Non Ubc Satellite Users

whopper

Jsat is a good place to start http://www.jsat.tv/

Remember that UBC is the only truly legal satellite service in Thailand. Other services (Dream, Astro etc.) are technically illegal as their content is not copyright licenced for viewing in Thailand, not that anyone is going to lock you up for it.

Jsat just installed my system yesterday. A twin sat combo (one moveable, one fixed) and two Angel Box receivers. Should have done a third box, but hadn't bought the TV for the study (arrives tomorrow).

So far so good - enjoyed being able to watch the Six Nations match in bed last night! Service before and during installation was very good - will post how I get on going forward.

<snip>Remember that UBC is the only truly legal satellite service in Thailand. Other services (Dream, Astro etc.) are technically illegal as their content is not copyright licenced for viewing in Thailand, not that anyone is going to lock you up for it.

Technically yes and no.

As far as Licensing is concerned Dream, Aguila etc, you are correct.

There are some services put on the Sat beams that cover Thailand that are truly free for everyone to look at. Examples of this are ABC Asia Pacific and also BBC World.

In fact ABC Asia Pacific will advise you on how to re-broadcast the signal into a Cable Tv or a Condominium.

I just wish UBC would re-broadcast ABC Asia Pacific, particularly as its free to re-broadcast

If you have a decent broadband connection , another option is to use bittorrent & download all your fave tv shows & movies.

Advantages - It's Free. You can get the latest UK , US shows days after they've aired usually in HD format and you can watch them when convenient.

Disadvantages - No good for live sports. You have to be patient with slow downloads at times and theres a bit of setup & management to get it working well.

I cancelled UBC soon after I got my home PC & ADSL. If there's a football game I have to see live then its down to the pub where the atmosphere is better anyway.

have F1 box with 8ft dish, around 40 satelites, over 1000 channels, good quality. Jsat has done a good service with reprogramming my reciever free of charge.

Rono

A 1000 channels is all very well, but are any of them worth watching??

Any good English film, series or comedy channels?

Edited by astral

This is free and world cable/tv searchable open source for ADSL. Dont have an idea how it would match cygwin performance, maybe convert to linux or twin with wine for linux if you miss winxp.

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-1.html#ss1.1

Also check out system requirements for it. its not a big thing to worry about....sorry cant find anything to match win system. maybe someone else could match it.

Edited by torgate

have F1 box with 8ft dish, around 40 satelites, over 1000 channels, good quality. Jsat has done a good service with reprogramming my reciever free of charge.

Rono

A 1000 channels is all very well, but are any of them worth watching??

Any good English film, series or comedy channels?

visit jsat website, you can see tha available satelites and their respective channels, there are the news channels such as fox,bbc,cnn,...

kids channels: disney, cartoon network, around 5 in total

movies:hbo, cinemax, star movies, star world,hallmark,axn,tcm,...

sports: several, even real madrid

discovery, discovery travel, living asia, cnbc...do you need more

even frencs,german, italian,spain and dutch channels, ..choice too much and yes worth wathing

Virtually every one of the channels you listed above is rebroadcast on UBC (okay, not Disney, but.....). So if those are your highlights, what's the purpose of putting in a satellite installation with all the costs and hassle that involves?

Edited by OldAsiaHand

Simply getting rid of UBC's annoying ads are worth it from what I remember.

The JSAT website will tell you lots, too much actually as the website is confusing with too much info crammed on the pages and takes a while to grasp, take notes as you go through it.

We're getting rid of our PTV (Chonburi) cable service in a few weeks as they keep moving and deleting good channels. They only charge 350 baht (62 channels) a month but they do considerably affect your life expectancy :o , not worth it.

Virtually every one of the channels you listed above is rebroadcast on UBC (okay, not Disney, but.....). So if those are your highlights, what's the purpose of putting in a satellite installation with all the costs and hassle that involves?

the advantages are: more channels and if you have C & Ku band, you can watch C band during rain. UBC with dish has only Ku band so during rain... no signal unless you are lucky to have cable.

Other advantage: in about 1 year the investment is paid, I already paid over 100,000 baht during the years for UBC, no more for me.

I am glad I dont have to watch the message"searching for signal" and than waiting for the thousands of ubc staff to jump in their vehicle to find their signal in the rain, can take a long time due to traffic :o