Airlines, Public Asked To Respect Rules During Loy Krathong

Lite Beer

CHIANG MAI

Airlines, public asked to respect rules during Loy Krathong

30192405-01_big.jpg?1350371043324

Chiang Mai International Airport will advise local airlines to tighten safety measures concerning floating lanterns during the Loy Krathong Festival in November, Airport director Rawiwan Netrakawessana said Tuesday.

The Loy Krathong Festival in this northern province, which this year takes place between November 27 and 29, is well known domestically and internationally and the release of floating lanterns into the night sky is one of the traditional forms of celebration.

Rawiwan said the recommendation is for airlines to adjust their timetables for fear that if the lanterns were to be sucked into the planes' engines, they could cause damage.

The airport has also asked cooperation from people to release the lanterns after 9.30pm, she said, adding the lanterns should not contain inflammable materials.

The local airlines; Thai International Airways, Bangkok Airways and Nok Air, have complied with the airport authority's concerns by adjusting their timetable for their flights to finish before 6.30pm during the festival.

However, some international airlines have flights that land in Chiang Mai after 9.30pm, and these timetables could not be adjusted.

The airport has therefore prepared the safety measures to ensure safety for them.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-16

footer_n.gif

she said, adding the lanterns should not contain inflammable materials. ---> ok, then i suppose the flame beneath to provide the hot air is from the good wishes of those who release it... and not really a flame...

Her statement makes the term Oxymoron come to mind

• Like 1

she said, adding the lanterns should not contain inflammable materials. ---> ok, then i suppose the flame beneath to provide the hot air is from the good wishes of those who release it... and not really a flame...

Her statement makes the term Oxymoron come to mind

Must be referring to OTOP candles - the ones I bought the other day were made from totally inflammable materials. :(

I remember a few years ago when a Taiwan lantern festival closed the Taipei airport: It was during a dry spell, and a lantern crashed into a parched grass patch adjoining the runway and set the field on fire. Flights were diverted and canceled as they couldn't land or take off in a grass fire.

Not sure if expecting airlines to adjust their timetables to avoid ingesting lanterns into their engines would work. Is there a simultaneous release of lanterns only a specific time, when could then be avoided? Or is it an hours long event where some lanterns are released at different times, meaning airlines would have to basically shut down operations?

I remember a few years ago when a Taiwan lantern festival closed the Taipei airport: It was during a dry spell, and a lantern crashed into a parched grass patch adjoining the runway and set the field on fire. Flights were diverted and canceled as they couldn't land or take off in a grass fire.

Not sure if expecting airlines to adjust their timetables to avoid ingesting lanterns into their engines would work. Is there a simultaneous release of lanterns only a specific time, when could then be avoided? Or is it an hours long event where some lanterns are released at different times, meaning airlines would have to basically shut down operations?

Last year I was gobsmacked when a Thai Airways plane flew directly over Chiang Mai city, presumably to give pax a better view of thousands of lanterns heading skyward ... From a safety point of view, having no flights anywhere near the lanterns would be a great idea.

Edited by dundas

dundas

re

Last year I was gobsmacked when a Thai Airways plane flew directly over Chiang Mai city, presumably to give pax a better view of thousands of lanterns heading skyward

and you saw it was a thai airways plane ... in the dark ?

hmmmm ... dave2

post-42592-0-09627600-1350385273_thumb.j

Wonderful. 300,000 plastic bags released into the atmosphere. Well, as long as it brings 'good luck'.

Most are not plastic. They are paper type material.

but still a lot of rubbish for a quick moment. recyclable? no. sense ? no.

good luck?? like the birds in their cages?? NO THANKS!!!

every aviation law has restricted areas for the safety of the airport/traffic. outside of the strict safety zones till 100 meter.

not workable in thailand????

Wonderful. 300,000 plastic bags released into the atmosphere. Well, as long as it brings 'good luck'.

If they are anything like the ones which they sell around Samui, Krabi etc which drop into the national marine parks all year round they are very much made of plastic. Perhaps they make special paper ones just for Chiang Mai...

dundas

re

Last year I was gobsmacked when a Thai Airways plane flew directly over Chiang Mai city, presumably to give pax a better view of thousands of lanterns heading skyward

hmmmm ... dave2

Maybe he was a passenger on board

If they are anything like the ones which they sell around Samui, Krabi etc which drop into the national marine parks all year round they are very much made of plastic. Perhaps they make special paper ones just for Chiang Mai...

they use paper ones where I live near Pattaya. Went to the beach the next day and there were thousands of pieces of metal from the lanterns. A real mess.

• Like 1

re.

nahhh .. he said

Last year I was gobsmacked when a Thai Airways plane flew directly over Chiang Mai city

not .. Last year I was gobsmacked when a Thai Airways plane .... i was in ...

flew directly over Chiang Mai city

try again .... dave2

ps ... this is a thai aiways plane taking off from chiang mai airport .. in daylight ...

do you think you could see thai airways insignia in the dark ?

post-42592-0-05716500-1350406909_thumb.j

dundas

re

hmmmm ... dave2

I live right by the Airport and 99% of the planes at night are lit up to show who they are. I could tell you everyone.that takes off and lands.

• Like 1

I live right by the Airport and 99% of the planes at night are lit up to show who they are. I could tell you everyone.that takes off and lands.

Ok, what's the pilot's name? Just kidding. biggrin.png

The balloon ceremonies are so engrained in the Thai culture that it will be very difficult to change it to a fixed schedule. That, and many will not care or be aware of the issue.

they use paper ones where I live near Pattaya. Went to the beach the next day and there were thousands of pieces of metal from the lanterns. A real mess.

I agree. However it is strange that the beach had the metal pieces as the wind usually carries them a few kilometers from the launch site.

re.

im sure you can from your room condo or ?

but i think you and our friend dundas would be at the 3 kings monument , thaphae gate or

the river watching the little lovelies and the parade so can you see the planes insignia

in the dark from there ?

enjoy pics ... dave2

ps ... as dundas seems to have left this thread ( i wonder why ) ill do the same : )

post-42592-0-60605900-1350448263_thumb.j

post-42592-0-14032100-1350448336_thumb.j

post-42592-0-58620900-1350448389_thumb.j

post-42592-0-13956700-1350448555_thumb.j

post-42592-0-39470500-1350448641_thumb.j

The airport has therefore prepared the safety measures to ensure safety for them.

... and what exactly would that be?

They'll change the wind direction whistling.gif .... don't laugh. Wing 41 may line up all fighters on the apron with engine thrust facing east. Similar technology to that used to push floodwater out of BKK with tugboats....cheesy.gif

More likely fire trucks will be on full alert for emergency landings thumbsup.gif ... what else can they do?

• Like 1