Suggestions For Day Motorcycle Rides Around Chiang Mai

nattydread

I am sure I saw a similar thread but cant find it

I have a Honda CBR250 and would like some suggestions for day rides of between 100-200km

I like to avoid the four lane carraigeways and take the winding back roads which are fun on a light bike

I am getting a little bored of the Sameong Loop and down the road beside the Ping River

a lot of the local bikers I know have large machines which leave my 250 behind so would be interested in going out with others riding similar bikes

Buy a set of Gt-Rider maps and just go out everywhere, why limit to one day rides.

Maybe Doi Inthanon,Mae Chaem is good for a start, a day trip to Mae Ngat Dam is good for lunch.

IMO the Samoeng loop is boring. I come back from Mae Hong Song via Khun Yuam,Hod today, then jumped on a smaller bike and went to the X-Centre for dinner. 6.5hrs and over 400Km.A day ride!

Just do It!!

I second the Phrao ride - you can do a loop either way - slightly shorter to take the loop back through Chang Dao - well signposted, don't need a map. Longer loop back to 118 is more fun - mountain curves. I find my 250 is more than adequate once I hit the mountains, although it can't match big bikes on the straighter sections. Easier to keep up on my CB1 (a gorgeous lightweight flyer).

There are some Dutch guys from Mae Rim that do a gentle cruise on 3rd Sunday of the month. They cover about 200 km. Great guys, good way to discover new routes - maybe too old for natty dreds tho'.

The road to Chae Son NP would be good on a 250. Out on the 118 to Mae Pong--or along the 1317 past the SK Hot Springs--and then through Mae Kampong (where Flight of the Gibbon is at) after which is what feels like a 1:1 mountain. Views of both Doi Suthep and Chiang Dao up top. Great road down towards the park from here where the road is very quiet. The park is good for an hour or two (falls and hot springs) but you will be bent over for the full price even with a local license and Thai language. Head back on one of those routes or drop down through Lampang.

mae_kampong1_standard.jpg

/Additional: Crazy Horse Buttress is on that route (just before SK Hot Springs on the 1317) and though 500m offroad, is easy enough on a road bike. All up, it is under 200kms and probably best done anticlockwise for the junctions.//