Live Inside Moat Or Out Of Town/ San Sai Area?

Hello Thaivisa members,

I'm currently out of the country so I can't go for a drive and look, so I am just asking for some general advice.

After several years renting in a popular moo baan near Hang Dong I'm considering moving into either a house in the old town or out to San Sai/ Doi Saket.

My current group of friends are limited mostly to this moo baan or one's close by, so if I can get a few opinions it may help in our decision.

Ideally we're looking for 3 bedroom house, preferable to buy (up to 6million THB). I know there are a million for sale already, we just need to decide exactly where.

Anyway, the idea of living inside the moat is of interest to me, walk to coffee, markets etc (don't booze up much these days). This would be our first choice, any advice here?

And at the same time I am thinking maybe a quiet bit of property out of town may be good so again, any advice would be appreciated. I really haven't spent much time looking out of town before now so hence the request for advice.

I realise our money will buy more the further we go out, but any tips like-

Good/ bad areas, mainly for noise (planes do my head in)

Flooding out of town? I have a flood map already but it doesn't go too far out.

Too much traffic?

Local culture/ markets and general access to shops.

Much appreciated for your time. I'll mull over the replies (if any!) then when I return late next month, I'll head out for some long drives!

Thanks in advance

Don't know about today's prices, but two years ago, I purchased a 1 Rai lot from Jasmine homes in San Sai for 1.2m and then constructed a 4 Brdm + house w/swimming pool for 5m. So the costs were in your budget range.

For me the location was perfect with views of Doi Suthep and Doi Saket in the distance, I am surrounded by rice paddies and only a few other Western homes within walking distance. I can get to the Thai market by car in less than 5 minutes, 7-11 or Tesco Lotus Express the same. Rim Ping is 15 minutes away and downtown around 30 minutes on a Friday night. There is also a beautiful little restaurant/coffee shop on a small stream less than 5 minutes from my front door.

I was lucky, none of the locals in my area seem to like Karioke and I must be so far off the beaten path no problems with the trucks w/million amp speaker systems driving by.......

Really up to you on what you are looking for, all I know about the city is the traffic and the crowds something I don't experience in San Sai.

When we come to CM we also thought to live near town, now we live near Ton Pao and we are very happy. Town in full with peoples and cars, lot of traffic, the air is also not the best, out of town you have your silence and the next shops are not far away.

If you like, look thru our website, we have some nice houses around Doi Saket and if you don’t find what you are looking for contact us, we have much more.

http://www.buyrentchiangmai.com

Can you try to rent for a month in each area. That might give you a better idea of what you want. For myself location is my primary concern. I will not try to give you advice as I really don't know you other than by your post and it sounds like you are wide open to a lot of choices.

I presume you enjoy yard work and possibly gardening so Condo's would be out of the question.

I like Diablo Bob's view but for myself it is a bit to isolated. Possibly if you are into puttering you could get property big enough to put up a putter around shop on out San Sai way. Just don't rush into either one with out trying each. It will probably be a long term deal for you so take your time.

Depends if you want to be tied to using a car or motorbike to go everywhere or if you'd prefer to walk to shopping, coffee, restaurants. Personally, I like living just outside the old city, in the neighborhood of KSK mall. It's nice to pop into the mall if I find I need something and I can decide to go to a movie 15 minutes before it starts. It would take that long just to park a car and get into the theater from the car park.

I think you would be lucky to find something acceptable in the Old City for 6 million. Out of town you are spoilt for choice.

I know of a house inside the old town that's around 3.5 million. Three bedrooms too if I recall correctly. It's not big, but it's an actual house, with a covered car port.

So you can find places, you just need to look really hard. An option is also to buy a relatively small plot, but then build something nice that goes up 3 floors. You can likely stay within 6 million that way too.

Thanks very much for your input everyone, it really is much appreciated.

I can't wait to return and check out around the city, I can't believe we've never explored around the ring roads before.

But then again, I enjoy the city immensely and therefore herein lies my problem! violin.gif

Happy days.