended!) to find a better bike.

Good luck!

if I recall correctly this bike was a Yamaha Mio with an asking price of 16000 baht so u are complaining about losing 4000 baht to someone who was just trying to shift a bike on..u must have tested it and been happy to hand over the money so u have little to complain about..........the thing here is the thai mechanic who told u that the problem would cost 10,000 baht to fix, he was taking u for a ride for sure as the problem was probably a dodgy coil of dirty carb.......next time buy a new bike ride it for two years and then ask 6000 baht less than u paid for it which is what happens in Thailand (the land of virtually no depreciation)

• Like 1

I have little to complain about? If it were your money, Im sure you wouldnt think its little. He lied or deceived about practically every aspect of the sale and then he would not stand behind his promise to fix it by avoiding my calls and emails..And you are saying that the mechanic was dishonest? I think you need to use some logic before you post because what you wrote makes no sense at all. It sounds like you are calling the seller an honest man and the dealer a liar hahaha

Oh, btw, I told the seller I wanted to take the bike to my mechanic the day it wouldnt start, but he insisted we take it to HIS mechanic who quoted 10,000 baht. Thats the last I heard from the seller.

Thanks once again to everyone for your opinions and advice.

if I recall correctly this bike was a Yamaha Mio with an asking price of 16000 baht so u are complaining about losing 4000 baht to someone who was just trying to shift a bike on..u must have tested it and been happy to hand over the money so u have little to complain about..........the thing here is the thai mechanic who told u that the problem would cost 10,000 baht to fix, he was taking u for a ride for sure as the problem was probably a dodgy coil of dirty carb.......next time buy a new bike ride it for two years and then ask 6000 baht less than u paid for it which is what happens in Thailand (the land of virtually no depreciation)

Edited by rideswings

OP,

I know you are upset but perhaps this news story can help you put your loss in perspective to the "grander scheme of things" over what can go wrong over the purchase of a motorcycle:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/09/04/national/Two-held-in-alleged-murder-of-Frenchman-over-motor-30164456.html

The thing is, just because someone else is Falang does not mean that they should necessarily be given trust so easily. Yeah sure they speak the same language as you, but back in the homeland you don't necessarily trust everyone because they are from your country. It's so easy to fall into the trap in Thailand...hey they're Falang...they would never cheat another Falang. Well, in Thailand a Thai can feed on Thai and Falang, a Falang can only feed on another Falang.

• Like 1