Need Help With Connecting A 3Bb Internet Modem/router Directly To A Wireless Router Via Bridge Mode

luwahn

@DORK

Sorry i get what you mean the old modem will not do anything that needs computing power. Did not realise that was how a bridge worked. I never worked with a setup like that.

Yes exactly. The problem that often come up with ADSL routers is that like any computing device, their resources (CPU, memory) can be temporarily overwhelmed and even though they recover, in that short period they can drop the ADSL sync and will take some time to sync again. When you use bridge mode with the ADSL modem isolated, this doesn't happen.

Having said that, it could well be that a recent, relatively high powered device like your ASUS has enough resources to overcome this problem. I've never tried one so I don't know.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@DORK

Sorry i get what you mean the old modem will not do anything that needs computing power. Did not realise that was how a bridge worked. I never worked with a setup like that.

Yes exactly. The problem that often come up with ADSL routers is that like any computing device, their resources (CPU, memory) can be temporarily overwhelmed and even though they recover, in that short period they can drop the ADSL sync and will take some time to sync again. When you use bridge mode with the ADSL modem isolated, this doesn't happen.

Having said that, it could well be that a recent, relatively high powered device like your ASUS has enough resources to overcome this problem. I've never tried one so I don't know.

Its the first for me too, i have been using supplied adsl modems here in Thailand ever since i came here. Back home i used linksys but that is 7 years ago. But the billion router started acting up so i replaced it. I am dependent on internet for work. So i needed something good. Must say besides the fact that i had to upgrade firmware to get it to work (expected out of the box to work) It has been clear sailing for me.

I get a much stronger wireless signal in the house that is nice. All my normal computers and NAS devices are connected by cable (still prefer that especially for large file transfers). Nice it is a gigabit router works better for the NAS.

Excuse my inexperience: 1) Is the modem's IP address that is to be changed is the address in the WAN mode - not the 'LAN' mode? 2) The attached pic shows the 'Bridge Mode' and the 'Static IP Address' values that I selected and set. Are these values acceptable? Does it matter if the 'Default Route' option is enabled or disabled?

This thread is getting very confused and I'm not sure if this has been addressed or not, but the modem must NOT be set to have that static address. This relates to the external IP address allocated to you by your ISP and with the bog-standard 3BB ADSL package that you appear to have you will not be given a fixed one of these. Fixed IP is for expensive packages for business use.

Your IP and submask and DNS settings will be dynamic. You must set the boxes in that group to "assigned automatically" and empty all the IP addresses in them.

Note that this relates SOLELY to the external IP allocated by your ISP.

Excuse my inexperience: 1) Is the modem's IP address that is to be changed is the address in the WAN mode - not the 'LAN' mode? 2) The attached pic shows the 'Bridge Mode' and the 'Static IP Address' values that I selected and set. Are these values acceptable? Does it matter if the 'Default Route' option is enabled or disabled?

This thread is getting very confused and I'm not sure if this has been addressed or not, but the modem must NOT be set to have that static address. This relates to the external IP address allocated to you by your ISP and with the bog-standard 3BB ADSL package that you appear to have you will not be given a fixed one of these. Fixed IP is for expensive packages for business use.

Your IP and submask and DNS settings will be dynamic. You must set the boxes in that group to "assigned automatically" and empty all the IP addresses in them.

Yes it's getting confused but this advice is not quite right either.

Once bridge mode is selected in the Huawei and that is saved (or applied) all those fields about WAN IP, DNS etc will go away because they are no longer relevant. At this stage the Huawei is not a TCP/IP device so there are no TCP/IP settings with the single exception of LAN IP address which is solely for configuration.

I strongly suspect that the screenshot showing the login fields was taken before the change to bridge mode was applied.

Edited by Dork

Once bridge mode is selected in the Huawei and that is saved (or applied) all those fields about WAN IP, DNS etc will go away because they are no longer relevant. At this stage the Huawei is not a TCP/IP device so there are no TCP/IP settings with the single exception of LAN IP address which is solely for configuration.

I strongly suspect that the screenshot showing the login fields was taken before the change to bridge mode was applied.

That is indeed what I suspect also, but who knows?

Either way, the screenshot clearly shows fixed IP settings that are wrong and, as such, my comments are a valid response to the OP's question as to whether the settings are correct or not. They aren't.

Having fixed IP settings like that will stop the internet connection from working unless he actually does have a fixed IP, which I doubt.

From reading your posts I think there are a few basics you need to understand first.

In bridged mode, the Huawei will become a simple ADSL modem and will no longer have any router functionality at all. In fact the ASUS and Huawei don't even use TCP/IP to communicate with each other. So IP addresses and login info etc on the Huawei are irrelevant. The only reason that the Huawei even has an IP address is for initial configuration via a web browser.

So if you just follow the instructions I gave you earlier about changing the LAN IP address to something outside the range of the ASUS and then put it in bridge mode (with correct VPI/VCI etc) that's it. You've finished with the Huawei.

When you see the solid green light on the Huawei (in bridged mode), that's how it should be. It means that the ADSL modem is properly connected to the telephone line and has negotiated an ADSL sync with the 3BB DSLAM.

It is the ASUS router that will handle PPPOE and username/password because it is actually the ASUS making the internet connection, not the Huawei. I don't think you can use a setup wizard to handle the internet connection for you when in bridge mode but it is pretty easy to do manually. In another post there are some screenshots showing the router setup with DD-WRT. The equivalent ASUS page will be similar. If not sure, post a screenshot of that page here.

I have been unsuccessfully using various combinations of settings trying to get this connection to work. Today I had to run some errands. While I was out, my nephew somehow (and w/o writing in a new IP address) was able to get this Asus wireless router, model RT-N66U, to detect the 3BB modem...the attached pic below!! But after that, he went on to flash the wireless modem with DD-wrt and now, we're back to where we started because the Asus wireless router is no longer detecting the 3BB router!!! Arrrgggg!!! If he hadn't captured a pic of the Asus setup window, I would have thought he was playing a cruel joke on me! On top of that, he didn't record the settings that made the connection, though he insists 'it was only a minor basic' setting or two that he changed.....

In the meantime, I have learned that this is a 'finicky' router and that other wireless Asus owners wit this model were having the same connection problems with various modem/router models and with various 'customized' firmware installed! (It reminds me of those last Abit AV8 - Socket 939 motherboards and how they were very picky about the model PSU that could be used on them). Anyway, these guys seem to conclude that it's the inability of the (non-connecting 'Bridge') modem/routers firmware to work with this Asus wireless router that is the culprit.

I'm going to keep at it but in the meantime, I'm going to do the 'Robblok' solution and get the Asus DSL- N55U wireless and have it replace the 3BB modem and then try to compare it's 'stand-alone' performance with that of the Asus RT-N66U - if the Asus DSL- N55U connects to it in 'Bridge Mode'.

I am a relative newbie in Networks though my overall experience in working on and putting together desktop computers and their components go back awhile and is similar to that of Robbloks. The last two or three 'Router' threads were very educational as is yours and Dork's last two postings explaining 'Bridge Mode' and 'IP Address' modes! Trust me, this is like Networking 101, 201 and 301 to the many who are 'Network-clueless' and have yet to read these threads.

post-28226-0-52025500-1351093438_thumb.j

I tried my same connection again, but in router mode. The wireless router still could not detect the 3BB modem/router or my laptop, thus, the internet connection wasn't able to 'come through' onto my computer (even though the 3BB modem/router indicated that it was sending a signal via its 'Routing' mode).

I can't get the wireless router to 'detect' anything - maybe it's the problem!?? It's the latest power packed N900 Asus model but, though I don't like to, I may have to do as 'Robblok' did in a previous router thread and exchange this router model for the 'pretty good' performing - but not as good - Asus DSL - N55U that has a R-11 jack port so that I can make the wireless connection painlessly and without this 3BB modem/router.

Despite, this, if I could know that this Asus (non-ASDL) wireless router I presently have is in good working order, I would prefer to find the fix and run this wireless router with the 3BB modem/router.

The Asus router is probably a much better routing device than the 3BB modem and so I would prefer to do it the other way around, assuming that the OP has access to the 3BB modem configuration which may be needed.

I would put the modem in bridge mode with it's DHCP server turned off and leave the Asus doing all the routing work and DHCP. The OP would also need to program the Asus with the 3BB internet login codes in order for the PPPoE connection to work, and possibly to tell the Asus to use the modem as the gateway. That said, many routers will work this out for themselves as long as the modem is connected to the WAN port, with no need to turn off the modem DHCP or program the codes into the router for PPPoE.

This way also has the advantage that no special configuration of PCs etc is needed: all connected devices will work perfectly via DHCP default settings from the Asus, and the local network will continue to function perfectly even if the modem is removed or turned off.

So it does rather depend on the capabilities of the modem and the router.

Thanks! I am working to see if this solution works and will post back.

As you mentioned me and said my router is inferior i feel deeply offended.biggrin.png

Just a remark, by using your old 3bb router that is surely inferior aren't you negating any benefits you get from your better router ? (i mean the 3bb router is a cheap router).

By getting the same router as i have (and updating it) you would have no problems and wireless.

Just a thought, otherwise i hope you solve it.

I was wondering how long it would take for you to reply ... Don't feel bad...'Offense' is not in my vocabulary (unless we're talking about property construction...) I was referring to the glaring '(on paper) specification inequalities' between these two routers. coffee1.gif

The RT-N66U is(was?) supposed to be like a BMW or Porsche while by comparison - better chip, faster CPU speed, twice the RAM and 2 to 4(?) times the flash memory - I would rate the DSL-N55U a nice Buick. But as it often happens, the realities of the real world have the tables turned: I'm still trying to tweak my '66' router to connect while you're merrily cruising along on the internet with your '55' router!

See my resolution above .... (if you can't beat 'em, [literally] 'join' them [together])!

Which model is that Asus router?

The Asus RT-N66U...

Edited by luwahn

That is indeed what I suspect also, but who knows?

Either way, the screenshot clearly shows fixed IP settings that are wrong and, as such, my comments are a valid response to the OP's question as to whether the settings are correct or not. They aren't.

Having fixed IP settings like that will stop the internet connection from working unless he actually does have a fixed IP, which I doubt.

You're correct! In between these posts, I had been trying several settings while trying to get my wireless Asus to detect the 'Bridged' 3BB modem. I started to record screenshots of the settings 'just before' enacting them.

@luwahn

I am not offended at all, i put a big emoticon with a smile after it. Was just a joke. I still hope you get it to work.

I know it was all joking - my reply was also meant to be a joking response to your jest. Hope to have the Asus DSL-'55' router next week!

Please post the Asus screens as well. If you didn't solve the issue in the meantime, I'll look at it after this evening.

Sorry for the delayed response, I just returned from (the all-day drive) taking my now 'infamous' nephew back home!

This is my first router and I don't know how to access the Asus screens (other than through an established internet connection - which I haven't been able to do with this bridged ASDL modem).

If there is another way to get to the Asus screens, will you tell me how to make the connections to do so?

Thanks! wai2.gif

Edited by luwahn

i meant the screenshots of your current asus router configuration.

That's the problem: I don't know how to gain access to this since the Asus wireless setup screen presently responds 'no devices detected', There is a 'discovery' program that I tried but with no internet connection, it only allows me to click on the 'Search' tab. I attached a pic of what it displays after I clicked the Discovery 'Search' tab.

post-28226-0-20497700-1351174071_thumb.j

Edited by luwahn

That's the problem: I don't know how to gain access to this since the Asus wireless setup screen presently responds 'no devices detected', There is a 'discovery' program that I tried but with no internet connection, it only allows me to click on the 'Search' tab. I attached a pic of what it displays after I clicked the Discovery 'Search' tab.

i'm confused by your post, can't you just connect via ethernet and access all configuration menus?

i'm confused by your post, can't you just connect via ethernet and access all configuration menus?

Ah - ha!! The situation is that my internet line is a RJ-11, telephone jack line (ADSL) that requires ADSL modems. These ADSL modems have an intake port that accepts the RJ-11 internet (telephone-type) line and also an Ethernet port (output) port that connects to other devices.

It's when I connect the Ethernet wire from the 3BB ADSL modem to the Asus wireless router (plus an Ethernet wire from my laptop to the Asus wireless router) that I get the 'No can detect device', etc. display from the wireless router.

Am I doing something wrong in these connections?

Edited by luwahn

for some reason i cant see pictures 2 and 3.

anyway, connect your computer directly to one of the 4 ethernet ports of the asus, keep the huawei completely out of your network.

type 192.168.1.1 in your broswer, use admin/admin as username/password.

go to LAN in the advanced settings on the left panel and then chose the "LAN IP" tab. there's no screenshot in the manual but i guess here you can set the ip of the asus, chose 192.168.2.1. then go to the DHCP Server tab and make sure start/end IP of the pool are OK (192.168.2.something)

now wire everything like my former screenshot and you should be able to connect to the asus via 192.168.2.1 and set up the wan connection. *before* that, make sure you huawei modem is really in bridge mode, it should look like my screenshots.

anyway, just connect directly to the asus first, keep the huawei out. i guess they're both on the same subnet which is causing confusion.

We are getting closer!!

Your diagram is Right-on! But first of all, we are not on the same page on one important fact:

Your diagram illustrates exactly how I have been connecting the devices pictured there. But the 'modem' pictured with the 3BB internet line is the (3BB supplied) Huawei (ASDL) modem that I must use in order to make a connection (via 'Bridge Mode') with the 3BB internet line to my Asus wireless router which is exactly like the one pictured at the top of the diagram. I have been using the 'yellow' #3 WAN Ethernet line per your diagram in all of my connections.

So, I entered all the values you listed and we are getting closer because it took the Asus Setup Detection program must longer to 'reject' the connection with these values! thumbsup.gif

I attached the three relevant pics: The DHCP menu set some WAN Primary and Secondary Server values that were not included in your DHCP menu.

Could that be the culprit?

post-28226-0-20048300-1351182492_thumb.j

post-28226-0-49346300-1351182532_thumb.j

post-28226-0-29583300-1351182547_thumb.j

Edited by luwahn

for some reason i cant see pictures 2 and 3 .... make sure your huawei modem is really in bridge mode, it should look like my screenshots.

I finally got all of your screen shot settings to load - but the Asus wireless still didn't detect the modem. I had to reset the modem twice just to get it to display the WAN settings as you had them (w/o the DNS server values). I was up until past 1 o'clock this morning trying to find a minor variation of your settings that the wireless Asus would accept - all to no avail! sad.png ... and then the modem connection would not reset...I just got it back after a morning call to 3BB customer service.

...anyway, connect your computer directly to one of the 4 ethernet ports of the asus, keep the huawei completely out of your network.

type 192.168.1.1 in your broswer, use admin/admin as username/password.

go to LAN in the advanced settings on the left panel and then chose the "LAN IP" tab. there's no screenshot in the manual but i guess here you can set the ip of the asus, chose 192.168.2.1. then go to the DHCP Server tab and make sure start/end IP of the pool are OK (192.168.2.something)

now wire everything like my former screenshot and you should be able to connect to the asus via 192.168.2.1 and set up the wan connection. *before* that, make sure your huawei modem is really in bridge mode, it should look like my screenshots.

Here is where you lost me: 'Connect your computer directly to one of the 4 ethernet ports of the asus, keep the huawei completely out of your network. Type 192.168.1.1 in your broswer, use admin/admin as username/password'.

The 1st attached pic is the result of my following those instructions...because I have to remove the Ethernet wire that connects the computer to the (Huawei) modem (which has the 3BB internet line) in order to connect an Ethernet wire from the computer to the wireless router as you asked me to do. Connecting the way you asked does have the computer connected to the wireless router (via Ethernet wire) but w/o an internet connection.

The Huawei is the modem with the red 3BB line connection in the your configuration diagram. My current setup consist only of the modem ('modem w/ red 3BB line' in your diagram plus attached pic #2) connected to my laptop - no LAN or WAN.

post-28226-0-24653000-1351235068_thumb.j

post-28226-0-99416500-1351235078_thumb.j

luwahn, i understand your setup and what you are trying to do, don't worry smile.png

1/ first step (which is a *temporary* setup) - you need: your PC, one ethernet cable, your ASUS router and nothing else.

connect your PC directly to the ASUS via ethernet, not in the WAN port, in one of the 4 ethernet ports available.

1.1/ your PC should be configured to get an IP address automatically, it is the default behavior on windows. If you changed that, go back to default.

1.2/ Plug the PC using the ethernet cable into the ASUS router.

1.3/ Your PC should be assigned an IP address automatically

1.4/ open a web browser and type in the url bar: 192.168.1.1

a username and password will be needed, defaults are admin/admin

1.5/ you should now be able to access the configuration interface of the ASUS, look at the left panel, there is an "advanced settings" section, click on LAN.

1.6/ once the page has been loaded, look on the top of the interface, there should be a LAN IP tab, click it.

1.7/ in this tab, you should be able to give an IP address to your ASUS router, write this: 192.168.2.1

1.8/ check whether you have to save your settings before leaving this page.

1.9/ once this setting has taken effect, you may get disconnected, go back to 1.4/ and type 192.168.2.1 instead. it is normal as you just give a new address to the router.

2/ second step (which is a *temporary* setup) - you need: your PC, one ethernet cable, your HUAWEI modem/router and nothing else.

2.1/ Plug the PC using the ethernet cable into the HUAWEI modem/router.

2.2/ Your PC should be assigned an IP address automatically

2.3/ open a web browser and type in the url bar: 192.168.1.1, login as usual

2.4/ make sure everyhting looks like my yesterday's screenshots (post #46)

2.5/ save and log out

3/ third and last step, your final setup

3.1/ wire everything like shown in my post #49

3.2/ open a web browser and type in the url bar: 192.168.2.1, you should now see the ASUS web configuration interface, login as before.

3.3/ setup WAN with the information you've been given by 3BB, there may be some assisted setup who automagically does most of the things for you, see the router manual for that.

3.4/ setup wireless with WPA2 and a strong ASCII password like you can find here: https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

3.5/ enjoy the internets

4/ if you can get this to work, i want a vBeer smile.png

5/ i will not proof read this post, just pray i didn't make any crucial typo. tongue.png

luwahn, i understand your setup and what you are trying to do, don't worry smile.png

1/ first step (which is a *temporary* setup) - you need: your PC, one ethernet cable, your ASUS router and nothing else.

connect your PC directly to the ASUS via ethernet, not in the WAN port, in one of the 4 ethernet ports available.

1.1/ your PC should be configured to get an IP address automatically, it is the default behavior on windows. If you changed that, go back to default.

1.2/ Plug the PC using the ethernet cable into the ASUS router.

1.3/ Your PC should be assigned an IP address automatically

1.4/ open a web browser and type in the url bar: 192.168.1.1

a username and password will be needed, defaults are admin/admin

1.5/ you should now be able to access the configuration interface of the ASUS, look at the left panel, there is an "advanced settings" section, click on LAN.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4/ if you can get this to work, i want a vBeer smile.png

5/ i will not proof read this post, just pray i didn't make any crucial typo. tongue.png

I'm glad you know what to do because I am stuck here at #1.5 of your instructions. The first attached pic is what is displayed on the screen when I type 192.168.1.1 in the web browser. The second attached pic is to display my windows configuration.

Though my computer is set to automatically obtain IP addresses and is connected to the Asus wireless router, with no internet connection, I don't understand how I am supposed to be able to access the web browser....through the wireless router?

If we can get to step #3.5 you deserve to be put on the 'Board' of the beer company of your choice!

post-28226-0-66438900-1351260518_thumb.j

post-28226-0-58391300-1351260550_thumb.j

untick the "use automatic configuration script"

I don't understand how I am supposed to be able to access the web browser

your browser on your PC will open the ASUS configuration interface that is running on your router, like you did with the huawei

untick the "use automatic configuration script"

I don't understand how I am supposed to be able to access the web browser

your browser on your PC will open the ASUS configuration interface that is running on your router, like you did with the huawei

OK, I will untick the "use automatic configuration script". (It was unticked, but I 'ticked' it when I couldn't get the browser the first time).

My internet connection is something like the picture in #55: the 3BB internet line connects to the RJ-11 jack of the modem, but instead of 4 ports, this Huawei modem has a single Ethernet port that connects to my computer's Ethernet port to receive the internet signal. So, in order to connect to the Asus wireless via Ethernet wire, I have to first detach from my computer, the Ethernet wire coming from the Huawei (3BB internet) modem.

Or are you saying an internet connection isn't needed to open the wireless router's configuration interface? If that's the case, then there is the possibility of a problem with the router?

Edited by luwahn