Aluminium Or Wood Doors On New House Near Khon Kaen

Gladiator

Hi,

My apologies if this seems a simple question but I have now knowledge of building and construction.

My friend in the UK has arranged for the family of his Thai wife to build a house some 16 kilometres out of Khon Kaen. The house is now well underway and the time has come to place the doors and windows. I have received this message from him.

"What do you think is the best - aluminium entrance doors or wood? Remember that the doors are set back from the outside of the house and covered by the porch. My wife " My wife lek worry about wind driven rain and doors swelling up?"

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Many thanks,

Gladiator

Edited by lopburi3
fix font - copy/paste as plain text

Sorry about the small point size. Not sure how that happened.

"What do you think is the best - aluminium entrance doors or wood? Remember that the doors are set back from the outside of the house and covered by the porch. My wife " My wife lek worry about wind driven rain and doors swelling up?"

Many thanks,

Gladiator

Sorry about the small point size. Not sure how that happened.

Many thanks,

Gladiator

Alu usually breaks down easily, its just not worth to invest in Aluminum doors, especially not as main entrance doors. Wood is common and can be varnished.

But I would use plastic doors. The quality (if you find them in Thailand) should be much better and durable.

For a cheaper Thai style house wooden doors would be the choice...

There are different grades of aluminium available , the cheapest indeed is not very strong . If you take a thicker size of alu , then they are good and i think are the cheaper then quality wood or plastic . For wood , i suggest at looking at what kind of wood as many kinds are available , from very soft till the hardest Wood , when being a quality one, is always my preference , but that is due to the looks of it It does need maintenence Plastic You do have some different kinds , and some being mighty expensive .

I had all types in my home country. The PVC needed the least maintenance.

However it seems the more expensive ones with the special hinges and locking systems give problems later on when the product is discontinued because of new innovations etc.

I had to replace a whole front that was perfectly in order only because it was impossible to change the locking system of the main door. The whole front was interconnected, This was about 15 years old.

To prevent that again i choose hardwood with the simple construction. When things have to be replaced you can then do that much more easy.

Expensive lesson.....

Edited by Khun Jean

I would check on the cost between UPVC and wood.

If your using air-con then that will also play a part in the insulation

when deciding.

UPVC is the best for insulation and maintenance free.

Wood is only good if using high quality, but requires regular maintenance.

I wouldn't consider aluminium at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Teak if you have extra cash, or Mai Daeng Wood at 3500/leaf gives a great door... wood doors give you a proper entrance. Plastic doors give a very cheap, low quality feel, and we're talking about your main entrance to your house. Forget it! And, don't use metal entrance doors unless your house is bleeding-edge Modern/International Style - then use high end glass & aluminum, or a beautiful wood.