Substandard Water In Many Water-Vending Machines Nationwide: Thailand

webfact

Poor water in many machines

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Random checks of water-vending machines nationwide by the Department of Medical Sciences found that more than a third -38 per cent - had substandard water quality, DMS chief Dr Nipon Phopattanachai said on Monday.

Udon Thani, Trang and Surat Thani had the worst water quality, while Chon Buri, Nakhon Sawan, Nakhon Ratchasima and Chiang Mai had substandard quality at 40 to 50 per cent of machines.

Songkhla had the best water quality with only 12 per cent of water samples being substandard, while in Bangkok some 22 per cent of water samples were poor.

Nipon said the standard was determined by water quality, filters and microorganism contamination, as well as each machine's location.

Some 26 per cent of substandard water was tainted by chemicals/metal or had acidic imbalance, which indicates an issue with water filters, while 16 per cent had microorganism contamination, mostly coliform bacteria.

Nipon has urged operators to check the quality of the water on a regular basis, keep their machines clean and change the water filters at least once or twice a year.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-24

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The water vending is a total scam, a composite machine with a crappy filter where buyers pay between 1 & 2 Baht per litre. Install it, connect up the mains supply and walk away. No maintenance and no care. And at a cost of less than 20,000 Baht for your own 'franchise' it is a licence to print money. Just another scam in a long list in Thailand. And as per the OP suggestion, fine them? No - confiscate the machines, refurbish and reinstate them in a regulated manner with regular filter changes based on volume of water passed through the lines - it's not that difficult to monitor and advertise the fact these are regulated and maintained machines. It would be a start.

Most of the machines in the CM area use municpal water as their source. The muncipatilty discourges consumption of tap water, but allow the commercial vending machines to be installed, to sell admitted contanimated water at additional charges.

Shit in shit out, no matter the package/container, comes to mind.

It is too laugh how back in the usa the party of no woul like nothing better than to do aeay with "worthless" fda and epa. As if murkans sould be any more honest...

Sorry. I have problems with your posting, completely incomprehensible...

• Like 1

It is too laugh how back in the usa the party of no woul like nothing better than to do aeay with "worthless" fda and epa. As if murkans sould be any more honest...

Its a good one.

This is what tap what is like in some places in the UK and USA. Most tap water in those countries breaches safety standards, but the water companies don't get fined. So it's not only here that you get substandard water. That is why water filters are so popular in UK and USA.

Most of the machines in the CM area use municpal water as their source. The muncipatilty discourges consumption of tap water, but allow the commercial vending machines to be installed, to sell admitted contanimated water at additional charges.

And what did you think was used as a source for the bottled water sold in department stores? It is the same water, just you pay much more.

They can't make money with this machines when change the filters in time. And the most of them don't have Knowledge about cleaning. By the way, you should clean your shower-head every month, I do it with normal acid for food. I have 2 stage filter for all the water use in the house, and for drinking water another 2 stage filter. I change all every half year. Why filter all the water? Because your body take some poison over the skin too.

And what did you think was used as a source for the bottled water sold in department stores? It is the same water, just you pay much more.

You ever been in a singha beer factory, that also bottle s water?

Its a good one.

Yoshi you understand? Care to translate Bangkokburning Jabber?

OK, so enlighten me, where does the water come from in the Singha factory? From some pure hill spring perhaps? :) Or from the same water reservoir that is used used for the municipal water?

Actually the one i know best has bore hole into massive aquifier, reverse osmosis systems, obviously massive boiling capacity, entirely imported bottling, chlorination, uv, and water analysis systems.

So at least nam singha, has very little to do with city piped supply water.