Uk Police Open Criminal Investigation Into Savile Child Abuse Scandal

News_Editor

UK police open criminal investigation into Savile child abuse scandal < br />

2012-10-20 03:18:47 GMT+7 (ICT)

LONDON, ENGLAND (BNO NEWS) -- British police on Friday launched a formal criminal investigation into allegations that BBC entertainer Jimmy Savile was involved in the sexual abuse of dozens or perhaps hundreds of children over the six decades prior to his death last year, Scotland Yard said.

The scandal emerged earlier this month when British television network ITV aired an investigative program in which several women alleged Savile sexually abused them when they were below the age of consent. The program claimed Savile would use his fame to get access to young teenage girls, some who may have been as young as 12 years old.

Commander Peter Spindler of the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS), which is better known as Scotland Yard, said the public's response to an initial assessment has been astounding. "We are dealing with alleged abuse on an unprecedented scale," he said on Friday. "The profile of this operation has empowered a staggering number of victims to come forward to report the sexual exploitation which occurred during their childhood."

British police have so far identified more than 200 potential victims, a significant increase from the 60 potential victims less than a week ago. The allegations against Savile span six decades with reports starting in 1959 up to and including 2006, just five years before he died at his home in northern England at the age of 84.

With information now gathered from both the public and organizations, British police have moved Operation Yewtree from an assessment to a formal criminal investigation into child sexual exploitation by Savile and others. "As we have said from the outset, our work was never going to take us into a police investigation into Jimmy Savile," Scotland Yard said in a statement on Friday. "What we have established in the last two weeks is that there are lines of inquiry involving living people that require formal investigation."

The BBC has also come under fire after it emerged that the broadcaster had canceled a six-week Newsnight investigation in December 2011 which looked into claims that police and the Crown Prosecution Service had dropped inquiries into abuse allegations against Savile. Some women have also claimed they were abused by Savile on BBC premises.

BBC director-general George Entwistle apologized to potential victims last week and promised to investigate the allegations. "The BBC will not avoid confronting the events of its past; to understand what happened and to try to ensure that nothing of this kind can happen ever again at the BBC," he said in a video statement.

The broadcaster has ordered two independent investigations into the alleged sexual abuse by Savile. One investigation will focus on why the BBC Newsnight investigation was canceled while the second investigation will be to determine whether culture and practice at the BBC at the time enabled Savile to sexually abuse children.

Entwistle also defended the broadcaster's decision last year to cancel its investigation into Savile. "Despite our efforts to make clear our belief that the decision to drop the Newsnight investigation was taken properly for sound editorial reasons people have continued to speculate," he said in the video. "This is damaging to the BBC and is a cloud of suspicion which cannot be allowed to continue."

Savile was hugely popular in Britain and was best known for being the first and last presenter of the long-running BBC music chart show "Top of the Pops" and for hosting the BBC television show "Jim'll Fix It". He was also known for his voluntary work and is estimated to have raised more than £40 million ($64 million) for charity, earning him knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II in 1996 and Papal knighthood from Pope John Paul II in 1990.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-10-20

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always detested Savile, an immensely annoying person.

Now that this has come up I feel like puking when I think of him.

But then again those who covered for him inside the BBC should be prosecuted. I wonder whether there was anyone in the U.K who dismissed the allegations against Savile when they first emerged.

What exactly are they hoping to achieve with this? The man is dead so not like he can even be punished. Waste of police resource and tax payers money if you ask me.

They are just trying to cover their spineless and paranoid backs.

It is true Mr Saville probably broke the law which was very unprofessional and improper, however he did so by 'doing' underage women not children.

The Media does itself and the the cause of true child abuse no favours when constantly referring to sexually mature humans as 'Children' coupled with the very common misuse of the term pedophilia, All that is a serious abuse of the medias responsibility to society.

In the USA in some states under some circumstances, what in the UK is an under age woman (and who Mr Saville is accused of mistreating) are permitted to marry and be legally 'abused' ,

In Spain a woman of the age of 13 is permitted to be abused quite legally.

Yes he broke the law but that is Rock and Roll ! clap2.gif

• Like 1

I grew up on Jim'll Fix It. A lot of people held Jim in high regard, probably even his young victims right up to the minute they were allegedly abused.

I for one cannot understand why an adult cannot control his sexual urges.

What exactly are they hoping to achieve with this? The man is dead so not like he can even be punished. Waste of police resource and tax payers money if you ask me.

...sexual abuse of dozens or perhaps hundreds of children over the six decades prior to his death last year, Scotland Yard said.

Scotland Yard took 60 years to uncover this ... or more likely for it to uncover itself. Maybe if he had taken up residence in Thailand the Thai police could have (once again) arrested yet another Brit who slipped through the Scotland Yard Keystone Cops' fingers. I suppose they were all busy looking for new bribe sources now that Rupert's cash flow to them has been cut off.

I grew up on Jim'll Fix It. A lot of people held Jim in high regard, probably even his young victims right up to the minute they were allegedly abused.

I'm sure you could get a lot of insight into that perplexing question by running a poll here at TV ... command central for those with a broad spectrum of uncontrolled urges.

I still don't understand what will happen when they find him guilty.

Scotland Yard will find someone willing to bribe them to suppress the evidence. Same old, Same old.

Edited by Suradit69

As stated in the news report above the focus of the police investigation is not Jimmy Savile (dead), but "As we have said from the outset, our work was never going to take us into a police investigation into Jimmy Savile," Scotland Yard said in a statement on Friday. "What we have established in the last two weeks is that there are lines of inquiry involving living people that require formal investigation."

But then again those who covered for him inside the BBC should be prosecuted. I wonder whether there was anyone in the U.K who dismissed the allegations against Savile when they first emerged.

I've always had the highest regard for the superb journalistic skills of BBC reporter John Simpson and I think it is disgusting the way he was treated by the BBC for trying to expose this matter so I'm sure there are people who still works for the BBC who can be prosecuted

Jimmy Savile Not Only BBC Abuser, Says John Simpson Who 'Tried To Publish Claims But Was Silenced'

BBC World Affairs Editor John Simpson indicated in his autobiography 13 years ago that he had learned of another BBC luminary who used his popularity to lure children to the studios and abuse them, but he was told off when he tried to investigate the claims.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10/17/jimmy-savile-john-simpson-bbc-presenter-abuse_n_1972912.html

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 2

I do not defend this pervert in any way. And to set things straight, I have a perverted leaning for older women, which gets to be a bit of a problem at my age, 64.

The sixties were another country, another age, sex had been discovered for the first time and plenty of under aged kids were trying it, and good for them. It was accepted that it was our moral bound duty to bonk ourselves stupid with whoever was available.

However, obliging unwilling youngsters into a first experience with such an obnoxious piece of excrement is going to affect them for the rest of their lives.

...sexual abuse of dozens or perhaps hundreds of children over the six decades prior to his death last year, Scotland Yard said.

Scotland Yard took 60 years to uncover this ... or more likely for it to uncover itself. Maybe if he had taken up residence in Thailand the Thai police could have (once again) arrested yet another Brit who slipped through the Scotland Yard Keystone Cops' fingers. I suppose they were all busy looking for new bribe sources now that Rupert's cash flow to them has been cut off.

Either that or connect him with mothers who would later sue.

To investigate other people who were also involved and still alive.

It seems there are many who helped cover up, those who chose to do nothing when confronted with allegations, those who suspected but did nothing, and those who probably did worse.

• Like 1

if the girls were not kids,but really young adults that willing did what they did whats the issue? Yea i know underage for the UK but of legal age in many other countries.

The issue is that most of the girls he abused were not willing!

Especially those he abused whilst posing as a volunteer in two hospitals; one of them a psychiatric hospital!

• Like 1

What complete twaddle!

if the girls were not kids,but really young adults that willing did what they did whats the issue? Yea i know underage for the UK but of legal age in many other countries.

They weren't all willing - that's why they are coming forward now. I don't think a good defense for any crime is claiming that what you did is legal somewhere else.

If these allegations are proved true, and they are allegations at the moment, then it's a real shame that someone like Savile, who did so many good things, used his fame and position to exploit young adults or children for his sexual gratification. People are not all the same and mature physically and mentally at different ages. That's why we have laws to protect them.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

I'm sure you could get a lot of insight into that perplexing question by running a poll here at TV ... command central for those with a broad spectrum of uncontrolled urges.

Scotland Yard will find someone willing to bribe them to suppress the evidence. Same old, Same old.

And you have evidence of all the supposed bribery taking place in the UK do you? I think you're getting your police forces mixed up!

The endemically corrupt brought in to investigate endemic corruption.

Officers from mainland British forces, who had previously taken over leadership of the local force on a mission to root out alleged “endemic corruption” within Jersey’s constabulary, led the high‑profile investigation into historical child abuse on the island.

Now two of those officers, Jersey’s former Chief Officer Graham Power and the former Deputy Chief Officer Lenny Harper, the senior officer in the Haut de la Garenne abuse inquiry, are backing victims’ calls for an outside force to investigate allegations that Sir Jimmy Savile and others, including some celebrities, regularly sexually abused children on Jersey.

http://www.telegraph...he-iceberg.html

If the News of the World hadn't been shut down, they'd be bribing one set of police for the dirt on another set of police who would be feeding information to its own reporters who would be hacking mobile phones of whoever.

(When asked what he thought of Western civilization): ―

I think it would be a good idea.”
Mahatma Gandhi

And you have evidence of all the supposed bribery taking place in the UK do you? I think you're getting your police forces mixed up!

Are you serious? Have you been dozing while the News of the World bribed police and hacked phones of kidnapped children?

Just Google Scotland Yard or Met Police & Corruption or Bribery. There will be pages and pages of links to click on. For example

Scotland Yard today arrested a serving policeman and two former officers on suspicion of bribing detectives in its anti-corruption command.

It raided the premises of the private detective agency RISC Management in central London and seized two employees who used to work for the Met.

Hours later, a 45-year-old detective constable with the Met was arrested at a residential address outside London.

One of the two men held at the agency’s Conduit Street offices is understood to be its chief executive Keith Hunter, a former Yard detective. The identity of the two other men are not known.

And even when Rupert & son were testifying before a parliamentary committee, the British Keystone Cops couldn't prevent some moron from hitting him with a pie. His wife had to protect him.

Sorry reality doesn't conform to your agenda.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

@Suradit69: Given the number of people in law enforcement there will always be a some who don't meet the standards and professionalism of the vast majority that do so. To insinuate (in your post #8) that UK police would rather look for bribes than investigate sexual assault cases is totally out of order.

Further detail of metropolitan police officers under investigation/convicted over a three year period out of 14,000 staff at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19728951

Suradit69

You seem to really hate the UK police.

Yes, there is some corruption but really most police are beyond corruption, when found out it is big news in the UK because it is not the norm, you site an unproved allegation, talk about digging dirt.

I am not saying some police are corrupt, news today of the death of a suspended police officer just shows how serious any form of corruption is taken. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-20013061

As for the incident inside portcullis House I think I am right in saying security is down to private contractors like G4S.

Suradit69

Yes, there is some corruption but really most police are beyond corruption, when found out it is big news in the UK because it is not the norm, you site an unproved allegation, talk about digging dirt.

I am not saying some police are corrupt, news today of the death of a suspended police officer just shows how serious any form of corruption is taken. http://www.bbc.co.uk...rshire-20013061

As for the incident inside portcullis House I think I am right in saying security is down to private contractors like G4S.

I think Basil B it quite correct. I have a low opinion of the English police ever since the framing of the Birmingham 6 & the Guildford 4. As already mentioned, News Corp's bribing of them has not been fully investigated. Plenty of cases in between that lot too.

Suradit69

I am not saying some police are corrupt, news today of the death of a suspended police officer just shows how serious any form of corruption is taken. http://www.bbc.co.uk...rshire-20013061

I think Basil B it quite correct. I have a low opinion of the English police ever since the framing of the Birmingham 6 & the Guildford 4. As already mentioned, News Corp's bribing of them has not been fully investigated. Plenty of cases in between that lot too.

Must have been sloshed when posting that. It should read 'I think Suradit69 is quite correct.......

Have to say i was always sceptical / suspicious of persons who like to spend an excessive amount of time around children,....defining children as age 1 to 16.

@Essexyman. True, nobody comes out of this affair smelling of roses and Scarborough has even been saddled with a road named after the degenerate - Savile view (sic). I do remember recently the witch hunt that attempted to hang News International out to dry so you can't blame the right wing press trying to get even when the BBC is in the firing line. Also anyone in the UK has to pay a mandatory license fee subsidizing the BBC, but sadly they have become more and more politicized and less and less honest in their reporting, which is a sad state of affairs for a once great organization. Perhaps a purge there is overdue and if the Savile affair indirectly contributes to this then bring it on imho.