Need Some Advice... My Thai Girlfriend Is Coming Over To Give Birth To Our Baby In Aus...

Hey Guys & Girls!

I am just asking about something i don't quite have clear information about.

My girlfriend who is 100% thai is coming to AUS to give birth to our little kid and we want to know will he get an australian passport or what?

We arn't legally signed for any relationship status kind of thing as she is my girlfriend.. so what happens when the kids born here in aus?

She will be on a tourist visa ofcourse, so when that runs out, does that mean the kid can stay here and she goes back or the oppisite?

anyone with information would be great, i do know however, because she doesnt have medicare and what not we have to pay the full hospital fee's ... and that is costly in australia because of the rediculous labour charges and hospital charges we have......

Any tips, or ideas... or info would be much appreciated..

A.

So does she have the visa at the moment?

If not then the Embassy might not issue one if it is clear that she is going to have the baby in Australia, then legally she can apply to stay there as the baby's father is Australian, thus trying a different route than the normal route to stay legally in Australia. Also how far gone is she? (If she already has the visa then this does not apply)

The baby will get Australian citizenship through you, however you will be recognised as the father in Australia but not legally in Thailand for that you must be married and also have been to the courts.

Why not have the baby in Thailand, less stress for her with travelling, and a hell of a lot cheaper, and it is safe here too.

Edited by beano2274

Would much rather my child to be born and raised in australia... no offense or anything, but i know thai hospitals are good and all.. but the quality of life is way differnt in my side of town to Bangkok...

Why do you want baby born where it costs you money?

Where it's born and where it's brought up are not connected.

So what does it matter if the thailand goverment doesnt legally allow for me being the father just because im not married? is that even a problem if the kid plans on living in Australia with the father ? I .e Me?

Are you sure your GF will like it there? Many go, and some come back with the kids, when the kid is here you have no legal rights to anything.

Am not saying this will happen, but it could.

Because it's something i prefer, freedom of being an Australian to me. I dont want my kid to be born in Thailand.

I was told by some thai's that the baby has to go home if im not married, and that means go home with the mother. But i think that is bullocks... why should he if hes Australian born with his Australian dad.

Yeah my girlfriend used to study in Aus and has been many times.. so it's all good

Edited by alexaustralia

Would much rather my child to be born and raised in australia... no offense or anything, but i know thai hospitals are good and all.. but the quality of life is way differnt in my side of town to Bangkok...

Why do you want baby born where it costs you money?

Where it's born and where it's brought up are not connected.

as correctly said where it is born and where it is brought up have no bearing, If she has the baby here, which is cheaper you can also apply for an Australian Passport for the child if you are named on the Birth certificate, then you can all with the correct visa for your GF go to Australia

Thanks for the info, i don't care about the price of birth here in Aus.. money is not as important as life. I am just wanting to know the real answers.. apparently the thai goverment said because im not married it means nothing in australia.. which doesn't make sense or even sound right to me if the kid wants to be an aussie... and not a thai

Thanks for the info, i don't care about the price of birth here in Aus.. money is not as important as life. I am just wanting to know the real answers.. apparently the thai goverment said because im not married it means nothing in australia.. which doesn't make sense or even sound right to me if the kid wants to be an aussie... and not a thai

Sorry but have you asked the kid if it wants to be both Thai and Australian, it seems you are thinking of your wishes and not those of the others involved.

Sorry if harsh but I have seen these things go pear shaped many times.

Just read that she will go on a tourist visa, if it is clear to the ECO that she will have the baby in Australia and try to circumnavigate the rules in place, then they might not issue a visa.

They will think that she will have the baby and then she will claim that she cannot leave the baby in Australia, which is actually not the way to go about it.

Dont worry the dates and visas etc are taken care of.. just want to know if the thai's are feeding us bulllocks.. because after extensive googling i have found this information.

" In order for a child born in Australia to be a citizen on birth one of the parents must already be a citizen ."

The child will have Australian nationality, if you legitimize the birth (recognize the child as yours before the law) and will also have Thai nationality because of the mother. Both countries allow this.

You will need to keep in mind that after a certain time into the pregnacy airlines will not take her onboard.

Regarding your visa questions for Australia, I have now moved your post to the forum about visas for other countries, as I think you will get better answers there.

Dont worry the dates and visas etc are taken care of.. just want to know if the thai's are feeding us bulllocks.. because after extensive googling i have found this information.

" In order for a child born in Australia to be a citizen on birth one of the parents must already be a citizen ."

If you are Australian then it can be registered as an Australian, your GF is Thai and can register the birth at the Thai Embassy in Australia.

How for into the prenacy will she be when she arrives in Australia? I have just read the post again and saw that she will be on a tourist visa. When she arrives an Immigration officer may query her if she is very pregnant. They may deem that she is infact not a tourist. Be aware that a visa can be cancelled at the arrival point.

How for into the prenacy will she be when she arrives in Australia? I have just read the post again and saw that she will be on a tourist visa. When she arrives an Immigration officer may query her if she is very pregnant. They may deem that she is infact not a tourist. Be aware that a visa can be cancelled at the arrival point.

Very true and this seems, to me, that the OP is trying to circumnavigate the correct immigration procedures. But hey not my taxes or my country

Get married in Thailand. Have your wife then give birth in Thailand. Later your wife can apply for a 309/100 visa to return with you to Australia to live and work. The baby will then be recognised as an Australian citizen.

The birth will be registered in Thailand. De facto relationships are not recognised in Thailand. If DIAC think that she intends to have the baby in Australia and she is not married or in a defacto relationship ( min 12 months ) she will not be granted a visa.

Your legal relationship at present is that of live in girlfriend/ boyfriend, that is all. No legal standing.

Edited by electau

first do you know that the baby is yours 150%,you say the thai's are feeding you bullocks,and who has taken care of the dates and visas,why not listen to whats been said already,you will get more acurate info from tv.members than google.i dont know the laws on entering a country pregnant but a mate of mine had his girlfreind travel to the uk.1992 6months pregnant on a tourist visa only to be sent back.so if someone has arranged the visa for her and is thai she might have been fed a load of bullocks.

Very true and this seems, to me, that the OP is trying to circumnavigate the correct immigration procedures. But hey not my taxes or my country

IMO, the chances of a pregnant woman with an Australian citizen with her or waiting for her,

being refused entry, detained and returned home are nil, nada, none.

Having said that, if one assumes her tourist visa has "8503" no further stay condition, then the chances

of her getting another visa (apart from a Bridging visa E) to stay permanently in Australia are the same.

Regards

Will

It would be most likely that she would not be permitted to fly by the airline. There is no reason why she can not have the baby in Thailand, she does not need to travel to Australia until a later date. She is in my opinion trying to use a 676 visa for other purposes not related to a visitors visa.

There is another visa for medical reasons, but it would appear she would not qualify for that. It is a subclass 675 Medical treatment short stay 3 months.

I havnt read all the thread but heres what I think..

My wifes about to have our daughter here n Adelaide, Australia.

The best hospital in Thailand is easily outdone by our Aussie hospitals.My wife wanted to have our baby there but after speaking to a Thai interpreter that works at womens and childerens hospital here she soon changed her mind.

Your wife will be here on a tourist visa, her hospital bill will be in the thousands. Perhaps a thousand a day while staying there,ring the hospital here and ask.

So, having the bubs in LOS will be alot cheaper for you, you can go VIP in a hospital in LOS.

Other costs are perhaps 200 a visit to see midwife pre labor. So far up to 7 months without my wife having medicare(which she does now) have been maybe maybe 2grand. Not that much really.

Yes the baby can be born here, yes it can be Aussie regardless of where its born because of blood lines.

Im sure you are eligible for baby bonus also even if the bubs is born in LOS....check that out.

End of day, if you have the cash, then have it here.

Like I said be prepared for a 1000$ a day hospital bill here in AUS.

There is no way your wife will get medicare on tourist visa, I tried.

If you get married then get a bridging visa then medicares easy, we got it.

Good luck with bubs and anything else just ask me or PM me.

BTW each airline website has 'flying while pregnant rules' on their website.

Edited by krisb

I havnt read all the thread but heres what I think..

My wifes about to have our daughter here n Adelaide, Australia.

The best hospital in Thailand is easily outdone by our Aussie hospitals.My wife wanted to have our baby there but after speaking to a Thai interpreter that works at womens and childerens hospital here she soon changed her mind.

Your wife will be here on a tourist visa, her hospital bill will be in the thousands. Perhaps a thousand a day while staying there,ring the hospital here and ask.

So, having the bubs in LOS will be alot cheaper for you, you can go VIP in a hospital in LOS.

Other costs are perhaps 200 a visit to see midwife pre labor. So far up to 7 months without my wife having medicare(which she does now) have been maybe maybe 2grand. Not that much really.

Yes the baby can be born here, yes it can be Aussie regardless of where its born because of blood lines.

Im sure you are eligible for baby bonus also even if the bubs is born in LOS....check that out.

End of day, if you have the cash, then have it here.

Like I said be prepared for a 1000$ a day hospital bill here in AUS.

There is no way your wife will get medicare on tourist visa, I tried.

If you get married then get a bridging visa then medicares easy, we got it.

Good luck with bubs and anything else just ask me or PM me.

BTW each airline website has 'flying while pregnant rules' on their website.

If you read the OP's opener, it is his GF not his wife, which means different rules. They seem to be trying to get her to Aus then keep her there as they know that the baby and the mother cannot be parted, and the father will register the baby as Australian, thus circumnavigating the correct Immigration procedures.

Most airlines will accept a passenger who is pregnant up to 28 weeks and after that they must have a medical certificate stating that they are fit to fly within the 72 hours after deparature and which has been issued within the previous 7 days.

A person is not entitled to any Centrelink benefits while on a 676 visitors visa and it is recommended that they have comprehensive health insurance for their period of stay.

Health insurance generally excludes existing pregnancy issues for the first 9 months of the policy.

Has the visa 676 been granted? Is travel to Australia proposed in the period up to 28 weeks? Is the visa if already granted a single entry or multi entry? If single entry does it have an 8503 " No further stay" endorsement?

It would be advisable for you to contact DIAC and explain your intentions to them.

Edited by electau
  • Like 1

Seems there does seem to be many assumptions being made here.

Is the OP (alexaustralia) and Australian Citizen / permanent resident?

Born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986

General

People born in Australia (including Norfolk Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands and Christmas Island) on or after 20 August 1986 are Australian citizens by birth if at least one parent was an Australian citizen or a permanent resident at the time of the person’s birth.

In cases where both the applicant and the parent(s) of the applicant were born after 20 August 1986 and neither of the parents has held an Australian passport with at least 2 years validity issued on or after 1 January 2000, the following applies:

• Applicant born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986 and parent(s) born in Australia before 20 August 1986: the applicant should provide evidence of one parent’s citizenship or permanent residency ...

In cases where the applicant is unable to provide supporting documentation to confirm their Australian citizenship, refer the applicant to DIAC.

More information here ... Citizenship by birth in Australia.

Is the OP (alexaustralia) and Australian Citizen / permanent resident?

Edited by David48

Another assumption by the OP is that his gf is guaranteed to receive a Visa for Australia.

Visas which are more then 3 months in duration require a medical clearance ... the main complication being the medical X-Ray.

The X-Ray process could seriously affect the unborn child and the medical staff use other methods, but this requires the lady in inform that she is indeed pregnant.

There are serious repercussions if you falsify the Visa application.

its 30hrs.since the op.has asked for advice,he has since failed to answer vital questions being how many months pregnant is she[3times] and who has arranged her visa.all the posts that have given him the advice he wanted,but seems he has eluded this advice by tv.members who have many yrs.of knowledge of of the systems required,myself [30yrs] and am still leaning.so lets give him a chance to reply and hope he see's that we are not on his back but only trying to help.

• Like 2