How To Handle Your Money While Traveling

Yes, I have heard some stories about ATM malfunctions. Happened to me once and for a machine, over a period of 40 odd years, that's not a bad rate. Easily sorted out too, but that was in US. But, not enough to put me off using them.

Correct on AEON. I would further recommend (if you are from US?) opening an account for overseas travel with a bank offering no % foreign transaction fee ATM/Debit cards - some examples are State Farm, Capitol 1 and Charles Schwab bank. This, plus AEON, is a great combination and what I've organized for myself.

Far as credit cards, also not put off by them and as far as having your account "wiped out", if you've been swindled and it's clear you have been, there are consumer protections for that - pretty standard these days. I would further recommend finding a card for your overseas travel which offers no % foreign transaction fee. I have Capitol 1 MasterCard and it's worked as advertised and has a cash back feature which is even better.

Safe travels and good luck to you.

J

I have a Mastercard, and I have always had to pay a Foreign Transaction Fee while in Thailand, if what you say is true, then I should be getting a big refund.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I have heard some stories about ATM malfunctions. Happened to me once and for a machine, over a period of 40 odd years, that's not a bad rate. Easily sorted out too, but that was in US. But, not enough to put me off using them.

Correct on AEON. I would further recommend (if you are from US?) opening an account for overseas travel with a bank offering no % foreign transaction fee ATM/Debit cards - some examples are State Farm, Capitol 1 and Charles Schwab bank. This, plus AEON, is a great combination and what I've organized for myself.

Far as credit cards, also not put off by them and as far as having your account "wiped out", if you've been swindled and it's clear you have been, there are consumer protections for that - pretty standard these days. I would further recommend finding a card for your overseas travel which offers no % foreign transaction fee. I have Capitol 1 MasterCard and it's worked as advertised and has a cash back feature which is even better.

J

I have a Mastercard, and I have always had to pay a Foreign Transaction Fee while in Thailand, if what you say is true, then I should be getting a big refund.

It is and you won't be getting a refund if you chose the wrong one in the first place.

It is and you won't be getting a refund if you chose the wrong one in the first place.

I report every amount that was charged wrongly to my credit card (doesn't happen often though) and have always received a refund so far (knock on wood).

And yes, you have to check first whether your bank charges a foreign transaction fee, you won't get a refund if they do because it will be in their terms of contract. It really depends on the bank in your home country.

Easy to say..save bank note in own country and exchange cash when you get to destination.most scam involve farang being drunk and stupid and not bank or financial scam.

maybe best to say, If you are woman, chance of being in scam,robbed or loose money in Thailand greatly reduced whistling.gif

Not sure what you mean with the first paragraph. If you mean to carry cash around, I would recommend against it. Especially when you are drunk and/or stupid.

Please explain why you think women are less prone to fall victim to a scam or robbery, I'm not following.

I report every amount that was charged wrongly to my credit card (doesn't happen often though) and have always received a refund so far (knock on wood).

And yes, you have to check first whether your bank charges a foreign transaction fee, you won't get a refund if they do because it will be in their terms of contract. It really depends on the bank in your home country.

Thanks Tombkk.

J

Thanks to you to 55JAY.

J

Thanks to you to 55JAY.

Sure, no problem, maybe I read your comment incorrectly? I thought you were intimating I was full of bs.

Yes, it's true. Capitol 1 (for example) has a no foreign fee mastercard product. I got turned on to it by TV members in the business/finance thread, applied, got one (after a bit of mucking around) and it has been great; I kick myself for not doing it much earlier. It also has a cash back feature. I only get cash from ATM when I need it for something specific, I very rarely have money in my wallet. I use plastic.