Got Into A Traffic Accident

alexpoker

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this will be an expensive lesson to you. And I know it is meaningless now, but motorcycle insurance is very, very cheap and I believe our m/c policy pays up to 200,000 THB in property damage to the other party. (That would cover your situation and then some). I don't recall how much per year it is, but it is so cheap that the g/f's brother picks up the tab each year and refuses to be reimbursed - and he is tight with his money!

And the insurance company will still pay out if you are drunk?

I think this will be an expensive lesson to you. And I know it is meaningless now, but motorcycle insurance is very, very cheap and I believe our m/c policy pays up to 200,000 THB in property damage to the other party. (That would cover your situation and then some). I don't recall how much per year it is, but it is so cheap that the g/f's brother picks up the tab each year and refuses to be reimbursed - and he is tight with his money!

And the insurance company will still pay out if you are drunk?

The insurance company would in all likelihood, not know he was drunk. He never said, but I doubt the police at the scene of the accident checked this and by law his doctor does not have to disclose this providing they did check his blood. The OP even said "From what I'm told, here at the hospital, they are not obligated to tell the insurance company whether you were drunk when you were admitted."

From the photos

I would conclude the car driver was drunk, lost control of his car, and drove into a wall at speed. You were perfectly sober at the time, but driving a little bit too close behind, and failed to stop in time.

How does that story work for you?

Never ever admit liability to anything.

(This is the advice given by all UK insurance companies)

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Ive been msging with car owner. He sent me some pics.

Says they haven't started fixing the car yet, which seems weird to me. He's waiting for money from me I guess?

If it was in the US, that car would be considered totaled. 130k baht sounds about right, the guy is not bullshitting you. If anything, you're getting off cheap. Try to negotiate it down a bit if you can.

On another note, depending on his insurance (uninsured driver policy) they should cover the damage regardless of fault.

just found out car owner does not have insurance, the 130k appraisal was done at a Honda dealer

Can you check if he have a valid DL? whistling.gif

Good point Semper, my wife was driving the pickup, bus hit her, their insurance company came out, asked to see her insurance, tax and DL. She doesn't have a DL ...... sorry they say, our drivers fault but we don't have to pay.

Can't say I understand the OP at all

Driving with no tax, no insurance, no DL, drunk, admits to all sorts of stuff (not sure who he admits it all to). Doesn't check out the other drivers documentation or intoxication levels.

Either the daftest driver in the world or a troll.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

just found out car owner does not have insurance, the 130k appraisal was done at a Honda dealer

Can you check if he have a valid DL? whistling.gif

Good point Semper, my wife was driving the pickup, bus hit her, their insurance company came out, asked to see her insurance, tax and DL. She doesn't have a DL ...... sorry they say, our drivers fault but we don't have to pay.

Driving with no tax, no insurance, no DL, drunk, admits to all sorts of stuff (not sure who he admits it all to). Doesn't check out the other drivers documentation or intoxication levels.

I can confirm he's not a troll, so it must be the other one crazy.gif

Edited by ha55ha

Can you check if he have a valid DL?    whistling.gif

I can confirm he's not a troll, so it must be the other one crazy.gif

Thank you for the authentication. Thanks to you we can safely disregard all thoughts of trolling. ;)

I hope all the people on here with their holier than thou attitude remember their remarks on here if they ever make a mistake and ask for advice. Karma has a strange way of biting you on the arse.

T, you took the words right out of my mouth. The guy admitted he was at fault and wants to settle the damages as best he can. Hope he finds a way to make fair restitution.

Agree. At least this guy was honest from the outset. A typical TV member would come on here and blame the other driver, the hospital, the Thai police, Thai justice system, Thai insurance company, and anyone else but themselves. Good luck to him.

• Like 1

Your joking right.. that is a major impact on the car. I would not think a small bike could make that much damage. It looks similar to my jazz when we hit a concrete wall at 70/80 km hrs (ok ours was a bit worse) We had over 600k damages and it was total.

I wish you good luck and hope the owner of the car gets his money one way or the other. Even if you have to stay in jail till you pay up. He should not suffer for your mistakes.

Maybe it was the car that "demolished" the restaurant? BTW, who was responsible for the mistake hitting a concrete wall at 80km/h in your case? rolleyes.gif

Your joking right.. that is a major impact on the car. I would not think a small bike could make that much damage. It looks similar to my jazz when we hit a concrete wall at 70/80 km hrs (ok ours was a bit worse) We had over 600k damages and it was total.

I wish you good luck and hope the owner of the car gets his money one way or the other. Even if you have to stay in jail till you pay up. He should not suffer for your mistakes.

Maybe it was the car that "demolished" the restaurant? BTW, who was responsible for the mistake hitting a concrete wall at 80km/h in your case? rolleyes.gif

My wife as she was driving, i was a passenger. I just feel that people who get into trouble because of the mistake of others (the guy was at fault drinking and driving) should not suffer.

Loosing your car for a couple of months and having it fixed up is not fun at all especially if it happens because of someone else. So I don't feel for the OP but for his victims.

In my case the insurance paid out and we got off great, gotten more as we had if we sold it. But in a way still lost money because we had to buy a new car. But ok that is life, was her mistake and my good fortune i always insisted on paying extra to insure the car extra high. The extra premium was well spend, but i rather had that never happened.

must have some exaggeration. a impact at 80km/h will probably leave you nothing similar to the ts pic. the engine block, headlights, front frame, front windscreen, side mirrors are all still intact. a 64km/l impact leaves you nothing of the mentioned.

jazz03.jpg

edited:

i have to admit my mistake. local concrete walls are often quite miserable, i think you are right thumbsup.gif

Edited by barefoot1988

My wife as she was driving, i was a passenger. I just feel that people who get into trouble because of the mistake of others (the guy was at fault drinking and driving) should not suffer.

Loosing your car for a couple of months and having it fixed up is not fun at all especially if it happens because of someone else. So I don't feel for the OP but for his victims.

In my case the insurance paid out and we got off great, gotten more as we had if we sold it. But in a way still lost money because we had to buy a new car. But ok that is life, was her mistake and my good fortune i always insisted on paying extra to insure the car extra high. The extra premium was well spend, but i rather had that never happened.

So, your wife was responsible for totaling the car, but you/she had an "extra premium" insurance that covered every possible mishaps/lack of driving skills. IMO, people who need this kind of security, should not be allowed on public roads.

• Like 2

So, your wife was responsible for totaling the car, but you/she had an "extra premium" insurance that covered every possible mishaps/lack of driving skills. IMO, people who need this kind of security, should not be allowed on public roads.

Yes Semper, you are right. She is a great driver, but for some reason she fell asleep. Last thing i could do was scream something in my mother tongue and then it was too late. Could happen to anyone.

The extra premium im talking about, is just a few 1000 bt. You can pay more for an insurance if they give a higher total loss value. I actually had it because i was worried the car would get stolen. I never expected anything like this. The cheapest insurance isn't always the best one. I just like to have stuff like bail bond too. As i have read some of your post you like to drink your beers near a local 711 so i can't imagine you having anything more as a motorcycle so you don't have to worry about stuff like this. Lucky you.

what if he doesnt have a DL?

Then nothing. Doesn't look like anybody is trying to rip you off, you understand yourself that you were the one at fault, so I can't see why anyone would do anything but pay up.

Well, anyone except the lowlifes posting suggestions and "hints" on how to try to weasel out of this, leaving the innocent party stuck with the bill. If karma is good for anything, when it is they who are walking or riding down the road wrong, the driver will keep driving as he were, rather than risk more damage to his car by swerving and trying to avoid a lowlife tourist.

She is a great driver, but for some reason she fell asleep. Last thing i could do was scream something in my mother tongue and then it was too late. Could happen to anyone.

Note to self: don't leave the house, there might be drivers (sober) out there , that suddenly fall asleep and may hit you with their vehicle.

Edited by Semper
  • Like 2

She is a great driver, but for some reason she fell asleep. Last thing i could do was scream something in my mother tongue and then it was too late. Could happen to anyone.

Note to self: don't leave the house, there might be drivers (sober) out there , that suddenly fall asleep and may hit you with their vehicle.

Note to Semper, sorry to see you can't even remember important things. Your posting note's to self allover the forum. I won't make fun of it age related dementia is a sad thing. Im feel for your Semper.

Note to Semper, sorry to see you can't even remember important things. Your posting note's to self allover the forum. I won't make fun of it age related dementia is a sad thing. Im feel for your Semper.

hehe...maybe Semper is right ?!...the fallen asleep driver is as dangerous as...drunk driver ?!...only soberwhistling.gif

• Like 2

I was just thinking of some 'reverse' situation,if the guy on the motorbike was a local driver and the driver of the car was a farang....how this would change the outcome of who pays whom ?!rolleyes.gif

The dude on the bike would likely be sans funds and unable to pay and the farang in the car (with no insurance, as with the guy in the Jazz) would have to lump it... I suspect.

Edited by jackr

hehe...maybe Semper is right ?!...the fallen asleep driver is as dangerous as...drunk driver ?!...only soberwhistling.gif

I agree they are both dangerous, the difference being that nobody chooses to fall asleep behind the wheel. But driving drunk is a choice, its much more morally repulsive.

I really wonder why there are so many people defending drunk driving. Maybe we just get a bad kind of expat here. Other option is that its more accepted in countries like the UK (most people on the forum are UK) then where i am from the Netherlands do drink and drive.

Just curious why people think its ok to do.

I agree they are both dangerous, the difference being that nobody chooses to fall asleep behind the wheel. But driving drunk is a choice, its much more morally repulsive.

I really wonder why there are so many people defending drunk driving. Maybe we just get a bad kind of expat here. Other option is that its more accepted in countries like the UK (most people on the forum are UK) then where i am from the Netherlands do drink and drive.

You are wrong...nobody here is defending drunk driving...but being tired and driving IS your choice as well !!...I know,I've done that ones...now I just stop and wake up my wife...ooh wait,she never sleeps when I'm driving,guess it's the 'trust' thing smile.png

I can assure you, in the UK it is very much frowned upon.

But coming to Thailand for many people is an escape from the state control of your life in the west, its an opportunity to be free again. I remember stressing about my credit rating being affected because the credit card company had made a mistake on my credit card. The west is nuts about making people do what the state wants them to do. here it is free and drink driving amongst Thais is quite common, though illegal.

The OP has made his choices and ended up in the shits with a broken femur, huge hospital bill and on his exit, more financial concerns. You reep what you sow. The guy knows this, wants to pay his way out, comes on here trying to make sure he doesn't get taken advantage of in doing so. Good luck to him. I'm not going to sit here and judge him on his past choices, we all make choices we later regret, its how we deal with them that shows the truth inside.

• Like 2

I can assure you, in the UK it is very much frowned upon.

But coming to Thailand for many people is an escape from the state control of your life in the west, its an opportunity to be free again. I remember stressing about my credit rating being affected because the credit card company had made a mistake on my credit card. The west is nuts about making people do what the state wants them to do. here it is free and drink driving amongst Thais is quite common, though illegal.

The OP has made his choices and ended up in the shits with a broken femur, huge hospital bill and on his exit, more financial concerns. You reep what you sow. The guy knows this, wants to pay his way out, comes on here trying to make sure he doesn't get taken advantage of in doing so. Good luck to him. I'm not going to sit here and judge him on his past choices, we all make choices we later regret, its how we deal with them that shows the truth inside.

I agree that the guy is doing the right thing. No problems there.

I do judge drunk drivers, i lost a relative to one. So im sensitive, i just think its inexcusable.

This guy is doing the right thing and it is just material damage. But just think of the inconvenience to the people involved. I feel sorry for them not for the guy who caused it.

But yes, this guy is doing the right thing not trying to get out of it.