What Was Being Remembered Yesterday?

grahamb

I admit that my knowledge of Thai history is very poor and it's easier to ask this question here than do the research myself :o I'm sure there is someone knowledgeable on here who knows the answer to this...

When I went past Victory Monument on the way to work yesterday morning (Friday 3-Feb), I noticed that they had flames burning in the 'eternal flame' bits around the monument and there were lots of people in uniform around. There were also some tents set up. Most of the people in uniform looked like nurses rather than military but I didn't get a close look.

On the way home, I noticed that there were a lot of wreaths on the plaque side of the statue. Most of the labels on the wreaths were in Thai but I saw "Canada", "Malaysia" and "Japan" written in English.

Obviously it was a ceremony of remembrance but what was being remembered?

Also, is it just a coincidence that the big rally is today instead of yesterday? Sondhi usually did his shows on a Friday but did he avoid yesterday because it was a significant date? (or is that just my conspiracy-theory mind at work :D )