Traffic Law ?

poanoi

I would speak for myself.

Primarily, i want a written and signed statement that state what IS the law in this matter.

and yes, it wasnt that i took over, but that i had used the right lane, which is from what i know universally the appropriate lane while taking over.

Also universaly is to go back to left lane after the overtaking is done, which i did.

You should have used the footpath on Sukhumvit, that's where you're supposed to take over.

• Like 1

sadly Poanoi you chose the wrong forum to ask on, most of the posters on here are just here to ridicule or have a superior attitude rather than just give a sensible answer,

It would appear here that there is no option to go to court, most people just pay the fine, it seems the simplest way, of course it does not fix the problem, it allows the problems to carry on, you seem to have no redress with motoring offences.

Yes, it was a 50/50 to post in bike or general forum,

since there isnt any thai traffic law forum to my knowledge

Hey theres a topic idea, Thai road rules.

Would mean that forum rules would be not adhered to like the Thai road rules are not adhered to? Just kidding

That would depend on which Mod happened to come along (JUST KIDDING! Will 100 baht tea money be OK?? ) whistling.gif

• Like 1

Does anyone know of a video cam suited to be mounted on a bike ?

Where can i buy one in Pattaya ?

I've decided to from now on record every time i drive

This is a good idea. I will mount one on my car. Check the bikeforum, there was a couple of topics about this. smile.png

I actually think OP is right. This has been discussed before on the bike forum, and no one could find the law that says bikes must stay far left at all times and can't overtake on the right.

When they wrote the ticket, did they write down the section of law that you supposedly violated?

Let it go.......I know it leaves a nasty taste in your mouth after being blatantly ripped off, just because you were an easy target.

The BiB are collecting their drinking money for songkran....that's life....(unfortunately).

He should think about the times when he broke the traffic laws and didn't get caught.wai.gif

• Like 1

A couple of years back I got fined 400 (proper written ticket) for driving in a bus lane .... and I wasn't in a bus lane. Anyway, just copped it on the chin and paid it.

I understand your frustration OP - the principle of the matter etc - but IMO it's still not worth fighting it.

Some guys get all the excitement! whistling.gif Another Crocodile-Dundee experience in LOS.w00t.gif Guess the barstool-mates have heard it a few times by now??

A couple of years back I got fined 400 (proper written ticket) for driving in a bus lane .... and I wasn't in a bus lane. Anyway, just copped it on the chin and paid it.

I understand your frustration OP - the principle of the matter etc - but IMO it's still not worth fighting it.

Some guys get all the excitement! whistling.gif Another Crocodile-Dundee experience in LOS.w00t.gif Guess the barstool-mates have heard it a few times by now??

It was the highlight of my trip

• Like 1

So there ARE traffic laws in Thailand!1 I think they must change everyday!!!

The same laws as are used in Australia, Britain and New Zealand, the difference is in each of the affore mentioned countries the law is strictly enforced, here in Los its up to the interpretation of the individual officer, which in essence means Thailand has thousands of traffic laws all operating at the same time.

Sent from my GT-I9003

I would love to hear how it went if you took it to court.

You would probably set a precident for all others that have been wrongly ticketed by a thai cop.(that probably pocketed the cash)

OP you could become like a legend in falang history!

I say go for it, take it to court, Im cheering you on. If you do, make sure you let me know what happened.

Does anyone know of a video cam suited to be mounted on a bike ?

Where can i buy one in Pattaya ?

I've decided to from now on record every time i drive

There are cameras quite cheap these days. Ive seen them advertised in stores like good guys etc here in Australia in like camera sections. Wouldnt be hard to find in Thailand. Try central Pattaya. Plenty of camera stores there. Or ebay would for sure.

Yes, it was a 50/50 to post in bike or general forum,

since there isnt any thai traffic law forum to my knowledge

You could post it any of the many forums here and the response you would get would be the same. You have broken the law and been fined. Get over the fact and just enjoy.

Back in the UK you would be looking at penalty points on your license plus a fine of around 6000 Baht plus the cost of your already expensive insurance would rise. here it is around 8 pounds and end of story !

If getting fined 400 Baht ruins your week then Thailand may not be the place for you.

At least here the fine you with a smile thumbsup.gif

^

That's the thing, I really cannot find and no one has been able to post the actual law that was supposed to have been broken. I don't think there is a law on the books against doing what the OP did.

I do agree with Draftvader, and I would consider it kind of the "tax" for living in Thailand though. In the U.S. the fine for running a red light is about $400 USD. So 400 baht I could live with even if I didn't do anything wrong. The salary of a Thai police officer (starting out which anyone assigned to traffic probably would be a lower rung, new police officer) is less than 8,000 baht per month if IIRC. Sooooo...I guess someone has to provide a source of income for them to survive.

OP, are you really going to mount a camera on your bike though? It seems kind of...well an aggravation. Like when you park in Tesco and whatnot you're going to lug the camera with you or place in your storage compartment?

So there ARE traffic laws in Thailand!1 I think they must change everyday!!!

The same laws as are used in Australia, Britain and New Zealand, the difference is in each of the affore mentioned countries the law is strictly enforced, here in Los its up to the interpretation of the individual officer, which in essence means Thailand has thousands of traffic laws all operating at the same time.

Sent from my GT-I9003

Yes I understand the laws in England and do my best to observe the traffic laws as I was taught. My comment was a bit flippant. I should have asked 'What is the Law as it stands today?' not by you or the general population but by the policeman who stops you, and decides today I will do this or that.

I like many members have come across so called infringements that are just made up on the spot. Such as coming to a vehicle check point where only one car can go through at a time. I followed 3 other cars, they were not stopped, I was, and had to pay 200B for driving in the wrong lane!!!!

So what you say is correct but the Thailand police do have laws that no other country that you mention have. It is called the 'My Law Of The Day'.

• Like 1

I have checked out tuk com, GT rider, & Central, i think it was 'best buy' in central.

GT rider had the best no doubt, but also the most pricey by far,

1080 res and i got the impression it can charge from battery while in use,

this makes a difference since on internal they are restricted to at most 2 hour,

it has a display for viewing from the cam itself, cost 12.900 baht.

At tuk com, they had 2 on 3rd floor, one for 2000 and the other for 5000,

more intended to use on helmet, but can be attached to handle bar,

no display on either, and i would easily pick the 2000 baht cam,

even more so with regards to price.

I especially liked the quick snap on/off on them

At Central 'best buy' they had a cam reminding of the one at GT rider,

in that it had a display, but less resolution, and just didnt look all that fancy.

cost 2900 baht, but a memory stick has to be bought too, so + a 16 GB and total 3900 baht.

It could perhaps be possible to make it charge in use, at expense of water proof

It's much better if your topic headline has some relationship to your content - maybe other people can understand what you're talking about, but for myself I had no idea until I spent some time puzzling through your very casual riting stile.

Do you have a question? Or are you just sharing information that you think someone else might care about? Did you intend to post in the "general" forum, or is there perhaps a more appropriate place to post on this topic?

"my law of the day says it all", the fines are more prevalent as their pay day approaches, so towards end of month they are out and about being vigilant.

when I drive from chanthaburi to surin I am sure to be stopped at least once, the one thing I never do is open my wallet, I keep license in top pocket.hand to cop and let missus do talkin.

I agree with the other guys 400 baht is chicken feed

It's much better if your topic headline has some relationship to your content - maybe other people can understand what you're talking about, but for myself I had no idea until I spent some time puzzling through your very casual riting stile.

Do you have a question? Or are you just sharing information that you think someone else might care about? Did you intend to post in the "general" forum, or is there perhaps a more appropriate place to post on this topic?

Welcome back Johnnywai2.gif . Glad to see you are still the same old friendly poster, we have gotten used to!w00t.gif

Don't spoil it for the guys here, sharing their exciting encounters with lawenforcement in Thailandcoffee1.gif . And whatever you do, don't tell the OP, that he is making a fool of himself. Got fined 400 baht and instead of paying and getting on with his life, oh no straight on to Thaivisa to share his bad luck with his fellow adventurers. Not to mention him considering buying a camera to a price that would allow him to be fined at least 10 times tongue.png

I had a friend that lived in Hua Hin. He got the usual shake down for 2-300 Baht. He was new there and decided no smug little Thai was going to have him over. he gave the officer a shouting at and ended up getting a proper ticket which he told the officer he was never going to pay. Against all the advice his friends that had lived there a long time gave him he turned up at the police station with his very expensive lawyer. His lawyer ended up getting the fine dropped. I believe he charged my friend 20,000 Baht for the pleasure.

Everytime my friend ventured out in either the car or his bike he was stopped and hassled and made to go to the station where eventually after a few hours things were simply dropped. He also managed to " Collide " with several Thai's all costing him large sums of money and in the end he had to move.

And all because of 2-300 Baht and his over inflated ego.

Me I just hand over the money with a smile and think of the amount the police back in the UK cost me over the years for various minor infringements of the law.

Up to you as they say here but for the price of a few beers in a bar is it really worth letting it upset you ?

• Like 1