Best Way To Get To Vientianne From Nong Khai By Road.

Deserted

Absent just going to the bus station there at Nong Khai and asking, below some info via Mr Google.

Mac

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293950-i11502-k4367585-Direct_bus_from_Nong_Khai_bus_station_to_Vientiane-Vientiane.html

5. Re: Direct bus from Nong Khai bus station to Vientiane

May 22, 2011, 10:02 PM

Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear in my earlier posting. I have found lots of info about the border crossing to Vientiane. Its the direct bus from the bus station I couldn't find much about. I have since found a timetable for it and iIf what I found is up to date it wouldn't work for us anyway as the bus leaves at 7.30 (too early) and 10.30 (too late!).

We live quite near to the Lao embassy in Bangkok so we can go ourselves and get the visa, wasn't going to pay an agent. I thought having the visa already would be a pre-requisite for catching the direct bus as I read it wont wait while you get a visa on arrival. Even though it looks like we wont catch that bus now, would having the visa in advance save us any time at all at the border? We are expecting the train to be late and concerned about getting to the Thai Embassy in Vientiane before it shuts, so quite happy to spend the extra hour here in Bangkok if it will save any time at the border.

Appreciate your advice

inapContent.gifReport inappropriate content

Save this Post

bluecramp.jpg

bluecramp

Vientiane...

reviews: 145

6. Re: Direct bus from Nong Khai bus station to Vientiane

May 22, 2011, 11:08 PM

icon_de_27x27.gifDestination Expert info.gif

for Vientiane

The "direct bus" from Nong Khai to Vientiane stops at the thai side for immigration formalities, crosses the bridge, then stops at the Lao immigration also - and waits for you both times. At the Lao side you can get a visa quickly, you just fill out the form, pay about $30 and provide 1 photo. If you don't have a photo they will take one for $1.

These buses run at least every hour. These are from the bus station about 400m from the Thai border post - not the main Nong Khai bus station which is 3-4km away in town. Maybe the timetable you have is from the main bus station?

Either way, nothing to worry about. There are several transport options running between NK and Vnte every 10 minutes or so.

inapContent.gif

Save this Post

rufuscat.jpg

Rufuscat

Vientiane

reviews: 33

7. Re: Direct bus from Nong Khai bus station to Vientiane

May 22, 2011, 11:18 PM

If you take the direct bus from Nong Khai bus station, you would certainly be well advised to already have your visa. The bus will not wait if there are a lot of people getting visas, as it is used mainly by local people.

If you do not intend catching this bus, then there is no need to get a visa beforehand; just get it at the border. Pay in USD as the exchange rate for Baht is generally quite poor.

inapContent.gif

Save this Post

man-in-seat-61.jpg

Man_in_Seat_6...

Bucks

reviews: 1

8. Re: Direct bus from Nong Khai bus station to Vientiane

May 23, 2011, 5:02 AM

Just a question....

If you're arriving at Nong Khai at 08:25 on the overnight train from , with the 09:00 connecting train to Vientiane (Thanaleng station, 15 minutes' train ride away across the Friendship Bridge) waiting for it, ticking over on the other platform, tickets 30 baht, why are you ignoring the connecting train and trying to get a bus?

You can get a visa on arrival at Thanaleng station.

inapContent.gif

Save this Post

rufuscat.jpg

Rufuscat

Vientiane

reviews: 33

9. Re: Direct bus from Nong Khai bus station to Vientiane

May 23, 2011, 6:32 AM

Thanaleng is out in the sticks. You are much better off getting off at Nong Khai.

inapContent.gif

Save this Post

<a href="http://www.tripadvisor.com/members-forums/KiwiAbroadGally1" style="color: rgb(32, 45, 149); text-decoration: none; outline: none; ">avatar017.jpg

KiwiAbroadGal...

Kiwi Abroad

reviews: 15

10. Re: Direct bus from Nong Khai bus station to Vientiane

May 23, 2011, 7:15 AM

The train is supposed to arrive at 8.25 and should it do so then all will be fine, no matter how we get over the bridge. Trouble is we have never caught a Thai train that arrived at it's destination on time so we just don't have a lot of faith that this one will either. That's why we are trying to work out the quickest route and if there is anything we can do ourselves to save time. We have heard that the Thai Embassy in Vientiane often stops taking applications for the day at 11.00 (even heard 10.30 from one source), even though the official hours say until 12.00. We have only the two day window because of work commitments, and have booked the train back the night of the next day. In hindsight perhaps we should have flown or paid to join a mini van visa run. We just thought we would have more fun doing it this way and we didn't know when we bought the train tickets about the Embassy closing the window before 12.00.

I guess though there is not much we can do about a late train - if it's gonna be late, it's gonna be late and stressing about it won't help.

Thanks for all the advice though.

I gather you are living in Krungthep?

Take a direct bus from Krungthep Mo Chit (I think) to Vientiane.

If you have the Visa, no problem.

Also direct buses from Korat, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, with the visum, a doddle.

If you are already in Nong Kai, take a "skylab" to go to the border crossing.

At the Thai side check out of Thailand.

Take the shuttle bus to the Lao side, show the visa you obtained in Bangkok.

Get your stamps, pay the crossing fee (50 baht) and then take a shuttle, tuktuk, taxi, whatever, to Vientiane.

The total time you will need from Nong Kai to Vientiane will be around 2 hours, +/- 30 minutes.

Oh, so sorry, take it for granted the train will be at least one hour late.

Probably more.

They are working on the line, so count on it.

My advise, find out about the direct bus, they are, from KK, Korat and Udon, nearly always in time.

And indeed, there are times the Embassy shuts down rather early, or stops giving out numbers, which means you have to come back next day.

Stand in line before 7, or be the first.........

Edited by hansnl

I will be in Nong Khai. I am aware of the fact that ther e a number of options but wasn't sure which bus station to go to. I also don't know the name of the bus station just out of town, which complicates matters. If someone could offer it I would be grateful. So just to reiterate, it is the station out of town that's my best option right?

1.again wrong ideas with the unknowing farang

There is NO gain at all in going INto NK coming from train-as you have to get back same way to bridge

2.the Bus TB mac talks about is the SHUTTLE that ANYone has to take as pedestrians are not permitted on that bridge. it only shuttles as far as lao immi

3.advance visa cost more-and the only gain is the time to write out the form at the Lao side-all other formalities are the same

4.THINK-and use your BKK experience-works also in laos-get a tukx2 or taxi direct to embassy from lao side of bridge. Dont bother with buses-eats too much time. Plus you have to get taxi later on anyway

5.and yes-forget that train-another victim of seat61 and the belief that anythinbg a farang wants to know must be on the www. Take either a direct Lao bus FROM BKK/Mochit or any NK bus-many set down at bridge- and be just follow above advice in how to cross-which BTW is also in any newer guidebook

Getting a visa before getting to the border will save over one hour crossing. Take overnight VIP bus to NK from MoChit station, getting there at around 7:00am. Take songtauw from there to the Thai immigration at the friendship bridge, and check out of Thailand (make sure you have a reentry permit beforehand if you need one so you don't loose your visa). After checking out at Thai immigration at the end of the building on the left is a little booth to buy a shuttle ticket to Lao immigration across the bridge (it was bt40 last time I was there), get on the next shuttle(it runs every 10 minutes with multiple busses) and cross. At Lao immigration go directly to the window, and get your customs declaration forms, there are 2, fill them out, and go to the immigration/customs line to get stamped into the country. Avoid the visa on arrival line completely. After completing and exiting customs get a songtauw, or taxi (songtauw prices are posted) directly to the Thai embassy, everyone knows where it is. You should be there by 9:00am when they open, although far back in the line that has already formed.

Forget the direct bus into Vientiane. It is a waste of precious time, and will just slow you down getting to the Thai embassy.

Edited by koolbreez

• 3 months later...

Maybe a little late to the thread....

Not sure what best means.

If you want cheap, tuk tuk to frontier (50b), bus across bridge (15b), then minbus into Vientiane proper (US$1.50).

I've done this lots of times -- staying in Vientiene I'd combine visa runs with shopping trips.

You want easy? Tuk tuk to frontier, a Lao will offer his taxi service through the crossings and into Vientiane for a few hundred baht.

If I were traveling with another person I'd go with the latter. You can shave off a little by taking the bus across the bridge and getting the taxi Lao side, save another 100b or so.

The NK-VT buses don't run that often, would be silly to have to arrange your plans around it. At both frontiers you'd have to get off the bus, do your biz, wait for everyone else to clear, get back on the bus.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for the info on this topic - very helpful.

I have decided to give the train to Nong Khai a go and have allowed myself an extra day, should I miss the Thai Embassy if the train is too late.

What I would like to know is transport availability from Thanaleng station direct too the Thai Embassy, and the cost thereof. Has anyone done this fairly recently?

Many thanks!

I just did the BKK to Nong Khai train trip last week. Over two hours late arriving at Nong Khai (3 hours late on the return trip to BKK). Judging by by piles of wooden sleepers and discarded sections of rail it seems that major upgrading of the track is being carried out. So cannot expect a return to on-time (or near on-time arrivals) for a while.

I took a tuk-tuk to the bridge (30 baht) bus across the bridge (15 baht) and shared a taxi to Vientiane (150 baht each pax).

Managed to get VOA (with entry stamp) quite quickly, probably took less time than the people queing at the immigration booths with visas already. Arrived in town before noon, but cannot remeber exactly what time.