Law Firm - Criminal Law (Recommendation Please)

geriatrickid

I received a panic request from an aquaintance to help locate a competent law firm and/or lawyer in Phuket for one of his friends.

This is a non violent narcotics offense with the Thai accused having been found in the same room as an accused trafficer. The trafficer pointed the finger at the person in question and I assume this was an attempt to save his own skin.

The accused has been offered a deal by the local police that they can resolve the matter for a payment or else he will disappear in the Phuket prison. He has been held for about a week with no court appearance.

I am not here to judge or discuss the merits of the case. All I want is a recommendation of possible law firms. Unfortunately, I only have knowledge of the international law firms that focus on business transactions and related matters. These law firms charge high rates and are not going to be affordable to the accused who is Thai and paid a Thai salary.

Thank you

(And please, this is not a discussion about drug trafficing, but is only an attempt to provide information to a third party to allow a proper legal response. I looked through the forums already and my searches came back with nothing.)

usually the police is very understanding and they give you a price what it would cost, the longer he stay the higher price he need to pay..

the more people you start to involve = price goes up..

Does the OP know the payment figure that the police are looking for now, i'd be interested to know so we can judge the difference regarding Thai and farang pay off payments wai.gif

usually the police is very understanding and they give you a price what it would cost, the longer he stay the higher price he need to pay..

the more people you start to involve = price goes up..

Does the OP know the payment figure that the police are looking for now, i'd be interested to know so we can judge the difference regarding Thai and farang pay off payments wai.gif

The initial quote was 200,000 baht.

I was aghast. No charges, no respect for the 48 hour requirement to appear before a judge. I do not have the full facts, nor do I wish to become implicated, as I have a professional reputation and cannot be even remotely associated with anything related to criminal activity.

I have a hunch that there was an assumption that because the involved party has a mid level professional position, lives in a decent home,has a clean record and stands to lose his job, that there was an attempt to exploit the situation. One forum member was kind enough to forward the name of a lawyer which I passed along. I have seen alot of crazy sh*t in Patong and have insulated myself from it, but this event has left me shaken as it really is one of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and a person being more stupid than criminal. In this case, being associated with someone involved with drugs has brought the implicated person a career ending and life destroying situation. It is very sad, and given me a real time education.