Murder At Lai Thai Guest House Kotchasarn Road

NormanChomsky

It seriously irritates me to see the Thais always laughing at the scene of a crime or during a re-enactment. It makes me want to punch them in the face really hard, especially in situations where people have died. They have no respect for anyone or anything other than money.

Well said!!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seriously irritates me to see the Thais always laughing at the scene of a crime or during a re-enactment. It makes me want to punch them in the face really hard, especially in situations where people have died. They have no respect for anyone or anything other than money.

Well said!!!

Come on, it's a cultural difference. Living here you should know that; it doesn't mean what you think it does. It also doesn't distract from the seriousness of the situation, and the excellent job the police have done in this case. Worthy of respect. Also I appreciate the opportunity these reenactments give the family as an outlet of their sadness, anger and frustration. MUCH better than what victim's relatives have to endure in my own country.

That is true. It's also an opportunity for the BIB to pat each other on the back, get their photos in the media, and no doubt get another medal to pin on their chest and possibly a bonus.

Well said!!!

Come on, it's a cultural difference. Living here you should know that; it doesn't mean what you think it does. It also doesn't distract from the seriousness of the situation, and the excellent job the police have done in this case. Worthy of respect. Also I appreciate the opportunity these reenactments give the family as an outlet of their sadness, anger and frustration. MUCH better than what victim's relatives have to endure in my own country.

If the Police in our countries did what is done here no case would ever get to court, as even the perpetrator of the crime has rights. In Britain the whole case would be thrown out on the basis that the perpetrators rights had been abused before he came to court. We have a system that says everyone is 'innocent until proven guilty'...even if someone owns up to the crime it still has to be proven in a court of law. Not sure about the US system of justice in such circumstances but would assume something similar. Also; I know for sure that British families who had lost loved ones in such circumstances would not want what they would describe as 'a circus performance' being enacted in front of them. I always get the feeling with the Thai 'performances' that they are nothing to do with justice for the suffering family and friends, or indeed justice for the accused, but more to do with showing what a fine upstanding Police force Thailand has. To me, they are just doing the job they are paid to do and it does not warrant a TV glamour show broadcast on a daily basis. I see nothing whatsoever to 'respect' about such goings on. Yes; I live in Thailand and I have to accept it, but I despise it nevertheless.

• Like 1

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one appalled with these "re-enactments" and the grisly crime scene photos splashed all over the media. I certainly would take no comfort from either if a loved one of mine was a victim of a horrible crime.

Well said!!!

If the Police in our countries did what is done here no case would ever get to court, as even the perpetrator of the crime has rights. In Britain the whole case would be thrown out on the basis that the perpetrators rights had been abused before he came to court. We have a system that says everyone is 'innocent until proven guilty'...even if someone owns up to the crime it still has to be proven in a court of law.

It doesn't actually. If you plead guilty in the the UK there is no trial, just sentencing by Magistrates or a Judge depending on the severity of your offence.

Secondly, what a buffoon this guy is. He murders a girl and hangs around town. Just incredible. At least he's off the streets.

It`s people like you with your ridiculous comments that really irritate me and hopefully someone may punch you in the face.

You’re talking a load of crap.

The police are only displaying the proudness of their achievements in apprehending this murderer in a thoroughly professional manner, with speed and efficiency and showing their pleasure that this brutal killer is now been taken out of society.

They done a wonderful job in seeking justice for this poor woman and should be thanked with gratitude and appreciation for their work, not criticised.

This was made possible by the help of those that assisted the police with their inquiries, that all contributed towards seeking justice for this woman.

Be grateful that the scum murderer has been caught and is being dealt with, and please give the police a compliment of well done, when it`s well deserved.

Without a doubt the police have solved this case in a fast and effective way and of course deserve credit for that. They have done their job well. But do you think they would be behaving differently if they hadn't done it effectively and quickly as in some cases??

For anyone considering staying at the Lai Thai guest house, this tragic lady was murdered in room number 205 located on the first floor, if you want to avoid it.

Confusing statements. Was he staying at the guest house, or was she staying at the guest house?

Sorry I misread it....... she was visiting his room I suspect. This must have been room 205.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Endure....Not quite as simple as you make it seem. The court has to hear all the evidence the Police have gathered to prove the confessor actually 'did it'. There have been many cases where people have owned up to murders and other crimes they never actually committed. Notwithstanding all this; if the British Police put the suspect on TV the case would never reach a courtroom.

They done a wonderful job in seeking justice for this poor woman and should be thanked with gratitude and appreciation for their work, not criticised.

But could they not be a little more sensitive? Note the giggling lieutenant/captain at 6:38 and the relatives sat quietly behind (including young daughter by the looks). Cultural differences aside, that is just off, no?

Murderer checked in under an assumed name on the 14th Oct, victim was murdered in room 204 (not 205) late on the 17th Oct, and she was found on the 18th Oct..... Excellent Job by the Police, and I hope the family can recover,heal & move forward from this tragedy...

Jackr - the news report footage looks like it focuses on the Police & not much about the Family. I guess there is only so much they can fit into an allocated time spot on TV. But from what I saw on the day of the walk-through, there was a lot of support, compassion, & care shown towards the family, from both relatives, friends, media & the police... I hope this helped the family just a little... Glad this scumbag has been caught & there will be some justice...

For legal reasons I cannot go into too much detail, but here is an outline of the situation.

Mrs Duangdeun Harris and known as Oi to her friends and customers was married to a farang as a front person for a partnership involving more than one foreigner for the owing and running of certain bar establishments in Chiang Mai.

Over the last couple of years, the businesses have gone into decline due to the decrease of tourists and have accumulated a substantial amount of debts. They were seeking people to either buy the businesses, or help bail them out and of ways to pacify those who had become involved, either customers or those who had financial interests in the businesses.

Lots of dodgy characters and deals went down here, similar to who is involved and what lies behind many other adult entertainment establishments in Chiang Mai.

My last words on the subject, is only to say that a police investigation is ongoing.

Nothing there new at all. The place has been for sale for months, she would have told you, as would staff, and if you could not get it from there then there was the constant for sale sign out the front.

Had one tentative buyer and that fell through. There are no other "interests".

There is no farang partnership she owned and owed it all herself. she did own a bar as a front in CEC years ago. German husband shot through a while ago and she has been intermitently involved with a guy from Malaysia.

The funeral arrangements started yesterday at her house in Hang Dong.

Posts such as this that continue to post about the "seedy criminal underground" give me the sh*ts, more than half the bars are owned by farangs and more than a few have BIB involment in ownership or tea money. If you wanted to start a massive criminal enterprise I would suggest that the "declining" bars in sleepy Chiang Mai are not the best way to go finance wise as Oi (once sponsor left the scene) and others have found out.

Your diatribe/s do nothing more than seek to capitalise on this poor womans misfortune to promote your long held and espoused views on the bar scene. Here's a big tip...its not about you its about her.

Don't make this more than what it is, some opportunistic grub killed a human being who was trying to do the best she could for her family.

Thsi will be your "last words' until your next holier than thou post on the bar scene and your claimed in house knowledge from your son in the BIB (integrity displayed by leaking infromation for you to post speaks volumes about him and your posts).

I should be sol lucky that this is your last post on the bar scene...........

Before more spurious information and graphic photos gets published perhaps some consideration ought to be given to her two sons and greiving father.

Very well said!clap2.gif

Taken from City News,

Looks like a pat on the back for the hotel staff?

Killer of Bar Owner Says Victim Threw His Gift, an Islamic Symbol, Back in his Face

Oct 26, 2012

Society

flag_th.jpg

CityNews – At 11 a.m on October 26th police took Syda Muhammed Ali, 41, back to the scene of the crime. Ali is accused of murdering Duangduern Harris, the owner the Midnight Bar on Loy Kroh Road at a guesthouse on Kochasarn Road October 18th.

When police brought Syda back to the guesthouse for a reenactment of the crime people including relatives of Harris flocked to see the man. Some of the crowd took photographs though others shouted curses at the handcuffed man.

1351216444.jpg

Syda Muhammed Ali

Ali told police that the reason he killed Harris was because when he offered her a gift, which he said was a symbol of Islam, she threw it back in his face. Police are at the moment skeptical of Ali’s statement as Harris was robbed of all her jewelry and other belongings.

Because of the stolen goods, and the fact that Ali had checked into the hotel with a fake name, police believe that the crime was premeditated. Police also told the press that there might be more people involved.

When Ali tried to book into the Lido Hotel in Had Yai he tried to again use a false name though because staff refused to allow him to stay without a passport Ali had no choice but to use his real name, said police. Ali stayed at the hotel from 18-22 October. During this time police were leading an investigation into his whereabouts, and because of Ali’s suspicious behavior police asked to see CCTV tapes from the hotel, whereby they made a positive identification. Ali was apprehended before he could make it onto the Sri Lankan Airlines flight he had booked for the 25th October.

Police have since requested that all hotels ask for a passport before any guests are allowed to stay.

Police have since requested that all hotels ask for a passport before any guests are allowed to stay.

I always believed that was the law anyway. However, it's not clear what his fake ID was. I've used my Thai drivers license instead of my passport to check in to hotels in Thailand. It's not too difficult to get a fake one from Khao San Road supervised by officers of the local police station. Many hotels also either usually request to photocopy the ID card of sex workers who visit guests or refuse them entry. For a number of reasons, I won't be recommending Lai Thai to my friends.

Giggling when others are hurt may be a "cultural difference", but I see nothing wrong in calling it out as rude behavior, as Beb did. If we're suppose to be so senstive about "cultural differences", then I think the Thai people should also realize the need for sensitivity works both ways.

Once we were at Kad Suan Kaew, walking down the hall on one of the higher floors with someone in a management position at the complex. My husband hit his head very, very hard on one of their low beams. As he lay on the floor, trying to keep from fainting and/or vomiting, she was laughing. I had exactly the same response as Beb -- I looked hard at the giggler and said "it's not funny!" She did immediately catch her breath, stop and apologize.

I noticed the next time we were in that part of KSK, they had painted the bean a bright yellow and posted a warning.

Giggling when others are hurt may be a "cultural difference", but I see nothing wrong in calling it out as rude behavior, as Beb did. If we're suppose to be so senstive about "cultural differences", then I think the Thai people should also realize the need for sensitivity works both ways.

Once we were at Kad Suan Kaew, walking down the hall on one of the higher floors with someone in a management position at the complex. My husband hit his head very, very hard on one of their low beams. As he lay on the floor, trying to keep from fainting and/or vomiting, she was laughing. I had exactly the same response as Beb -- I looked hard at the giggler and said "it's not funny!" She did immediately catch her breath, stop and apologize.

I noticed the next time we were in that part of KSK, they had painted the bean a bright yellow and posted a warning.

I know exactly where you are talking about and always thought to myself, someone is going to bang their head hard here some day, if not already.

I always believed that was the law anyway. However, it's not clear what his fake ID was. I've used my Thai drivers license instead of my passport to check in to hotels in Thailand. It's not too difficult to get a fake one from Khao San Road supervised by officers of the local police station. Many hotels also either usually request to photocopy the ID card of sex workers who visit guests or refuse them entry. For a number of reasons, I won't be recommending Lai Thai to my friends.

My feeling is that it was a rogue employee not following the rules. I stayed at the Lai Thai twice, once for a month. Both times they demanded my passport. When I checked a good friend of mine in who came to visit me in late 2010, they demanded his passport too.

My experience in Thailand is the same as it is anywhere in the world. You must show your passport when you check in. They usually photocopy it. Same with Thais here in Thailand. They must show their ID. In the last 5 years I have traveled all over the country and never once has my passport not been demanded upon check in. They always demand the g/f's passport or Thai ID too. On a recent trip to Phuket one hotel in Patong even demanded a copy of my young son's birth certificate.

I have never been asked for pp at smaller hotels in C.R. , sometimes they just hand the key through the car window in exchange for the money. Also not asked at many bungalos on Koh Tao and Koh Chang, no record, no tax.

Edited by daoyai

If we're suppose to be so senstive about "cultural differences", then I think the Thai people should also realize the need for sensitivity works both ways.

Sorry but your reasoning is flawed Nancy. It's fine if a Thai is in another country and sees and recognizes different cultural sensitives and adapt. However, you can not expect the average Thai to know about these differences of other countries, they've lived their life under one cultural roof. As you and beb mentioned, they did change their posture after being sounded out at the cost of their embarrassment and loss of face. Of course we see things through our own cultural glasses but it doesn't mean they see it as we do unless it is brought to their attention.

Agreed, but really for the sake of dealing with this if you choose to live in another country, you're really only harming yourself if you don't note and recognize things like this. By that I mean since I know this is a cultural thing and the intention is not what it appears to me, then for my sake I have to process it differently. Otherwise I'll just be banging my head against a wall complaining about something I have no control over.

It's not easy but it's the only solution I can imagine. I certainly don't think Thais are a terribly rude people. They are some of the nicest people I've lived around.

• Like 1

I have never been asked for pp at smaller hotels in C.R. , sometimes they just hand the key through the car window in exchange for the money. Also not asked at many bungalos on Koh Tao and Koh Chang, no record, no tax.

All I can say is my own personal experience. I have stayed in small hotels in Chiang Rai about 8 times. I have always been asked for my passport. (Small places like that where backpackers frequent would be the first to get burned). I have also stayed in Koh Chang, Koh Samui, Koh Phi Phi, etc., etc., not only in nice hotels but in bungalows as well. I have always been asked for my passport each and every time over the last 23 years.

I think its really depends on who, what when, where... I can't remember ever being asked to show my passport in Thailand except for once in Had Yai. In fact, unless specifically making a visa run, I don't carry my passport with me. In some European countries they even took it a step further and required that I left my passport with them during my stay.

All I can say is my own personal experience. I have stayed in small hotels in Chiang Rai about 8 times. I have always been asked for my passport. (Small places like that where backpackers frequent would be the first to get burned). I have also stayed in Koh Chang, Koh Samui, Koh Phi Phi, etc., etc., not only in nice hotels but in bungalows as well. I have always been asked for my passport each and every time over the last 23 years.

I think its really depends on who, what when, where... I can't remember ever being asked to show my passport in Thailand except for once in Had Yai. In fact, unless specifically making a visa run, I don't carry my passport with me. In some European countries they even took it a step further and required that I left my passport with them during my stay.

That's amazing. Even my g/f has been required to give her Thai ID or her passport everywhere we have been in the last 5 years. Same when traveling with the g/f before that.

As far as Europe is concerned, I traveled the coast of Spain for 6 months straight, from Barcelona to Almeria, the Balearic Islands, etc., staying somewhere different every 2-3 nights. I always had to leave my passport at the hotel upon check in. I did not have my passport in my possession other than during travel time for six months. This was just before the Madrid bombing.

Edited by elektrified

We are digressing a bit when the cultural sensitivities of being laughed at has become the concern on this post rather than the brutality of the crime itself.

What next, complaints about the camera angles, choice of cameras, weight of officers, hair styles, lighting, sound quality, uniform colour, vehicle choice.....

The offender has been captured and the family are thankful and that does matter to me more than any "giggling" (and I am pretty sure to the family as well).

Fairs fair the BIB did a great job, there is nothing with pats on the back or credit where it is well earned. It's not like some police services overseas will not have "happy" press conferences with smiling prosecutors, thanking the good work of officers/community when a particular heinous crime is finalised (and also acknowledge the family, whereas here they actually had the family notified, invited, seated and acknowledged by the senior officers).

I don't personally care if they had a brass band and cracked open a few beers on TV. Police in Thailand cop flack a lot of the time (often deservedly so). This however was a very good result and they deserve recognition, acknowledgement and thanks.

BIB should feel rightfully pleased and happy with themselves on this one.

Edited by mamborobert
  • Like 2

Police deserve the recognition for a job well done, the TV News reports have only a short amount of air time so much of the video footage was edited. What you didn't see on the news report, was the Police, Media, Family & Friends showing this family kindness, compassion & support.. I am relieved for the family that the Police were able to catch this guy & perhaps bring some sort of closure & justice for the family.... My fellow travellers & I checked in on the 12th Oct to Lai Thai, and I filled out the check-in form for all three of us who have three spereate rooms, I wrote down my name & passport number & address & no copy of my passport was taken.. My two other companions were not asked to provide any documentation or ID.. However this may be due to the fact that I have been staying at Lai Thai each time I come to Chiang Mai & so the staff know me, it is the first time tho my two other friends have stayed.. I am sure after this tragic event, check-in will be tightened & perhaps ID needs to be sighted at the bars in the area so perhaps the girls can have more protection when leaving with farangs..

• Like 1