Need Help With Connecting A 3Bb Internet Modem/router Directly To A Wireless Router Via Bridge Mode

luwahn

After following the two recent 'Router' threads in this forum, I tried to connect my 3BB internet modem/router directly to a new, non-ADSL, Asus wireless router by switching from 'Routing' to 'Bridge Mode' in the menu of the model Huawei MT-880 modem/router supplied by 3BB. Connections are per attached photo.

Besides turning on 'Bridge Mode' in the menu of the 3BB modem/router, I also turned on the 'Obtain IP address automatically' box in the 3BB router menu and in my computer's Win 7 'Internet connections' box. Also in Win 7, I disabled 'Dial up', 'Proxy Server', the 'Firewall' and the 'Anti Virus'.

With the above settings activated, when I attempt the connection, my Win 7 internet icon indicates there is no internet connection - the 'ADSL link' light of the 3BB modem/router remains a solid 'Green' instead of the preferable 'Orange' color that indicates an internet connection - thus, I am not connected to the internet, can not see the router's menu, and the wireless router doesn't 'detect' the 3BB modem/router.

The Win 7 trouble shooter says that the problem is that there is 'no IP address' and that the router - modem has an IP address conflict.

Besides setting the 3BB modem/router to 'Bridge Mode', are there any other specific settings needed to connect directly to a non-ASDL wireless router?

The 3BB technicians don't have a clue.......

post-28226-0-09331000-1350911924_thumb.j

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

don't 3BB modem/router come with wireless already installed.

I have a 3BB modem with wireless

no extra router needed

I wish!!

The attached pic is of my 3BB modem/router - please tell me your 3BB wireless modem looks like this? rolleyes.gif

post-28226-0-58480900-1350917112_thumb.j

You don't want bridged mode, you'll still need to be in routing mode. Your 3BB modem should be a DHCP "server" giving out IP addresses. You can verify by plugging your laptop into it and see what address you get. Your wifi router should be setup to accept DHCP IP.

here's my guess: Laptop --> 192.168.1.x --> (192.168.1.1-wifi router) --> 192.168.1.x --> (192.168.1.1-3BB modem) --> ISP. What your problem is the 3BB modem and the wifi router are trying to issue the same 192.168.1.x network addresses.

What you need to do, if you can't get into the 3BB to change the network, is go into the wifi router and set the DHCP server to 192.168.2.x network (255.255.255.0 netmask). Then your laptop should pick up a 192.168.2.x ipaddress and all will be fine, unless there are some rules preventing traffic. Worse case, you should be able to set static IP addresses on the wifi and laptop.

The ending network should look like:

Laptop --> 192.168.2.x --> (192.168.2.1-wifi router) --> 192.168.1.x --> (192.168.1.1-3BB router) --> ISP.

• Like 1

my 3BB wireless modem looks nothing like that

I'm not surprised because this thing (the 3BB modem/router I have) isn't wireless.

You're lucky to have a wireless one and especially if it is a good performing router! thumbsup.gif

You don't want bridged mode, you'll still need to be in routing mode. Your 3BB modem should be a DHCP "server" giving out IP addresses. You can verify by plugging your laptop into it and see what address you get. Your wifi router should be setup to accept DHCP IP.

here's my guess: Laptop --> 192.168.1.x --> (192.168.1.1-wifi router) --> 192.168.1.x --> (192.168.1.1-3BB modem) --> ISP. What your problem is the 3BB modem and the wifi router are trying to issue the same 192.168.1.x network addresses.

What you need to do, if you can't get into the 3BB to change the network, is go into the wifi router and set the DHCP server to 192.168.2.x network (255.255.255.0 netmask). Then your laptop should pick up a 192.168.2.x ipaddress and all will be fine, unless there are some rules preventing traffic. Worse case, you should be able to set static IP addresses on the wifi and laptop.

Laptop --> 192.168.2.x --> (192.168.2.1-wifi router) --> 192.168.1.x --> (192.168.1.1-3BB router) --> ISP.

The Asus router is probably a much better routing device than the 3BB modem and so I would prefer to do it the other way around, assuming that the OP has access to the 3BB modem configuration which may be needed.

I would put the modem in bridge mode with it's DHCP server turned off and leave the Asus doing all the routing work and DHCP. The OP would also need to programme the Asus with the 3BB internet login codes in order for the PPPoE connection to work, and possibly to tell the Asus to use the modem as the gateway. That said, many routers will work this out for themselves as long as the modem is connected to the WAN port, with no need to turn off the modem DHCP or programme the codes into the router for PPPoE.

This way also has the advantage that no special configuration of PCs etc is needed: all connected devices will work perfectly via DHCP default settings from the Asus, and the local network will continue to function perfectly even if the modem is removed or turned off.

So it does rather depend on the capabilities of the modem and the router.

• Like 1

Thanx for this!

I tried my same connection again, but in router mode. The wireless router still could not detect the 3BB modem/router or my laptop, thus, the internet connection wasn't able to 'come through' onto my computer (even though the 3BB modem/router indicated that it was sending a signal via its 'Routing' mode).

I can't get the wireless router to 'detect' anything - maybe it's the problem!?? It's the latest power packed N900 Asus model but, though I don't like to, I may have to do as 'Robblok' did in a previous router thread and exchange this router model for the 'pretty good' performing - but not as good - Asus DSL - N55U that has a R-11 jack port so that I can make the wireless connection painlessly and without this 3BB modem/router.

Despite, this, if I could know that this Asus (non-ASDL) wireless router I presently have is in good working order, I would prefer to find the fix and run this wireless router with the 3BB modem/router.

The Asus router is probably a much better routing device than the 3BB modem and so I would prefer to do it the other way around, assuming that the OP has access to the 3BB modem configuration which may be needed.

I would put the modem in bridge mode with it's DHCP server turned off and leave the Asus doing all the routing work and DHCP. The OP would also need to program the Asus with the 3BB internet login codes in order for the PPPoE connection to work, and possibly to tell the Asus to use the modem as the gateway. That said, many routers will work this out for themselves as long as the modem is connected to the WAN port, with no need to turn off the modem DHCP or program the codes into the router for PPPoE.

This way also has the advantage that no special configuration of PCs etc is needed: all connected devices will work perfectly via DHCP default settings from the Asus, and the local network will continue to function perfectly even if the modem is removed or turned off.

Thanks! I am working to see if this solution works and will post back.

Edited by luwahn

One important step in setting up a bridged modem is to make sure you have the ADSL modem's IP address set to a different subnet than the router. If you are going to use the default IP of 192.168.1.1 for the ASUS then set the Huawei to a fixed IP of (for example) 192.168.2.1

If you have been trying various settings with the Huawei it might be a good idea to give it a factory reset first. Then log in and change the IP (to 192.168.2.1), turn off DHCP (might not be necessary but doesn't hurt anyway) then do the WAN settings as per this screenshot.

post-50983-0-56680600-1350968018_thumb.p

Make sure you have saved the Huawei configuration. Now put a network cable between the WAN port on your ASUS and any LAN port on the Huawei and set up the ASUS as IamNotaNumber suggested above.

I don't know if this is the correct place to post "sorry". I have a Hp laptop.I have a internal wireless adapter.which worked fine in the hotels in BKK and Sakon Nakhon. I just rented a house with a t o t lan connection modem router T8817 TP link. Any way the network adapter is not to be found anymore the wireless light is always off now. I looked everywhere for the adapter. Device,system etc. I even reloaded the drivers(control panel Wirerless assistant icon won't even open anymore.I recently took it out to a coffee shop and it wouldn't find a network.Any advise

I don't know if this is the correct place to post "sorry". I have a Hp laptop.I have a internal wireless adapter.which worked fine in the hotels in BKK and Sakon Nakhon. I just rented a house with a t o t lan connection modem router T8817 TP link. Any way the network adapter is not to be found anymore the wireless light is always off now. I looked everywhere for the adapter. Device,system etc. I even reloaded the drivers(control panel Wirerless assistant icon won't even open anymore.I recently took it out to a coffee shop and it wouldn't find a network.Any advise

Better to start a new topic.

Make sure you have saved the Huawei configuration. Now put a network cable between the WAN port on your ASUS and any LAN port on the Huawei and set up the ASUS as IamNotaNumber suggested above.

Thanks for all your input!

After doing all of the following, the setup internet configurator GUI of the Asus wireless router continues to be unable to detect my connected laptop or the internet signal from the bridged 3BB modem. (I will get a replacement modem tomorrow just to narrow down the possible culprits and return the wireless router as a last resort).

At any rate, whether or not the wireless router detects an internet connection, shouldn't there be an indication of a detected laptop that is connected to one of its ports?

One important step in setting up a bridged modem is to make sure you have the ADSL modem's IP address set to a different subnet than the router. If you are going to use the default IP of 192.168.1.1 for the ASUS then set the Huawei to a fixed IP of (for example) 192.168.2.1

If you have been trying various settings with the Huawei it might be a good idea to give it a factory reset first. Then log in and change the IP (to 192.168.2.1), turn off DHCP (might not be necessary but doesn't hurt anyway) then do the WAN settings as per this screenshot.

The attached pic is from the 3BB WAN configuration menu. I have reset the modem several times but I believe the 'reset' button on the new wireless router is not working - maybe the wireless modem is (has been) the defective culprit in all of this?

Excuse my inexperience: 1) Is the modem's IP address that is to be changed is the address in the WAN mode - not the 'LAN' mode? 2) The attached pic shows the 'Bridge Mode' and the 'Static IP Address' values that I selected and set. Are these values acceptable? Does it matter if the 'Default Route' option is enabled or disabled? 3) I believe this is the wireless router IP: http://192.168.1.2/QIS_wizard.htm

post-28226-0-18767400-1350996872_thumb.j

Thanks for all your input!

After doing all of the following, the setup internet configurator GUI of the Asus wireless router continues to be unable to detect my connected laptop or the internet signal from the bridged 3BB modem. (I will get a replacement modem tomorrow just to narrow down the possible culprits and return the wireless router as a last resort).

At any rate, whether or not the wireless router detects an internet connection, shouldn't there be an indication of a detected laptop that is connected to one of its ports?

The attached pic is from the 3BB WAN configuration menu. I have reset the modem several times but I believe the 'reset' button on the new wireless router is not working - maybe the wireless modem is (has been) the defective culprit in all of this?

Excuse my inexperience: 1) Is the modem's IP address that is to be changed is the address in the WAN mode - not the 'LAN' mode? 2) The attached pic shows the 'Bridge Mode' and the 'Static IP Address' values that I selected and set. Are these values acceptable? Does it matter if the 'Default Route' option is enabled or disabled? 3) I believe this is the wireless router IP: http://192.168.1.2/QIS_wizard.htm

What kind of ethernet cable are you using between the 3BB and the ASUS? If you're using a "straight thru" cable, it won't work.. If you have a "twisted cable" then it will.. If the ports were GigEthernet, then it wouldn't be a problem, but since these are 10/100, it does.

• Like 1

What kind of Ethernet cable are you using between the 3BB and the ASUS? If you're using a "straight thru" cable, it won't work. If you have a "twisted cable" then it will. If the ports were GigEthernet, then it wouldn't be a problem, but since these are 10/100, it does.

Ahhh...This is getting to be more and more technically interesting...at the very least my 'Computer Literacy Comprehension' curve should go up a few points! coffee1.gifwai2.gif

Could this be the actual problem...? I think I saw those 'twisted kind of cables' you're talking about on the store shelf and I only wondered at that time what they were for.

I have "straight thru" (non-twisted) cable connecting laptop, modem and router. The 3BB modem was installed using a "straight thru" (non-twisted) cable to connect my laptop. So you believe that there is a size miss-match of some sort between the modem and wireless router ports that requires the use of a "twisted" Ethernet cable to connect them?

Edited by luwahn

What kind of Ethernet cable are you using between the 3BB and the ASUS? If you're using a "straight thru" cable, it won't work. If you have a "twisted cable" then it will. If the ports were GigEthernet, then it wouldn't be a problem, but since these are 10/100, it does.

Just remembered: Only a "straight thru" cable was included in the box with the Asus wireless router....whistling.gif

...And...

The statement in the attached pic: As soon as I put the 3BB modem in 'Bridge Mode' - with or without the cable connected to the wireless router - its ADSL indicator light goes immediately from solid, non-blinking 'orange'(signaling an internet connection) to solid, non-blinking 'green',(indicating no internet connection).

Maybe this 3BB ADSL router can't be bridged to a non-ADSL wireless router?

Shouldn't there be a 'work around' to get this working?

post-28226-0-56334500-1351008230_thumb.p

Edited by luwahn

What kind of ethernet cable are you using between the 3BB and the ASUS? If you're using a "straight thru" cable, it won't work.. If you have a "twisted cable" then it will.. If the ports were GigEthernet, then it wouldn't be a problem, but since these are 10/100, it does.

That's out of the ark. I haven't seen a 10/100 ethernet port that wasnt auto-sensing in years.

I guarantee that this will NOT be the problem.

As soon as I put the 3BB modem in 'Bridge Mode' - with or without the cable connected to the wireless router - its ADSL indicator light goes immediately from solid, non-blinking 'orange'(signaling an internet connection) to solid, non-blinking 'green',(indicating no internet connection).

As a general rule you should avoid resetting IP equipment unless you know what you are doing.

One thing that I wonder about is that you seem to have no login/password details entered in the relevant boxes for the connection. You will need to enter these if you want the thing to connect, unless you are creating a PPPoE connection in the Asus and entering them there. So we need to know a bit more about what you are doing in this respect.

This might explain why you are getting the green light.

What kind of Ethernet cable are you using between the 3BB and the ASUS? If you're using a "straight thru" cable, it won't work.. If you have a "twisted cable" then it will.. If the ports were GigEthernet, then it wouldn't be a problem, but since these are 10/100, it does.

That's out of the ark. I haven't seen a 10/100 Ethernet port that wasn't auto-sensing in years.

Okay! That could explain why I haven't heard of that type of situation. (?)

As soon as I put the 3BB modem in 'Bridge Mode' - with or without the cable connected to the wireless router - its ADSL indicator light goes immediately from solid, non-blinking 'orange'(signaling an internet connection) to solid, non-blinking 'green',(indicating no internet connection).

As a general rule you should avoid resetting IP equipment unless you know what you are doing.

One thing that I wonder about is that you seem to have no login/password details entered in the relevant boxes for the connection. You will need to enter these if you want the thing to connect, unless you are creating a PPPoE connection in the Asus and entering them there. So we need to know a bit more about what you are doing in this respect.

This might explain why you are getting the green light.

I only removed the login details from the attached pic for purposes of displaying the menu on this public forum. Believe me, I can't make a single menu modification, i.e., changing from 'Routing Mode' to 'Bridge Mode', without having the login/password details in place.

Edited by luwahn

i don't think you're getting a fix IP address from your ISP, you may want to fix that. if you're in Sathorn area, i can try to install that for you (i'm not looking for a second job, i'm just a kind person tongue.png )

I really appreciate that! And 'an IP address problem' is my belief to be the root cause, too. But unfortunately, for purposes of quickly remedying this router connection problem, I don't live near BKK, though.

Is there a way you could walk me step-by-step through your trouble shooting routine to get this connection going or to identify the problem?

I will try to exchange this modem for another modem today.

I don't know about that specific model, but most of the ADSL modems I've seen won't negotiate PPPoE in bridged mode and you have to either set up the PC or and the downstream router to handle that.

Ahhh, another possibility!?? If this is true, wouldn't these newer wireless router 'automatic detection internet setup configs' take that into account in their initial device detection scan? Or is this ASDL modem limitation enough to not be able to make the bridge connection?

Edited by luwahn

I don't know about that specific model, but most of the ADSL modems I've seen won't negotiate PPPoE in bridged mode and you have to either set up the PC or and the downstream router to handle that.

Correct. That's how bridged mode works.

Thanx for this!

I tried my same connection again, but in router mode. The wireless router still could not detect the 3BB modem/router or my laptop, thus, the internet connection wasn't able to 'come through' onto my computer (even though the 3BB modem/router indicated that it was sending a signal via its 'Routing' mode).

I can't get the wireless router to 'detect' anything - maybe it's the problem!?? It's the latest power packed N900 Asus model but, though I don't like to, I may have to do as 'Robblok' did in a previous router thread and exchange this router model for the 'pretty good' performing - but not as good - Asus DSL - N55U that has a R-11 jack port so that I can make the wireless connection painlessly and without this 3BB modem/router.

Despite, this, if I could know that this Asus (non-ASDL) wireless router I presently have is in good working order, I would prefer to find the fix and run this wireless router with the 3BB modem/router.

I would put the modem in bridge mode with it's DHCP server turned off and leave the Asus doing all the routing work and DHCP. The OP would also need to program the Asus with the 3BB internet login codes in order for the PPPoE connection to work, and possibly to tell the Asus to use the modem as the gateway. That said, many routers will work this out for themselves as long as the modem is connected to the WAN port, with no need to turn off the modem DHCP or program the codes into the router for PPPoE.

As you mentioned me and said my router is inferior i feel deeply offended.biggrin.png

Just a remark, by using your old 3bb router that is surely inferior aren't you negating any benefits you get from your better router ? (i mean the 3bb router is a cheap router).

By getting the same router as i have (and updating it) you would have no problems and wireless.

Just a thought, otherwise i hope you solve it.

• Like 1

That's out of the ark. I haven't seen a 10/100 ethernet port that wasnt auto-sensing in years.

Agree. Cross over cables haven't been necessary for years.

Agree. Cross over cables haven't been necessary for years.

Indeed, i have used routers and modems and connected them with normal cables for years. As far as i remember those twisted cables were needed when you directly connect 2 pcs (network card to network card)

From reading your posts I think there are a few basics you need to understand first.

In bridged mode, the Huawei will become a simple ADSL modem and will no longer have any router functionality at all. In fact the ASUS and Huawei don't even use TCP/IP to communicate with each other. So IP addresses and login info etc on the Huawei are irrelevant. The only reason that the Huawei even has an IP address is for initial configuration via a web browser.

So if you just follow the instructions I gave you earlier about changing the LAN IP address to something outside the range of the ASUS and then put it in bridge mode (with correct VPI/VCI etc) that's it. You've finished with the Huawei.

When you see the solid green light on the Huawei (in bridged mode), that's how it should be. It means that the ADSL modem is properly connected to the telephone line and has negotiated an ADSL sync with the 3BB DSLAM.

It is the ASUS router that will handle PPPOE and username/password because it is actually the ASUS making the internet connection, not the Huawei. I don't think you can use a setup wizard to handle the internet connection for you when in bridge mode but it is pretty easy to do manually. In another post there are some screenshots showing the router setup with DD-WRT. The equivalent ASUS page will be similar. If not sure, post a screenshot of that page here.

• Like 1

Thanx for this!

As you mentioned me and said my router is inferior i feel deeply offended.biggrin.png

Just a remark, by using your old 3bb router that is surely inferior aren't you negating any benefits you get from your better router ? (i mean the 3bb router is a cheap router).

By getting the same router as i have (and updating it) you would have no problems and wireless.

Just a thought, otherwise i hope you solve it.

I understand why you may think this way and for a normal home internet user, I think you are right. Really, all this slightly complicated bridged mode stuff is only necessary either when someone needs the processing power of a high-end router for heavy downloading on a high speed internet connection or when there are reliability issues with your ADSL connection especially with multiple users.

The multi-function ASUS that you have (with ADSL built in) is probably the perfect solution for most.

I'm no normal user, but only a 16mb download. But its enough. Got 2 computers 2 ipads 2 phones hooked up to this. I was having issues with the old router. They are gone now.

But you should always do what you think is best and what makes you feel good. Unless its totally wrong of course, and in this case i have not enough info on that. You seem to have studied it enough.