Vlc Player Installation On Non-Internet Computer?

mixed

I have a computer that isn't connected to the internet. It's running Windows XP and I'd like to install VLC Player. I download and save the file to a flash drive, but the computer won't install it. I've tried saving earlier versions of VLC, but no luck.

Weird! I've been running VLC on Vista/7 for years, and I usually do my installs when off-line.

Maybe you did an initial install that went awry, and now it is messing up all your further attempts? Try doing a good cleanup, followed by a re-boot and try again.

If you still can't get it working you can try the portable version. The only real dis-advantage is that you will not get "open in VLC player" options in Windows Explorer.

http://portableapps.com/apps/music_video/vlc_portable

I've redownloaded several times, none of the files work, I downloaded version 1 as a torrent, this is what's happening:

- I copy it to a flash drive, then try to open on my Win 7 PC, it works fine.

- I put the flash in the XP PC, it comes up as DOS for a split second. Trying to opening it the Install Programs dialog box also doesn't

- When I bring the flash drive back to the WIn 7 PC, the file no longer works. It comes up as DOS for a split second, no error program.

I will try GOM.

I've redownloaded several times, none of the files work, I downloaded version 1 as a torrent, this is what's happening:

- I copy it to a flash drive, then try to open on my Win 7 PC, it works fine.

- I put the flash in the XP PC, it comes up as DOS for a split second. Trying to opening it the Install Programs dialog box also doesn't

- When I bring the flash drive back to the WIn 7 PC, the file no longer works. It comes up as DOS for a split second, no error program.

I will try GOM.

you're virused on the other computer, the virus changes the .exe and integrity is compromised.

Why use a torrent to download a 21MB file?

You're not downloading the source code rather than the .exe file are you?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

I installed from the above link, copied to a USB drive, then set up on Win XP SP3 with the internet turned off just to test, no problem.

What version of XP are you using and is it original or a copy?

I downloaded as a torrent, as the regular method wasn't working.

I just tried Gom, exactly the same, although I did get the error message "A file need for initialization could not be created...." or something like that. I will virus scan the computer.

Sounds like the problems you can run in to with a non-genuine version of Windows... but if that's not the case then maybe you just don't have permission to install programs? Could always try copying from the flash drive to the hard disk, then rebooting in to Safe Mode and see if you can install from there. Both VLC and GOM will want to connect to the internet to check for updates but even so you can install either on a computer not connected to the internet in my experience.

I think it is complete insanity to download executable files from torrents.

The VLC download page does work: I just tried it. Whatever problem you are experiencing has some other cause, and if you are the sort of person who downloads executables from torrents then the odds are that your PCs are absolutely riddled with nasty things.

Sounds like you have thumb-drive problems or you picked up something nasty (or both).

Try this: on the PC that you're doing the download on, after you finish dl-ing zip or rar the VLC installer WITH A PASSWORD. Copy that to the thumb drive, then bring it to the other PC. Copy that zip file to the local harddrive. Unzip it. Then run the installer.

If the zip file cannot unpack you know the problem is somewhere in your file copying scheme, not with the VLC file.

Edited by bendejo

Have you stated which Service Pack is installed? That question has fallen on deaf ears.

Anyway, there is more than one option.

You can install it or you can just run the application without the need for installation.

Installed version here

Portable version: here Just extract the folder within and run the VLC application in order to play your media.