Flour (Sifted)

WilliaminBKK

I am playing around making crumpets and 3rd batch now and they are like hockey pucks.

Lots of reasons why I'm failing (yeast, flour, milk etc I'll master those) one basic question just hit me, perhaps the bakers out there can help me, I searched google and all I get is the difference between sifting.

Question - if a recipe calls for 1 cup of sifted flour

1-Do I measure 1 cup of flour and then sift ? and use that in the recipe ? I end up with about 1 1/3 - 1 1/2 cups

2-Do I measure say 3/4 of a cup of flour to make one cup of sifted flour ?

Thanks for helping this novice baker.

I like to bake, but must admit I've never tried to make crumpets.

As far as the flour, I would say it's one cup of flour, then you sift it.

Have you tried you tube for recipies? I often decide on what I want to make, and then watch someone on you tube making it.

I like to bake, but must admit I've never tried to make crumpets.

As far as the flour, I would say it's one cup of flour, then you sift it.

Have you tried you tube for recipies? I often decide on what I want to make, and then watch someone on you tube making it.

I'll master the crumpets the 3rd batch of 8 - 5 were really good. I'll post the recipe when I perfect it, I'm doing one cup then sifting it, I think there is too much flour, if that makes any sense at all.

I've looked at Youtube and most of the recipes say either two things.

1 cup of sifted flour (in my mind that would 1 cup of flour and the yield will be more-like you said)

or

1 cup of flour sifted (in my mind 3/4 a cup sifted to make up to 1 cup)

I called my mean Aunt who makes a sponge weekly & loves baking, she barked saying you don't bake with cups you have to weigh the ingredients smile.png

The need to sift flour is a bit of a myth.

To make crumpets you just need to get the ratio of flour, yeast and water right. Many people say to leave in a warm place to rise, usually for an hour. I find that in the bottom of the fridge for a lot longer, even over night, gives better results.

The need to sift flour is a bit of a myth.

To make crumpets you just need to get the ratio of flour, yeast and water right. Many people say to leave in a warm place to rise, usually for an hour. I find that in the bottom of the fridge for a lot longer, even over night, gives better results.

I am going to try the overnight method, I think that may be one of the problems.

This is what I am playing with.

1 tsp yeast

1/4 cup tepid water

1 tsp sugar

1/3 cup tepid milk

Mix & allow it to rest 10 minutes.

Then add

2 Tbs melted butter

1 egg

1 cup measured flour then sifted (self rising flour)

1/2 tsp salt

Let rise 45 minutes to one hour

Then on low heat in my cast iron frying pan, 4 - 6 minutes then turn for one minute. I look like a mad man with a toothpick popping the holes in the top but seems to be the only way I can get them to resemble crumpets.

I've tried 1cm batter, 2 cm batter, 4 cm batter now I'm down to 25% rejects, much better than my first hockey puck batch.

Thanks for the overnight suggestion will try it tomorrow.

Yeast flour ratio ??????? Are you baking the Eiffel tower lol. Yeast will rise better at room temperature, it doesn't work well in the cold.

Also shouldn't be using yeast if using self raising flour.

Recipe # 1/

Cook Time: 20 minutes

To foam the batter : 2 hours

Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes

Yield: 24 crumpets

Ingredients:

• 12 fl oz/350ml semi-skimmed milk, warmed but not boiling
  • 1 lb/450g all purpose or plain flour
  • 1/8 oz/5g dried yeast
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 12 fl oz/350ml finger-warm water (approx)
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1tsp baking powder
  • Vegetable oil for cooking

Preparation:

• Whisk together the milk, flour, yeast and sugar. Once combined add half the water and beat into the batter, continue to add more water until the batter is thick and smooth. Stop adding water once it reaches the consistency of thick cream. Cover with cling film and leave in a warm draft free place until foaming - about 1, up to 2 hours.
  • Whisk the salt and baking powder into the batter then heat a heavy based frying pan on the stove to hot but not smoking.
  • Dampen kitchen paper with a little oil and grease the base of the pan and a crumpet (or pastry) rings measuring 3"x 1 ½" (8 X 3.75cm) approx. If you don't have any pastry or crumpet rings then use a small, washed food can to the same measurements.
  • Place one ring in the heated pan, add enough batter to fill just below the top of the ring. Cook for five minutes when there should be many tiny holes on the surface and the crumpet is setting. Flip the crumpet over and cook for another two – three minutes.
  • Repeat with the remaining batter until used up. Rest the crumpets on a wire rack until cool and reheat in a toaster or under the grill before serving. Serve with lots of butter and/or jam.
  • NOTE: If the batter seeps from under the ring it is too thin, whisk in more flour. If the crumpet is heavy and without holes, the batter is too thick, add more water.

Recipe # 2/

4 cups flour

2 tsp sugar

2 tsp dry yeast ( quick acting )

2 cups of milk

1/4 spoon bicarbonate of soda

2 tsp salt

1 tablespoon warm water ( Now that is the tricky one ) you have to play with water for consistency same as recipe # 1.

In a large bowl mix 2 cups ( Half ) , sugar and undissolved dry yeast.

Heat milk to luke warm, gradually add to dry ingredients & blend well

Add remainder of flour , beat 5 minutes.

Cover & stand for 1 hour until mixture is doubled.

Dissolve salt & soda in warm water. Stir into mixture, cover allow to rise again for one hour.

Heat frypan / electric moderate heat & oil base of pan & egg rings.

Allow to cook until top has set, about 5 minutes.

Remove ring, turn crumpet & cook for a few seconds.

Turn again & allow to dry thoroughly on the underside.

Cool on wire rack.

Enjoy.

PS : water & consistency is the key..

• Like 2

Yeast flour ratio ??????? Are you baking the Eiffel tower lol. Yeast will rise better at room temperature, it doesn't work well in the cold.

Also shouldn't be using yeast if using self raising flour.

Recipe # 1/

Cook Time: 20 minutes

To foam the batter : 2 hours

Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes

Yield: 24 crumpets

Ingredients:

• 12 fl oz/350ml semi-skimmed milk, warmed but not boiling
  • 1 lb/450g all purpose or plain flour
  • 1/8 oz/5g dried yeast
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 12 fl oz/350ml finger-warm water (approx)
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1tsp baking powder
  • Vegetable oil for cooking

Preparation:

• Whisk together the milk, flour, yeast and sugar. Once combined add half the water and beat into the batter, continue to add more water until the batter is thick and smooth. Stop adding water once it reaches the consistency of thick cream. Cover with cling film and leave in a warm draft free place until foaming - about 1, up to 2 hours.
  • Whisk the salt and baking powder into the batter then heat a heavy based frying pan on the stove to hot but not smoking.
  • Dampen kitchen paper with a little oil and grease the base of the pan and a crumpet (or pastry) rings measuring 3"x 1 ½" (8 X 3.75cm) approx. If you don't have any pastry or crumpet rings then use a small, washed food can to the same measurements.
  • Place one ring in the heated pan, add enough batter to fill just below the top of the ring. Cook for five minutes when there should be many tiny holes on the surface and the crumpet is setting. Flip the crumpet over and cook for another two – three minutes.
  • Repeat with the remaining batter until used up. Rest the crumpets on a wire rack until cool and reheat in a toaster or under the grill before serving. Serve with lots of butter and/or jam.
  • NOTE: If the batter seeps from under the ring it is too thin, whisk in more flour. If the crumpet is heavy and without holes, the batter is too thick, add more water.

Recipe # 2/

4 cups flour

2 tsp sugar

2 tsp dry yeast ( quick acting )

2 cups of milk

1/4 spoon bicarbonate of soda

2 tsp salt

1 tablespoon warm water ( Now that is the tricky one ) you have to play with water for consistency same as recipe # 1.

In a large bowl mix 2 cups ( Half ) , sugar and undissolved dry yeast.

Heat milk to luke warm, gradually add to dry ingredients & blend well

Add remainder of flour , beat 5 minutes.

Cover & stand for 1 hour until mixture is doubled.

Dissolve salt & soda in warm water. Stir into mixture, cover allow to rise again for one hour.

Heat frypan / electric moderate heat & oil base of pan & egg rings.

Allow to cook until top has set, about 5 minutes.

Remove ring, turn crumpet & cook for a few seconds.

Turn again & allow to dry thoroughly on the underside.

Cool on wire rack.

Enjoy.

PS : water & consistency is the key..

Thank you so much Roo.

I bought Waitrose self rising flour at Central World and I am not leaving it long enough -draft free got it & my batter is so thick I need two spoons to put it in the rings.

Will report back in a few days.

Leave out the butter and the egg, and add a tsp of salt.

If you are having to pop the holes yourself then you are lacking yeast, or maybe your yeast is not activating.

I think you're right omit the egg & butter-bloody Midlands recipe smile.png

Will try everything I love crumpets.

Thank you for helping me sort this out.

Your Aunt is correct. Besides Americans, who else measures ingredients in cups!

Forget "youtube", bakingmad.com and for bread, - thefreshloaf.com are your friends.

I love those sites, thank you thank you.

I am with you now, when I see a recipe in cups ignore it - it really confused me and ruined a few batches of crumpets.

Update

I made Roo's number 1 recipe - I have enough crumpets to last a month, I had Waitrose self rising flour on hand from Centralworld so I cut the baking powder to half to sample, (next time I'll buy plain flour) Once I mastered the heat of the cast iron pan they were fantastic. I didn't trust my veg oil so I used butter which was a mistake.

I still had a toothpick ready just in case, but figured out don't add as much batter and they will pop holes.

Thank you all, now I need to find low cal baked goods smile.png

Lesson 1. Go to the shops and buy some scales!

No self respecting cook uses cups, even American books now give the weight and advises people not to use cups. Crumpets are really easy to make, but you need to weigh out the ingredients otherwise it's not going to work, same goes with any baking.

If you're looking for a good recipe, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall wrote a good article in the Guardian a few years ago about Crumpets, Drop-Scones, Pikelets, Farls and Muffins with recipes, Google it and I'm sure you'll find it.

Edit.

@ WilliaminBKK

You posted at the same time as me. Glad to hear you're using some scales and the crumpets have come out well.

Edited by theseahorse

Lesson 1. Go to the shops and buy some scales!

No self respecting cook uses cups, even American books now give the weight and advises people not to use cups. Crumpets are really easy to make, but you need to weigh out the ingredients otherwise it's not going to work, same goes with any baking.

If you're looking for a good recipe, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall wrote a good article in the Guardian a few years ago about Crumpets, Drop-Scones, Pikelets, Farls and Muffins with recipes, Google it and I'm sure you'll find it.

Edit.

@ WilliaminBKK

You posted at the same time as me. Glad to hear you're using some scales and the crumpets have come out well.

I had the scales just was using the battery in my remote control and was lazy to swap it out biggrin.png so I looked for something easy which was my first mistake. My original concern about sifting goes away when I follow proper recipes.

Thank you for the links, I'll be so fat by the time Xmas rolls around.