Driver Dies In Third Limo Smash In 12 Days!

thaigerd

Friday, February 3, 2006

Driver dies in third limo smash in 12 days

THALANG: The driver of an airport minibus was killed instantly when his vehicle smashed into a water truck on the airport road yesterday morning. This was the third fatal accident involving airport transport vehicles in just 12 days.

Pol Lt Col Jamroon Plaiduang, an Inspector at Thalang Police Station, told the Gazette that the white minibus, bearing the logo of the Phuket Vehicle Service Co-operative and Confederation, was speeding to the airport when its driver, 35-year-old Phuket native Mana Singkorn, tried to overtake a pickup truck near Wat Tha Reua.

He apparently failed to see a water truck that was moving slowly along the fast lane, watering plants growing in the median strip, and smashed into it. K. Mana, 35, was killed instantly.

On January 22 an airport limousine driver died in a high-speed smash on the edge of Phuket City and on January 26 a pedestrian was killed by another limousine on the airport road.

I have to use this road every morning/afternoon going to work and go home again.

It's a nightmare when you watch these drivers from the airport limousine service.

Speeding like hel_l and following other cars with out any saftety distance. I am going with an average speed of 80-100km/h what is fast enough but they are coming from behind and pushing

you from the street.

I am driving many years in Thailand but Phuket is hel_l not only the airport drivers. So many schoolkids along this road................

Gerd

I hate to say it but they got it coming. These Jackie Stewart/Mario Andretti wanabees are accidents waiting to happen.

I especially love it when they almost kill themselves in passing you only to turn off 300 meters down the road. I try spot them coming and get out of their way!

waiingjapoh1bl.gif ... What do you think about Portugal ? The people overthere also think they are "Nikki Lauda" ... Every 100 meteres there is a cross, because people got killed there, trying to overtake a car ... :oBENG ! End of the line.

I feel sorry for the one's they hit, not for them stupid fools overtaking cars without looking well :D.

sweetmad308qt.gif

I used to live around the airport and those guy's are the worst of the worst. Very aggressive and over the top speeding, it is no suprise to hear of accidents, just a shame that they have holiday makers in their cars at the time.

Something really should be done.....it's a terible first impression getting off a plane then hanging on for grim death for 40 minutes getting to your hotel.

well its not only their dangerous driving that creates a bad impression for tourists, its also the fact that they try to scam tourists.

one of the worst ways is to stop off at a "travel agent" on the way and attempt to convince those who haven't booked in advance to book a room then and there, stating that they won't be able to find a room otherwise. "fully booked" etc etc.

they also make commission for taking tourists to a hotel even though the tourist wanted to go there in the first place. the commission is of course added to the room rate.

amazing Thailand.

scumbags.

Eech, we are flying into Phuket in a couple of days and you have scared the xxxx out of me. What is the safest method to get to my motel?

When you get out of the airport, ignore all the taxi limousine (not really a limo) the Mini Van Transport that hijacks you and takes you to a booking office before your hotel. Walk through the parking lot. Veer left and you will see in the distance but still with in the confines of the parking lot, TAXI METER. 2 times so far i have had a safe ride. Be warned you will get harrased a lot by drivers, both the organized limo drivers and "pirate" drivers. YOu can always say you have your own car just to get rid of them.

The METER taxi is a bit cheaper also. theydo add a 100 baht surcharge. From the airprot to Kata is about 400+ the surcharge. Or have your hotel arrange a pick up, for a fee of course.

well its not only their dangerous driving that creates a bad impression for tourists, its also the fact that they try to scam tourists.

one of the worst ways is to stop off at a "travel agent" on the way and attempt to convince those who haven't booked in advance to book a room then and there, stating that they won't be able to find a room otherwise. "fully booked" etc etc.

they also make commission for taking tourists to a hotel even though the tourist wanted to go there in the first place. the commission is of course added to the room rate.

amazing Thailand.

scumbags.

That's the very reason I always book my airport pick up through Phuket Palace where I'm staying, then there will be a driver waiting at arrival with small sign with your name and hotel, that way you avoid the travel agents, gold shops and whatever else the airport limo drivers would want to show you, and you don't get the usual story oh very bad hotel me know better hotel, me show you. :o

I am from UK, Holiday to Thailand regurlarly, love it, but yjhere is one thing that worries me, and its being on the road, at any time morning or night i feel completely vulnerable, and to put it bluntly there have been several times that I have been scared shitless