Got Into A Traffic Accident

alexpoker

Hello all.

Driving down a small Soi in drunken state I hit a moving car on the side in an intersection. Car swerved somewhat into a restaurant and has some damages on the side as well as some minor wall was knocked down in the restaurant.

I broke my femur and somehow got acute pneumonia while in hospital. Im expecting a 150k bill (no insurance). What are my chioces in regards to damages. Need to pay for car and restaurant. Is it possible for the cars own insurance to cover his damages if I don't have the money? Can anyone recommend a good lawyer in chiang mai?

I obviously know that I'm at fault here but if I can make some sorta deal with car owner that would be cool too.

Please advise especially those who've tried this before.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm expecting some colorful comments on this one. ;)

Having a couple drinks is one thing, but apparently you were speeding too, down a soi? That's really quite nuts.

Anyway to answer your question: this is Thailand, everything is negotiable. Work out some sort of payment amount and payment schedule. The restaurant damage can't be too much, just rebuilding some stuff which isn't too much money usually. Car can be a lot depending on the damage; are there pictures?

Either way I think you'll save the most money by being on top of repair costs and negotiate the cost and payment schedule. You'll want to keep this away from lawyers or courts or it'll cost you even more. You'd be nuts to go that route. And finally your hospital bills can be negotiated too; if you haven't talked money with the hospital then don't wait another second.

From what I hear, the hospital will hold your passport until you have made payment. You will not be able to to leave the hospital let alone the country until their bill has been paid. Like "Winnie" said, this is the time to smile and negotiate the best you can. Keep this between you and the car owner as bringing in lawyer will only bring in the law, which will literally add insult to injury.

Good Luck

A vulgar profanity post has been removed.

Another post using Thai language has been removed. This is an English language forum, English language is the only acceptable language except in the Thai language forum where Thai is allowed.

Another post using pigeon Thai has been removed.

From what I hear, the hospital will hold your passport until you have made payment. You will not be able to to leave the hospital let alone the country until their bill has been paid. Like "Winnie" said, this is the time to smile and negotiate the best you can. Keep this between you and the car owner as bringing in lawyer will only bring in the law, which will literally add insult to injury.

Good Luck

I think he can leave the hospital, but they will keep his passport until the bill is paid.

Good Luck

I think he can leave the hospital, but they will keep his passport until the bill is paid.

I'm pretty sure that is what CMSteve meant. They definitely will let you leave the hospital!

Maybe he should have asked where he could get a taxi so he could avoid driving drunk, or where he could get insurance for when he chooses to drive drunk anyway.

Insurance companies do not want idiots who drink/drive - they would not have covered him even if he did have insurance.

• Like 1

Maybe he should have asked where he could get a taxi so he could avoid driving drunk, or where he could get insurance for when he chooses to drive drunk anyway.

Insurance companies do not want idiots who drink/drive - they would not have covered him even if he did have insurance.

From what I'm told, here at the hospital, they are not obligated to tell the insurance company wether you were drunk when you wre admitted. Lots if ppl still get insurance covered even if they were drunk at the time.

Deserve all you get and more. Drink drivers are scum of the earth. You obviously have no thought or respect for others. You drink and drive and are too stingy and ignorant to even get insurance in case your thoughtless habit injures/damages someone else or their property.

Edited by sbk
threats removed
  • Like 2

Deserve all you get and more. Drink drivers are scum of the earth. You obviously have no thought or respect for others. You drink and drive and are too stingy and ignorant to even get insurance in case your thoughtless habit injures/damages someone else or their property.

agreed. i too like to set a good example to my own family about the perils of drink-driving by murdering people.

Edited by sbk
  • Like 2

What would you do if was your family? The posters on here advising him how to buy his way out of it are only encouraging him to do it again.

Edited by sbk

Just to make things clear, I'm very very happy that noone else got hurt. Having someone else's death or major injury on your conscious is never a pleasant thing.

However I'm lucky enough that the only person to get physically harmed is myself.

In to the question at hand. I've heard some friends back in Phuket got into similar situations and were told to sign some papers which ended up with them having to pay 90k+ baht.

To avoid any situation like this I was thinking it might be a good idea to have a lawyer at hand.

It's not that I want to fight this in court. I just want to avoid getting scammed

Just to make things clear, I'm very very happy that noone else got hurt. Having someone else's death or major injury on your conscious is never a pleasant thing.

However I'm lucky enough that the only person to get physically harmed is myself.

In to the question at hand. I've heard some friends back in Phuket got into similar situations and were told to sign some papers which ended up with them having to pay 90k+ baht.

To avoid any situation like this I was thinking it might be a good idea to have a lawyer at hand.

It's not that I want to fight this in court. I just want to avoid getting scammed

You dont want to get scammed but you are quite willing to put others lives at risk by your actions?? as I said selfish!

Avoiding getting scammed should be less than avoiding being carted off to immigration/jail cells until all is paid in full.

When is your (90/60/30/15 day?)permission of stay up? If you haven't got your passport back by then and the police know all about it I'd start worrying.

I feel for the owner of the restaurant and the car, some drunken idiot does damage and can't even pay it. They are faced with the problems and will just have to pray they get money.Hope they throw the guy in jail for a while till his family pays up or something like that.

Drunk drivers really are the worst, to stingy to take a cab or even have insurance.

I feel for the owner of the restaurant and the car, some drunken idiot does damage and can't even pay it. They are faced with the problems and will just have to pray they get money.Hope they throw the guy in jail for a while till his family pays up or something like that.

Drunk drivers really are the worst, to stingy to take a cab or even have insurance.

Well sir. I know that particular restaurant and they are known for their stinky bathrooms, charging for water and have been rumored to serve up alley cats as chicken dishes. In my humble opinion that restaurant had it coming!!!!

• Like 1

I looked into what can be negotiated and I think first step here at rajavej hospital is that you can buy a 100 baht VIP card, that gives you 10% off all medication.

I guess after that you could try negotiating more.

Yes, and discuss all treatments. Every time that nurse comes in with a little tray with paracetamols will result in a line item on your bill. You want to get out of the hospital as soon as possible, so you can buy medication at pharmacies.

From what I'm told, here at the hospital, they are not obligated to tell the insurance company wether you were drunk when you wre admitted. Lots if ppl still get insurance covered even if they were drunk at the time.

Indeed. Also it's no issue to deal with the insurance people the next day. I had to use my insurnce twice this year, and they're mostly interested in establishing who was actually at the wheel, making the other party establihs in writing that it actually was me who was driving.

Both mishaps were very minor, fortunately. Still I have insurance for a reason so no shy to use it. It's also very affordable (when you only cover stuff that you break, not your own vehicle) so no reason not to get it.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Curiously, the facts as presented by OP do not include excessive drinking being reported to the authorities, as yet. In fact, it is not clear where the owners of the victim car and restaurant are in this case, from the point of view of claims, holds on OP, or leverage in CM.

Wrong as he admits to have been, OP is asking for specific assistance with regard to different claims against him. Because so much depends upon the facts of the case and parties involved (and while I agree that interpersonal negotiating is far better than the courts/police/law route) I suppose that solutions are best found with an advocate, for the sake of all, including claimants Probably this advocate will be a lawyer/solicitor/slimeball, but OP's question is simple:

Does anyone know a reliable councilor who would represent him best? Language, as well as culture, of course, must be translated into practice - for all concerned.

How can you fight this in court. You were drunk driving. You were wrong. No thought for other people or their property. End of story.

Whatever you have to pay is not enough, in many countries you could have ended up in jail.

Be thankful this time, pay up and don't be so stupid and thoughtless again

Jeez, some really friendly people on here! The OP has admitted he was at fault, we all make mistakes. Drunk driving is the most stupid. But I'm sure the poor guy realises that now. No one killed, that's the main thing.

My advice would be not to bother with a lawyer. You will have to pay a fair whack. Contact tourist police, if you haven't already. They will probably help you negotiate a suitable settlement for the damage to the 3rd party's car and the restaurant. 1155 tourist police number.

Good luck.

• Like 2