Experts See Bright Outlook For Samui Hospitality Sector

"Experts are upbeat about the prospects for the hospitality industry on Koh Samui this year and in the future, in line with the national tourism outlook and despite the European financial crisis continuing to pose a risk to the sector.

This year saw stronger demand on the resort island during July and August, which have a profound impact on annual trading figures. Expectation is therefore that the overall annual occupancy rate will move up by a few

percentage points from the 67-per-cent level achieved in the first half, said Bill Barnett, managing director of C9 Hotelworks, the major Asia-Pacific hospitality asset management and consulting firm."

continued .. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Experts-see-bright-outlook-for-Samui-hospitality-s-30192382.html

My personal definition of an expert - "someone unable to do the real job, but good at criticising others and giving an opinion on how they think that the job should be done".

clap2.gif

Here's another definition of your expert.

X = an unknown quantity; spurt = a big drip under pressure.

• Like 1

Something else the "experts' neglected to comment on is that the vast majority of chinese tourists are spending their time on Phuket not here basicallt because they can fly there very cheaply and direct too i believe. i think we are all very aware that those two scenarios do not apply here!

Something else the "experts' neglected to comment on is that the vast majority of chinese tourists are spending their time on Phuket not here basicallt because they can fly there very cheaply and direct too i believe. i think we are all very aware that those two scenarios do not apply here!

From memory, we did have a direct charter flight from China to Samui - once! (China Airlines? Not 100% sure which one.)

I have also had customers who flew from India to Samui direct, but it was their own private jet! giggle.gif

But seriously Carmine, you are correct. These two examples are almost as rare as rocking horse <deleted>.

I wonder why the Chinal Airlines one never took off again. Probably the 'landing fees'.

There is an interest in the Chinese coming here though. I was talking to a Chinese guy the other day and he is looking at buying property here just for renting out. He will also be bringing a few friends to do the same. He sees definite possibilities for the Chinese market.

A small drop in the ocean maybe - but all positive signs.

Well, there are flights to and from Hong Kong, does that not count as China? .... Same Same ... but different ! whistling.gifsmile.png

Remember too, a lot of people come here on Package deals. (not just Chinese) .... so most things paid up front, including air fair, so no worries!

Flight whether direct or not, Hotel and perhaps most food included... Playing it "safe" ... this works for some people, but certainly not all, especially "seasoned travelers" .... all types of tourists and budgets, need to be catered too... wink.png

Another thing too is that as from Dec 10th Emirates are going to be flying direct to Phuket from Dubai instead of via Swampy.

I already have quite a few friends who used to come to Samui but now have all changed as they can now fly direct to Phuket and not bother about having to change flights or pay ridiculous flight prices to Samui.

Less hassle too without having to change at Swampy.

I know this is just a tiny example but i wonder how many others will have taken notice of this and also desert Samui. I'm not sure about the costs mind you, not had a chance to look deeper into the prices but just for convenience sake i know some who are going to Phuket now instead.

In a selfish way it's a good thing, as mentioned in the report it means Samui could be protected from being completely overrun by tourists though unliike some other part of Thailand. smile.png

My personal definition of an expert - "someone unable to do the real job, but good at criticising others and giving an opinion on how they think that the job should be done".

Well if the futures so bright perhaps the "experts" might explain how all these tourists are going to get to Samui because Bangkok Airways cannot provide enough flights as they have already proven.

gettting a flight out ofsamui in the peak season is like rush hour on the M25 ona bad day. Thai airways has pulled out of samui obviously not worth the hassle and the high rental prices.

New airport new airport!!!!

it amazes me that the thais were protesting a few months back because the police were arresting too many drunk drivers and they thought it were hurting toursime. lol

yet you dont see these same people protesting outside the airport about high prices keeping potiencal customers out

it amazes me that the thais were protesting a few months back because the police were arresting too many drunk drivers and they thought it were hurting toursime. lol

I presume that it just a joke

i thought it was aswel but a thai lady was reading a cirular e-mail and told me what it was about. About organising a protest because thepolice have arrested too many drubk drivers which is hurting their business. the protest was due to take place at Puu Chaweng. What suppiirised me that there were some thais obviously the organsiers giving out leaflets but no protesters lol

i thought it was aswel but a thai lady was reading a cirular e-mail and told me what it was about. About organising a protest because thepolice have arrested too many drubk drivers which is hurting their business. the protest was due to take place at Puu Chaweng. What suppiirised me that there were some thais obviously the organsiers giving out leaflets but no protesters lol

You gotta love Thailand.

Now I have heard everything. If this is true, make up your own conclusions.Shaking my head.crazy.gif

Now I have heard everything. If this is true, make up your own conclusions.Shaking my head.crazy.gif

That's the thing, after spending a considerable number of years in Thailand I couldn't say no way that it is true. It's right on the cusp of belief but amazingly, it really could be true.