Navigator Or Using My Galaxy Note As Navigator?

TramsRepus

Hi

Will my Galaxy Note be good enough as a motorcycle navigator or should i buy a dedicated one and which one then?

If the Galaxy Note is good enough, were to find a water tight steering bar holder for it?

I will use it mainly to find dirt-trails and record my paths.

Thanks,

/T

Edited by TramsRepus

Garmin Nuvi is very good - tho' pricey.

I have and HTC Desire HD and use Google Maps. I do not have a dedicated mount, just look up the route and if I miss/can't find a turnoff, then pull it out to see where I made my mistake.

Write some basic notes - like "such and such turn left" and stick it in my pocket for a quick reference.

Works for me as I usually ain't in a hurry.

An added bonus - have found some great spots after making a 'Mistake'

Edited by seedy
  • Like 1

I have used my Galaxy Tab (the original one) as a navigator lots of times. When I bought it, it came with a paid for SpeedNavi app which basically is the same software used by SpeedNavi's own navigator hardware. It was always a great help whenever I got lost (especially that time when I was coming home from the boonies to Chiang Mai and ended up in the outskirts of Lampang with now English signs - just squiggles). I would just put it in the front clear pocket of my tank bag and it's good to go. I think it would be even better if I had a bluetooth system installed in my helmet but I rarely venture out these days and require help with directions.

Before that, I used an HTC Polaris with Garmin Maps installed. One of the funniest moments while using it was with me acting as navigator while my buddy and I were on a roadtrip in Dubai... I was glued to the screen and told him to make a left turn, then he turned right. My eyes still glued to the screen, annoyed, I asked him why he made a right when I told him to make a left. "If I turned left we'd have hit a huge wall...", he replied

If you don't like using a tankbag there are a few waterproof mounts on Amazon for sale.

I think you will find your note does not have working navagation software for thailand. To be clear it will not give audible turn by turn directions. You can buy an app like the above poster mentioned....

In regards to the nuvi you need to investigate the model as some will not create tracks or allow upload of tracks.

GPS are quicker on the location and details, IMHO.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the phone don't hold all the map details on board? While the GPS stores everything on it.

I had to download the Thailand map, but it is now stored in my fone. I do need to use WiFi or GPRS tho'

for my location details.

In regards to the nuvi you need to investigate the model as some will not create tracks or allow upload of tracks.

Nuvi 660 available from Harley Davidson dealer Bangkok was 40K last time I checked. Comes with Thai electrical companies map pre-installed, and if memory serves, an update for one year.

100% waterproof, can use with gloves on, comes with car and bike mounts. Shows terrain features too.

> Will my Galaxy Note be good enough as a motorcycle navigator or should i buy a dedicated one and which one then?

Depends on your needs smile.png

For Navigating in city traffic or in the woods (especially under wet trees) the GPS receiver may not be good enough and show unprecise positions (zick-zack routes while recording tracks). And of course it depends on the navigation software you install on your smartphone.

> If the Galaxy Note is good enough, were to find a water tight steering bar holder for it?

Not sure if it exists and if you still can use the touchscreen then. But with gloves on you will always have problems on smartphones. I would be interested to know details too.

> I will use it mainly to find dirt-trails and record my paths.

Just try it. It should be good enough to get on the right track again if you got lost. And its fun to look at the tracks afterwards. Have fun smile.png

Edited by wantan

Nuvi 660 available from Harley Davidson dealer Bangkok was 40K last time I checked. Comes with Thai electrical companies map pre-installed, and if memory serves, an update for one year.

100% waterproof, can use with gloves on, comes with car and bike mounts. Shows terrain features too.

I thought that was the zumo660.

i've got a Samsung Galaxy Mini and just downloaded the app "my tracks" its google based so works with Google maps and your email... i just transferred below link from my phone which is mix of dirt and road...especially good for recording dirt tracks so you can piece together a good route if you are not familiar with the area... Also has the option to change colour with the speed so you can identify fast or slow trails..

https://maps.google....9fb16e73e&msa=0

Edited by dec

I think you will find your note does not have working navagation software for thailand. To be clear it will not give audible turn by turn directions. You can buy an app like the above poster mentioned....

Doesn't ICS on androids have working maps including navigation????

sent from my ..................#

I use my phone with Garmin Thailand. I also have used Motion X GPS, but I don't think it is available for Android, but there are alternatives such as Skobbler that use OpenStreetMaps. Even when 3G drops off, Edge kicks in and keeps me on course. I have never lost satellite connection, even when in very rural areas of Thailand. Your connection doesn't need to be fast, as it is only telling the software your location. For off-road, I use B.iCycle, which also uses OpenStreetMaps. This would be a good alternative to Motion X for android. It tracks average/max speed, distance traveled tracks my movement, gives me elevation, automatically uploads and/or emails the trip stats and maps to me, and automatically pauses when I stop.

I have my phone mounted on my motorcycle with a hardwired USB charge. It is not waterproof, but I have found that if I am moving, it does not get wet when it is raining.

post-65746-0-30020800-1350400877_thumb.j

the samsung note built in nav does not have active thai maps. You can use google maps but it is the same as reading them but it does update your posistion.

the samsung note built in nav does not have active thai maps. You can use google maps but it is the same as reading them but it does update your posistion.

Really!! Wow. OK..most of the phones I played with at mobile expo running ICS had Google navigation working in beta..but they were Sony Xperia and I-mobile phones so maybe Samsung have deleted this opinion on their phones because they come bundled with Speednavi!

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

i've got a Samsung Galaxy Mini and just downloaded the app "my tracks" its google based so works with Google maps and your email... i just transferred below link from my phone which is mix of dirt and road...especially good for recording dirt tracks so you can piece together a good route if you are not familiar with the area... Also has the option to change colour with the speed so you can identify fast or slow trails..

https://maps.google....9fb16e73e&msa=0

Dec, I could not see any track on that link, just America. Nothing in Thailand

I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace, with the factory installed Google Maps. Comming back from Korat, I loaded a "Korat to Pattaya" trip and used it to navigate. Not ideal but the route remained even though I had no WiFi or GPRS during the ride.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace, with the factory installed Google Maps. Comming back from Korat, I loaded a "Korat to Pattaya" trip and used it to navigate. Not ideal but the route remained even though I had no WiFi or GPRS during the ride.

Did it give you audible turn by turn?

Really!! Wow. OK..most of the phones I played with at mobile expo running ICS had Google navigation working in beta..but they were Sony Xperia and I-mobile phones so maybe Samsung have deleted this opinion on their phones because they come bundled with Speednavi!

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

Mine does not come bundled with speednavi.

i use nothing.

i like to open room for adventure and do not get lost that easily. And get lost where in Thailand? Here is not Amazons so just go 2 km more and you see a village anyway. Just ask them.

But, i like to get lost:)

I learned all the roads in Bangkok by getting lost and it is the best way to learn as you never forget the hard waysmile.png

But, i admit, i sometime check my route before starting to drive around up country and some tricky addresses in Bangkok but never while riding.

How our fathers find their ways 30 years ago guys? Think about it.

GPS makes us lazy man.

i use nothing.

i like to open room for adventure and do not get lost that easily. And get lost where in Thailand? Here is not Amazons so just go 2 km more and you see a village anyway. Just ask them.

I learned all the roads in Bangkok by getting lost and it is the best way to learn as you never forget the hard waysmile.png

But, i admit, i sometime check my route before starting to drive around up country and some tricky addresses in Bangkok but never while riding.

GPS makes us lazy man.

30 years ago there were less roads and less traffic to worry about. Its good that you have internal GPS and can speak and read Thai :D:P

i use nothing.

GPS makes us lazy man.

30 years ago there were less roads and less traffic to worry about. Its good that you have internal GPS and can speak and read Thai biggrin.pngtongue.png

cannot read Thai but can speak some to survive.

Yes man, i have an inner GPS and it is working sometime. if it is not working that day, i spent the night on the nearest village with a nice family anyway so no problems.

been there done that especially while i was riding in India and Nepal.smile.png.

i use nothing.

GPS makes us lazy man.

True, I use GPS alot, but I really learn the roads when I don't use it. I have driven the same route dozens of times over years and not learned a route until I just turn the GPS off. I have no internal GPS, I use the sun!

i use nothing.

GPS makes us lazy man.

True, I use GPS alot, but I really learn the roads when I don't use it. I have driven the same route dozens of times over years and not learned a route until I just turn the GPS off. I have no internal GPS, I use the sun!

gps makes us dependent man for sure. Killing our instincts and direction sense. Same as ABS which is killing the braking mastery.

The best way to learn the roads is by getting lost. Hard lesson is always the best lessonbiggrin.png

Edited by loserlazer