Indian Man With "very Lucky Man" Sales Pitch In Sukhumvit Area

ivan96822

Okay, in 2011, I was in Bangkok. One day as I was walking up Sukhumvit and just between Soi 8 and the Nana BTS station, an Indian man, aged 25 to possibly 35, with striking orange eyes, possibly wearing eye make-up, clean clothes, and a strong but clearly spoken Indian accent came up to me, held my hand, and began saying, "You very lucky man..." I wanted to get the hell out of there, so after about five seconds, removed my hand and walked toward Soi 6.

He continued after me, continuing awkward praise that I was, indeed, "A very lucky man."

The next year, I was in the same area and I saw him again, this time in front of the green money exchange place on Sukhumvit close to Soi 4. AGAIN, he approached me and had the same general appearance as the last time: complete with striking orange eyes, possibly wearing eye make-up, and clean clothes. He came up to me again with the same approach and this time I avoided physical contact with him.

The next evening, during a very heavy downpour, I saw him again as I was on the other side of Sukhumvit walking towards Soi 3. This time, he had facial piercings, a turban, traditional Indian make-up in the middle of his forehead, was accompanied by another Indian man. AGAIN, he tried to stop me to proclaim how lucky I was, but being that it was raining I dodged him with less effort than the previous two times.

As I stayed in this area for more than a month, I eventually saw him approaching other falangs, sometimes on Soi 3, sometimes on Soi 4, and usually locating him in the general Sukhumvit/Soi 4 - Soi 11 areas. He, too, would be telling them that they are "lucky man" and the falangs speaking to him either looked creeped out or were not at all bothered with conversating with him. Sometimes he would wear a Hawaiian shirt and slacks, othertimes, he would be dressed like many of the chaps in front of the taylor stores, and other times, traditional Indian wear complete with facial piercings and make-up.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS DUDE'S DEAL IS? His most distinguishing feature would be the striking orange/golden eyes (which I believe to be naturally colored), possible eye shadow, and possible mascara. Have any of you gents come across this man, and if so, could you lend some insight as to what this guy's "sales pitch" is? I would usually see him alone or with another Indian man in traditional clothing.

Thanks! I look forward to those of you in the know...

• Like 1

There is more than 1 guy. They cover all the tourist areas and have also been seen in the local parks approaching foreigners. They get your attention then tell you they can tell your future, mother's name, etc. As soon as you start to fall for it, they raise the stakes and ask you to bet some money. It is scam they have been doing for years. They are very annoying.

The best way to get rid of them is to act interested, then pull out your camera or camera phone and take their picture. Watch how fast they leave. I have done it numerous times and told them they will soon have internet fame. Watching their smile turn to a snarl is never-ending entertainment.

I've seen the one you mean OP, but never been accosted by him, or any for that matter.

Perhaps I look either pissed, grumpy or unlucky or all three.

When I see them three things tend to cross my mind:

1. This can hardly be a profitable or secure way to live. Maybe it is?

2. Work permits/visas must be needed.

3. What Visa are they on for such longish, or permanent, stays?

I always bend over backwards to adhere to every little rule and regulation in LOS. These scammers don't seem to bother and flaunt all the rules yet survive.

P.S. 4. What a miserable way to exist. Them, not me.

Edited by Beechboy
  • Like 1

I've seen the one you mean OP, but never been accosted by him, or any for that matter.

I always bend over backwards to adhere to every little rule and regulation in LOS. These scammers don't seem to bother and flaunt all the rules yet survive.

You bring up a very valid point. How does this guy get by in LOS with, as you you put, such a longish, or permanent, stay? Illegally, I suppose?

I have also met Indian gentlemen telling me i am lucky i am , once in Hong Kong near the ferry wharf and a again few weeKs ago in Khao San Road. (There are a few of them there) .The one in Hong Kong i was polite to and I listened to what he had to say and then he asked for a obscene amount of money so i walked off and he followed me up the road screaming terrible things at me and telling me i will only have bad luck from hence on .

Maybe he is the reason i never do any good in the lotteries anymore.

Used to be loads when I lived in Hong Kong, see them less in BKK but just don't engage with them, they can be quite nasty and try to bully you if you speak with them and don't 'tip' so just avoid them.

It's a total scam. They will talk with you, do the usual 'cold reading' tricks relying on you applying things to stuff he says and then they will ask to you write your Mum's name down on a small piece of paper or something similar. You give it back to them and they have also written that name on their hand! OMG OMG!! haha

It's utter rubbish, this used to go down all the time in Honkers, they have a very small, charcoal type pencil on their thumb and once they see what you wrote they copy it down and then show you as though it was there all the time

Avoid

You bring up a very valid point. How does this guy get by in LOS with, as you you put, such a longish, or permanent, stay? Illegally, I suppose?

These scammers are Thai, thats how they get by.

he's just more knowledgeable than you in arranging his "permanent stay" tongue.png

There are quite a few people of Indian origin who are actually Thai citizens.

Plenty of these people in Silom as well. I just blank them. If that doesn't work I just tell them to go away and stop bothering me. They don't usually say much after that. I think I'll use the camera trick that someone else suggested next time.

I was accosted by him/one a few years ago in Soi 4, at that moment not feeling my best my response was ''Lucky? I've got cancer you cun_t''.

He disappeared quickly, and due to the marvels of modern medicine so did the cancer.