Mri Scans In Bangkok?

whooliggen

Cost of an MRI scan depends on how much area you need to have looked at.

You'd need a physician referral to have it done.

Cost of the scan would depend on how much area is scanned.

I had a scan done of the verterbrae in my neck about 3 years ago. The physician ordering the scan was a neurologist at Bumrungrad Hospital. Bum Hosp has an MIR scanner, but it was tied up at the time, so I was sent to Prachachuen MR Imaging Center in the Chatuchak District. The quality was great and I asked for 2 copies of the film. Total cost for the prints which included the Radiologist's Report was equal to around US $188. It may be a bit mre now. The quality and service was excellent in my opinion.

Thanks AmeriThai!

I actually need a brain MRI scan and have a physician referral..I have tried to find a contact online for the Prachachuen MR Imaging Center but can only find info in Thai..Do you have a contact number for them?

So far, I have been quoted 10,900 at Bangkok Hospital & 13,500 at Bumrungrad..

Cheers again,

W.

I know there was a deal to get a new scanner and that more patients were going to them because of low cost, etc., so it's possible they've moved to a larger facility. I don't know if they're closed on Sundays or not, or if the phone lines are down. If you don't get through to them within a day or so, call your physician for contct information. Or could call BKK Hosp or Bum Hosp for the info.

I also know they would close for a couple of hours for lunch.

Edited by AmeriThai

Scans Vs. MRI

Computer Tomography (CT) Scans and MRIs are different and if you go for a scan the 64 slice may be what you want and the 8 slice sounds next to worthless. Here is an excerpt on the topic from The Grand Showdown: Computed Tomography vs. Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Who Will Go The Distance?

Round One to MRI, then. However, CT is currently staging a counter attack with the arrival of 64 slice CT, despite health care payor misgivings about a reimbursement rate that reflects the clinical capabilities of this technology. 16 slice CT is seen as being the bare minimum requirement to enable the modality to be used in cardiac applications, an area in which MRI has long been seen to be superior. With the advent of 64 slice CT, however, cardiac CT is now seen as a very viable means of examining the heart. The major industry players are currently competing at the very high end of CT, with one vendor offering a system that can capture the heart in 5 beats. Its image acquisition speed set to make the imaging of sick patients who have difficulty holding their breath for longer periods more feasible than the slower MRI procedure. If the reimbursement climate in Europe is to ever prove welcoming, new installed base will be created by the cardiology community as they begin to choose multi-slice CT ahead of high-field MRI, for its superior speed and, crucially, the fact that it requires less capital than MRI. This will again lift CT growth and give it the impetus to leave the replacement phase behind.

MRI is a long way from throwing in the towel, however. When this analyst has quizzed MRI product managers on this, he has on occasion been greeted with scoffing and the response that MRI will soon categorically trump CT with improved image quality and ever faster scan times.

Thanks AmeriThai!

I actually need a brain MRI scan and have a physician referral..I have tried to find a contact online for the Prachachuen MR Imaging Center but can only find info in Thai..Do you have a contact number for them?

Cheers again,

W.

That seems a bit expensive. I know that costs vary from place to place and I don't really know how they go in BKK. However, I do know that the Christian hospital (St Mary's?) in Korat charges between 5,000 and 6,000. In case you have any doubts, it's a superb hospital. If you can't do better in BKK it might be worth the 1500 baht for a taxi to take a day trip over there.

Good luck with the results, wherever you go.

Thanks AmeriThai!

Cheers again,

W.

That seems a bit expensive. I know that costs vary from place to place and I don't really know how they go in BKK. However, I do know that the Christian hospital (St Mary's?) in Korat charges between 5,000 and 6,000. In case you have any doubts, it's a superb hospital. If you can't do better in BKK it might be worth the 1500 baht for a taxi to take a day trip over there.

I agree, it sounds a bit expensive. Mine ran around 7500 baht at Prachachuen MR Imaging Center which included an extra set of the film. I don't remember what the quote at Bum Hosp was, but I do remember it was considerably higher. I wouldn't doubt prices are much lower up cpuntry. Many things tend to be more expensive in BKK.

Edited by AmeriThai

MRI? CT? Which is Better?

Here’s a little bit of info for those who might not really understand the differences between MRI and CT scans. While both continue to develop with greater improvements, it’s not a contest between the two instruments. As clinical tools, there are strong advantages and disadvantages to both.

Unlike CT, MRI does not use radiation. Instead, MRI creates high-quality images through the combination of a magnetic field and radio waves. MRI is much more sensitive to the imaging of the soft tissues of the body than CT.

http://www.roseradiology.com/faq.htm

CT (computed axial tomography) uses X-rays to see structures inside the body. These X-rays are aimed at a particular area of your body and the ones that pass through your body are received on a detector. A computer then analyzes this data and "builds" a picture of what is inside.

MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) takes advantage of the natural magnetic properties of the tissues in your body. The machine is a strong magnet that sends radio waves through the body. The magnetic tissues in the body then send a faint radio signal back. The receiver collects all those signals and the computer builds a picture of what is inside. MRI is not used for screening, only for diagnostic use.

http://www.suburbanhospital.org/askthedoc/...he_doc0602.html

Clinically speaking, there are some rules-of-thumb to consider while making this decision. CT is the modality of choice if the expected lesion is small, located in the cortical bone (hard outer shell), or if the location of the lesion within the body needs to be known very accurately. Some physicians may still prefer CT for most exams of the abdomen.

MRI is the clear leader in the brain and spinal visualization. It is usually preferred for trabecular bone (porous center) lesions, for visualizing the soft tissues of joints, and in cases where radiation may be a concern.

In summary, both modalities are good diagnostic choices for nearly any body part. MRI has the edge for brain and spine imaging and CT is often chosen for abdominal questions, especially the liver.

http://www.geocities.com/string_au/mrict.htm

Since the OP indicated he needed an MRI for his brain and has a physician's referral, it would appear the MRI is the best choice made by the physician. The patient's physician should also be able to make the appointment where it's decided to have it done.

Cheers for that! Not something I had considered, but most definitely something I will now look into!

Thanks,

W. :o

Thanks AmeriThai!

Cheers again,

W.

There is MRI in Korat, but St Mary has no MRI.

• 3 years later...

Thanks AmeriThai!

Cheers again,

W.

So what Hospital in Khorat have the MRI for a cheap price then ?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks AmeriThai!

Cheers again,

W.

So what Hospital in Khorat have the MRI for a cheap price then ?

try the military hospital Fort Suranaree

Damaged my back in a sports accident. I was referred for an MRI by a Dr. at Bumrungrad. It cost about B14000 for the lower half of my back.

As expected at Bumrungrad, everything was very smooth, little waiting etc

Looking at the costs that other people have posted I guess Bumrungrad was expensive. The experience met all expectations of a quality private hospital.