Need Some Advice... My Thai Girlfriend Is Coming Over To Give Birth To Our Baby In Aus...

Another assumption by the OP is that his gf is guaranteed to receive a Visa for Australia.

Visas which are more then 3 months in duration require a medical clearance ... the main complication being the medical X-Ray.

The X-Ray process could seriously affect the unborn child and the medical staff use other methods, but this requires the lady in inform that she is indeed pregnant.

There are serious repercussions if you falsify the Visa application.

Absoloutely correct about the xray David.

I cant remember if my mrs had 1 for tourist visa or not but the OPs mrs cannot 100%.

So regardless of the OP wanting to have his child here and all the underlying what if this and that, if shes required to have an xray for visa.

Its a no go. She cant.

• Like 1

She will be on a tourist visa of course, so when that runs out, does that mean the kid can stay here and she goes back or the oppisite?

Even if she has a 6month visa and you get the legals done to have the child stay in Australia, you'd be crazy to separate a baby that young from their mother for any length of time!!

Also how long before the baby is due will she fly? Generally speaking she cant fly after she is 6-7 months pregnant. And then how long is the visa for once she arrives?

Based on what you typed your idea sounds nuts. Just have the baby born in Thailand.

Dont worry the dates and visas etc are taken care of.. just want to know if the thai's are feeding us bulllocks.. because after extensive googling i have found this information.

" In order for a child born in Australia to be a citizen on birth one of the parents must already be a citizen ."

Correct so why the urgency to get a pregnant girl friend back to Aussie land, relax you seem to want to control this situation.. best you do a paternity check to see if it is yours from the results you can apply your interests. For instant a pregnant lady may nor may not be your doing..trust the Thai lady is faithful..whistling.gif ...faithful in the fact most and nearly all Thai ladies have or are having affairs on the side, much like Thai and western men..me included. Remember YOU are not of the Thai culture and YOUR beliefs do not really apply in a Thai culture up-bringing..as for me I learned this...this maybe your first lesson. Good that you asked the question on ThaiVisa.com people here know more about Thai culture and experiences than I could every experience being here..20yrs.

Would much rather my child to be born and raised in australia... no offense or anything, but i know thai hospitals are good and all.. but the quality of life is way differnt in my side of town to Bangkok...

Where the child is born won't make any difference to it's rights or upbringing.

I wouldn't use the public hospitals but private Thai hospitals are first class.

Forget the waffle and if she has / can get a visa - can or cannot fly etc - if the dad is an Aussie and the child is born in Aust. (the childs birth MUST be registered) it can apply for an Aussie passport provided dad is listed as the father on the birth certificate.

hi i am from new zealand same rules as oz do what we did have the baby in thailand that way baby is thai frist oz second after baby born go to your embassy and get citizens ship by decent for your child very very easy to do. that way baby as two passport when baby is born go to register baby with your girl take your passport and they will put you on the birth certified you don't have to be marred i have two kids he in thailand both citizens of thailand and new zealand

• Like 1

I havnt read all the thread but heres what I think..

My wifes about to have our daughter here n Adelaide, Australia.

The best hospital in Thailand is easily outdone by our Aussie hospitals.My wife wanted to have our baby there but after speaking to a Thai interpreter that works at womens and childerens hospital here she soon changed her mind.

Your wife will be here on a tourist visa, her hospital bill will be in the thousands. Perhaps a thousand a day while staying there,ring the hospital here and ask.

So, having the bubs in LOS will be alot cheaper for you, you can go VIP in a hospital in LOS.

Other costs are perhaps 200 a visit to see midwife pre labor. So far up to 7 months without my wife having medicare(which she does now) have been maybe maybe 2grand. Not that much really.

Yes the baby can be born here, yes it can be Aussie regardless of where its born because of blood lines.

Im sure you are eligible for baby bonus also even if the bubs is born in LOS....check that out.

End of day, if you have the cash, then have it here.

Like I said be prepared for a 1000$ a day hospital bill here in AUS.

There is no way your wife will get medicare on tourist visa, I tried.

If you get married then get a bridging visa then medicares easy, we got it.

Good luck with bubs and anything else just ask me or PM me.

BTW each airline website has 'flying while pregnant rules' on their website.

1000$ a day hospital bill in AUS. What about the services of a midwife in Australia? In Canada, these services are available, for people who consider pregnancy as normal, rather than a condition that requires hospitalization...Way way lot cheaper.

The best hospital in Thailand is easily outdone by our Aussie hospitals.My wife wanted to have our baby there but after speaking to a Thai interpreter that works at womens and childerens hospital here she soon changed her mind.

Your wife will be here on a tourist visa, her hospital bill will be in the thousands. Perhaps a thousand a day while staying there,ring the hospital here and ask.

So, having the bubs in LOS will be alot cheaper for you, you can go VIP in a hospital in LOS.

Other costs are perhaps 200 a visit to see midwife pre labor. So far up to 7 months without my wife having medicare(which she does now) have been maybe maybe 2grand. Not that much really.

Yes the baby can be born here, yes it can be Aussie regardless of where its born because of blood lines.

Im sure you are eligible for baby bonus also even if the bubs is born in LOS....check that out.

Agree with Krisb 100% OP, if you have the money to pay for birthing in Aus (no medicare) go for it. It's your choice. If your missus is on a Tourist Visa and stuck in Aus due to pregnancy, she can apply for an extension/bridging visa in view of a partner visa. Congratulations and good luck for your new baby!

Why not just have the baby in Thailand where the hospital will be free?

As for nationality, some countries ask for a DNA test, but dual nationality usually no problem.

Come to Thailand, get married, then everything is easy.

Would much rather my child to be born and raised in australia... no offense or anything, but i know thai hospitals are good and all.. but the quality of life is way differnt in my side of town to Bangkok...

HMMM - Agree with birth in Thailand, but such things are hardly free. Even the Gold Card for the poor charges fees. Plus, the 'Free' Hospitals are often quite unkempt...

As for Hospitals in Australia being better then Thai hospitals - I wonder, because for appearance and service, Private hospitals here are better than many hospitals in the US. Doctor's credentials are another matter and that is just getting to know your Doctor (or Dentist), as the average westerner knows enough about medicine & anatomy to catch fakery.

If you read the OP's opener, it is his GF not his wife, which means different rules. They seem to be trying to get her to Aus then keep her there as they know that the baby and the mother cannot be parted, and the father will register the baby as Australian, thus circumnavigating the correct Immigration procedures.

HMMM...???

You speak as if you have never seen the best hospitals here in Thailand. In fact I am puzzled by your response.

Over the years, I was in a couple dozen US hospitals - some with outstanding reputations, yet, on average, private Thai hospitals are newer, cleaner, better staffed and cheaper.

The hospitals here have passed the necessary inspections that they are considered alternates for US hospitals and are so much cheaper, that patients are often referred here for an operation...

If you read the OP's opener, it is his GF not his wife, which means different rules. They seem to be trying to get her to Aus then keep her there as they know that the baby and the mother cannot be parted, and the father will register the baby as Australian, thus circumnavigating the correct Immigration procedures.

HMMM...???

You speak as if you have never seen the best hospitals here in Thailand. In fact I am puzzled by your response.

Over the years, I was in a couple dozen US hospitals - some with outstanding reputations, yet, on average, private Thai hospitals are newer, cleaner, better staffed and cheaper.

The hospitals here have passed the necessary inspections that they are considered alternates for US hospitals and are so much cheaper, that patients are often referred here for an operation...

Sorry but our Aussie hospitals are easily as good as any in Thailand if not better. Thats coming from a Thai lady that works at my wifes hospital here in Australia. Perhaps plastic and reconstructive surgeons are better but thats because of plenty of practice with motorbike accidents and the likes.

If my wife couldnt get medicare here, we would have the bubs in Thailand. It would be so expensive to pay as you go I couldnt afford it nor could wife.

HMMM...???

Ive never been to the US but Id dare say the hospitals in USA are better than Thailands also?

You speak as you have stayed in hospitals in Australia?....also why would the US call Thai hospitals alterates for their own hospitals?

Australia would never, and if anything would advise staying clear. Is it because you guys dont get free medical in the states?

Edited by krisb

HMMM - Agree with birth in Thailand, but such things are hardly free. Even the Gold Card for the poor charges fees. Plus, the 'Free' Hospitals are often quite unkempt...

As for Hospitals in Australia being better then Thai hospitals - I wonder, because for appearance and service, Private hospitals here are better than many hospitals in the US. Doctor's credentials are another matter and that is just getting to know your Doctor (or Dentist), as the average westerner knows enough about medicine & anatomy to catch fakery.

We had a baby in Thailand last year in a government hospital.

Total cost 3,500bht, included the price for blood tests for me (foreigner), vitamins (optional) for her, and 3 nights in a private room (most of the charge). Scans and tests every month for her while pregnant, monthly tests for baby and vaccinations still going on one year later. Couldn't fault the entire process.

It doesn't get much more free than that.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1