Substandard Water In Many Water-Vending Machines Nationwide: Thailand

webfact

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOW about the government conficating the machines and slapping the vendors with a 200,000 baht fine, and a monthly periodic ckeck. by the local authorities.

Hit those vendors where it hurts the worst right in their wallets and right in their testicles for good measure so they get the first time.coffee1.gif

right in their testicles??!!! are you aware of the penal codes in this country?..Frank N. Beans

It is too laugh how back in the usa the party of no woul like nothing better than to do aeay with "worthless" fda and epa. As if murkans sould be any more honest...

Sorry. I have problems with your posting, completely incomprehensible...

Its a good one.

Yoshi you understand? Care to translate Bangkokburning Jabber?

woul

'would'

aeay

'away'

murkans

'Americans' (in a Bush-esque accent)

sould

'should'

party of no

'the Republican Party' (their entire party platform is to say 'no' to anything which Obama supports, and they are endlessly trying to get rid of regulations such as the EPA and FDA, which would eliminate all safety and pollution standards in the name of higher profit margins)

As for the incoherence due to a lack of punctuation and complete lack of proper grammar, completely unforgivable for any native English speaker, but hey, TIT

Edited by RaoulDuke
  • Like 1

I heard recently that Thai sometimes change the oil in their car without changing the filter. We drink rain water mostly.

the use of ones A/C one can get distilled water, this water should be noted that it is dead water, great for a cleans as it picks up the toxins in ones system..used or mixed with filtered water will increase the volume of water used daily. I have put a "T" drain facet in the line that vents over to the ground, I purchased a clear 20 liter jug and when I need this dead water I just turn the tap on and over two to four days it is full. I boil this water and put it in fridge...the ladies that come over to have a cool drink are amazed at the "silky smooth" drink that is kept in fridge.. a nice change...also great for making herbal teas...a taste you will never experience from Vendor machine water...

Enjoy this warer... is an alternative way of enjoying a cool drink.. and surprise others whom you offer a cool water drink you will see they want more! Ron smile.png

That isn't surprising. My wife and I had this discussion when we were living in an apartment. She complained that we were reusing the plastic bottles for the second or third month. I told her it didn't make much difference when we were getting water from the machine outside. She said the water was good, I said I would be surprised if anyone EVER came and changed the filters let alone on a scheduled basis.

Someone should also check the quality of the water delivered in water trucks and the large plastic ' bottles ' you can upturn on a vending machine. Every day throughout Thailand, you see pickups and trucks delivering this water but does anyone know where it comes from ? Whilst living in Jomtien, we found a new route from the back of the market on soi 5 to Sukhumvit Road. The road winds it's way through several ponds and lakes, most littered with debris etc. Any time of the day you can find these trucks filling up with ' filtered drinking water '. Makes you think doesn't it ? Or, it should do.....

How is this a surprise? Give me one example of anything that is regulated in Thailand.

Yes, regulation requires "honest" or mandatory with no monkey business inspection and tracking and reporting and penalties. Bribing somebody or buying off inspectors on something, whether it be building inspections, car safety inspections (in thailand?), water quality, etc. can lead to huge problems.

• Like 1

That isn't surprising. My wife and I had this discussion when we were living in an apartment. She complained that we were reusing the plastic bottles for the second or third month. I told her it didn't make much difference when we were getting water from the machine outside. She said the water was good, I said I would be surprised if anyone EVER came and changed the filters let alone on a scheduled basis.

I read that drinking water from 100 bottles means that you have effectively consumed one bottle (bottle, not content) in that time. Plenty of hypotheses floating around that the use of plastic packaging is having an adverse effect on health.

Someone should also check the quality of the water delivered in water trucks and the large plastic ' bottles ' you can upturn on a vending machine. Every day throughout Thailand, you see pickups and trucks delivering this water but does anyone know where it comes from ? Whilst living in Jomtien, we found a new route from the back of the market on soi 5 to Sukhumvit Road. The road winds it's way through several ponds and lakes, most littered with debris etc. Any time of the day you can find these trucks filling up with ' filtered drinking water '. Makes you think doesn't it ? Or, it should do.....

The water delivered in the big trucks and put into large tanks indeed does come from ponds around the area. I would never drink that. Nobody in our village does. The small water bottles delivered "should" have been treated properly. But who knows the source and if their equipment is maintained properly?

Noticed this sales display at the Big C Ratchadamri store yesterday....

I've seen Brita products on sale from time to time at the Central Stores...but not noticed before at Big C...

PUR I believe is generally considered a better consumer water filtering system than Brita... But I've never found PUR products/filters being sold in Thailand. I buy mine direct from the U.S.

I NEVER would buy water from a vending machine in Thailand...or anywhere else most likely.

post-58284-0-50418800-1351304947_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Noticed this sales display at the Big C Ratchadamri store yesterday....

I've seen Brita products on sale from time to time at the Central Stores...but not noticed before at Big C...

PUR I believe is generally considered a better consumer water filtering system than Brita... But I've never found PUR products/filters being sold in Thailand. I buy mine direct from the U.S.

I NEVER would buy water from a vending machine in Thailand...or anywhere else most likely.

post-58284-0-50418800-1351304947_thumb.j

But doesn't any of these gadgets need UV to kill bacteria? Can filters catch bacteria? Too small surely?

I'm not sure on the specs re the Brita filters...

In my case, using a PUR filtering system at home with BKK tapwater, I run the tap water thru my PUR system first to mainly remove any contaminants, and then boil the water in an electric kettle before using for drinking water.

That way, I'm pretty certain I'm covering anything that the filtering system might not address, including bacteria.

And actually, on the broader topic, I'd guess that the regular municipal tapwater in BKK is probably better (less contaminated) than a lot of the filter vending machines out there.

One thing I like about using a home system is I'M the one monitoring the use and changing of my filters, so I'm sure I'm changing them at the proper times. Whereas with the vending machines, their filters likely never or rarely get changed.

And a water system with an old or overused filtering system is particularly bad because those will then tend to store and release the accumulated contaminants back into the water they serve up. Not an appetizing prospect.

I'm not sure on the specs re the Brita filters...

In my case, using a PUR filtering system at home with BKK tapwater, I run the tap water thru my PUR system first to mainly remove any contaminants, and then boil the water in an electric kettle before using for drinking water.

That way, I'm pretty certain I'm covering anything that the filtering system might not address, including bacteria.

And actually, on the broader topic, I'd guess that the regular municipal tapwater in BKK is probably better (less contaminated) than a lot of the filter vending machines out there.

One thing I like about using a home system is I'M the one monitoring the use and changing of my filters, so I'm sure I'm changing them at the proper times. Whereas with the vending machines, their filters likely never or rarely get changed.

And a water system with an old or overused filtering system is particularly bad because those will then tend to store and release the accumulated contaminants back into the water they serve up. Not an appetizing prospect.

Exactly. But to hear that the found bacteria from fecal matter in the water is horrendous.

Only boiling, ozone or long duration UV in a home system will remove it.

Here's what PUR says re their filters... Talk a lot about various contaminants, but not much about bacteria...

Activated carbon is the not-so-secret ingredient to PUR water filters. The carbon absorbs organic compounds and pollutants.

PUR activated carbon filters are made from coconut shells, which are "heat treated" with steam. This produces pores within each grain of carbon, creating tiny tunnels and spaces, 1,000 square meters of surface area per gram of carbon.

200sqft.jpg

of nooks and crannies to absorb and trap the contaminants in your tap water in each PUR faucet filter.

60 little grams of coconut removes 99.9% of microbial cysts, 99% of pharmaceuticals and lead, and 97% of the chlorine.

I wonder if they get their coconuts from Thailand??? tongue.png

Our unique, premium carbon filter removes 95% of mercury. It also reduces chlorine (taste and odor) and 96% of trace levels of pharmaceuticals,1 giving you clean, great-tasting water. Yet it still leaves behind beneficial fluoride.

http://www.purwater.com/water/pur-products/pur-water-pitcher-replacement-filter-crf-950z-4/#largeview/0/

Here's what PUR says re their filters... Talk a lot about various contaminants, but not much about bacteria...

Activated carbon is the not-so-secret ingredient to PUR water filters. The carbon absorbs organic compounds and pollutants.

PUR activated carbon filters are made from coconut shells, which are "heat treated" with steam. This produces pores within each grain of carbon, creating tiny tunnels and spaces, 1,000 square meters of surface area per gram of carbon.

200sqft.jpg

of nooks and crannies to absorb and trap the contaminants in your tap water in each PUR faucet filter.

60 little grams of coconut removes 99.9% of microbial cysts, 99% of pharmaceuticals and lead, and 97% of the chlorine.

I wonder if they get their coconuts from Thailand??? tongue.png

Our unique, premium carbon filter removes 95% of mercury. It also reduces chlorine (taste and odor) and 96% of trace levels of pharmaceuticals,1 giving you clean, great-tasting water. Yet it still leaves behind beneficial fluoride.

http://www.purwater.com/water/pur-products/pur-water-pitcher-replacement-filter-crf-950z-4/#largeview/0/

Well in the rest of the world ordinarily bacteria should have been taken care of in the treatment phase.

But doesn't any of these gadgets need UV to kill bacteria? Can filters catch bacteria? Too small surely?

Here's part of the Brita filters product brochure I picked up at Big C yesterday... Again, nothing on bacteria... For that, boiling seems the way to go.

post-58284-0-05310000-1351316737_thumb.j

The brochure says their products are sold at Central, The Mall, Siam Paragon, Emporium, B2S, Tops Markets, The Loft, Index Living Mall and True Value shops.

Interesting... I just now see the local vendor listed on the brochure shows as AQUA Innotech (Thailand) located in The Trendy Building on Suk Soi 13... www.aquainnotech.com

Here's part of the Brita filters product brochure I picked up at Big C yesterday... Again, nothing on bacteria... For that, boiling seems the way to go.

post-58284-0-05310000-1351316737_thumb.j

The brochure says their products are sold at Central, The Mall, Siam Paragon, Emporium, B2S, Tops Markets, The Loft, Index Living Mall and True Value shops.

Interesting... I just now see the local vendor listed on the brochure shows as AQUA Innotech (Thailand) located in The Trendy Building on Suk Soi 13... www.aquainnotech.com

Doesn't help much if the supply is tainted unfortunately.

I bought this machine at the Thai Water Show a few months back at BITEC. It's what they call atmospheric water maker. Makes water from the humidity in the air. It also has proper water filtration, air filtration, and a UV sterilization bulb. Kind of a dehumidifier, air filter, and water machine all in one. Kind of expensive at 55k thb, but gave it a try. I bought the Singaporean made one, not the Chinese ones.

Makes roughly 1-liter per hour, enough for my family. Just plug it in for electricity and makes my water costs about 1.5 thb per liter. Also has a hot water dispenser perfect for coffee and instant noodles.

So far, so good. At least I don't need to filter water from the klong. And for the next flood when Sprinkle decides not to deliver for another 2-months, who cares. Assuming of course we still have full electricity like last time.

I've never ever used the neighborhood dispensers. Always questioned the purity and of course, carrying the water back home.

I once brought my own Brita pitcher from abroad, but my friends said not to use it in Thailand because it wasn't enough for filtration. But this was before they began distributing in Thailand, so maybe they made adjustments.

Yikes! Why can't we just get clean drinking water?

Between using the filter properly and then boiling the filtered water before drinking/using, that ought to take care of just about anything...

Did a lot of reading on water safety/filtration back during last year's floods when the municipal water supplies were of even more questionable quality than normal.

According to the various international health agencies advice on the subject, even for pretty bad water to start, the combination of filtering followed by boiling or adding a small amount of chlorine bleach is supposed to do the trick.

And from what I've read, at least during "normal" times, the municipal water in most areas of BKK is supposed to be at least decent. I know you can't say that for a lot of other areas elsewhere around Thailand.

I once brought my own Brita pitcher from abroad, but my friends said not to use it in Thailand because it wasn't enough for filtration. But this was before they began distributing in Thailand, so maybe they made adjustments.

As I said above, from what I've read, PUR filters are supposed to be overall more effective that Brita, at least based on testing for their U.S. products...

I don't know whether the Brita brand products being sold here are identical or not to the versions sold in the U.S. or elsewhere.

About the system you bought at BITEC, what kind of overall maintenance costs does it have? I wasn't thinking so much about electricity, but rather changing filter units and/or materials, etc etc???

The nice thing about the PUR and Brita units is they require no electricity...

As for ongoing costs... with the PUR unit, each filter lasts about two months of regular household use. So that's six filter cartridges per year. Pricing varies and they're available in 3 and 4-unit packs. But a total filter cost for the year on average might be $30 to $35 just for the 6 cartridges, apart from getting them here to Thailand.

I think one problem with the "water from air" system, is that your not getting the minerals that should be in the water. We had a water machine in front of our shop before, and I never seen any service done on it, except if the coin slot was stopped up. Now at home we use the 20L bottles, and I have done my own home test, which is just fill a glass with the bottled water, and another from the tap, and let them dry out, after a week or so, the glass from the tap was coated with a white film, and the bottled water glass, was perfectly clean. I know thats not much of a scientific test, but at least it showed that there was no algae in it.

• Like 1

As I said above, from what I've read, PUR filters are supposed to be overall more effective that Brita, at least based on testing for their U.S. products...

I don't know whether the Brita brand products being sold here are identical or not to the versions sold in the U.S. or elsewhere.

About the system you bought at BITEC, what kind of overall maintenance costs does it have? I wasn't thinking so much about electricity, but rather changing filter units and/or materials, etc etc???

The nice thing about the PUR and Brita units is they require no electricity...

As for ongoing costs... with the PUR unit, each filter lasts about two months of regular household use. So that's six filter cartridges per year. Pricing varies and they're available in 3 and 4-unit packs. But a total filter cost for the year on average might be $30 to $35 just for the 6 cartridges, apart from getting them here to Thailand.

For the AirQua machine, they come to my place to change the air filter every 3-months. Although they taught me how to do it they will come throughout the year for me. The 4-chamber water filter set and the UV sterilization bulb will changed after one year, so that won't be until next year for me. This first year is complimentary as part of their promotion, but the second year will run 4,800 thb.

Compared to an Amway unit, my unit may actually be cheaper per year in replacement parts. Best of all, though, I don't require an outside source of water like Amway and Coway which are just glorified water filtration systems.

I'm not sure about the comment about 'minerals' lost from water from air, but I would think from a good diet that should be covered. I guess I could go outside and lick rocks.

It's better than uninvited bacteria and other crap from municipal supplies (during the floods there were reported body parts in the klong) and unclean neighborhood water dispensers.

Remember when there was a public campaign that tap water in Bangkok was actually clean enough to drink? Yeah, right. Whether from the water source, the kilometers of piping to your neighborhood, your outdated house plumbing, and then your dispenser, there's a lot of room for contamination.

We'll see how this atmospheric machine fares in the next couple of years.

Between using the filter properly and then boiling the filtered water before drinking/using, that ought to take care of just about anything...

Did a lot of reading on water safety/filtration back during last year's floods when the municipal water supplies were of even more questionable quality than normal.

According to the various international health agencies advice on the subject, even for pretty bad water to start, the combination of filtering followed by boiling or adding a small amount of chlorine bleach is supposed to do the trick.

And from what I've read, at least during "normal" times, the municipal water in most areas of BKK is supposed to be at least decent. I know you can't say that for a lot of other areas elsewhere around Thailand.

Water from BKK comes from the Chao Praya river. All sorts of industrial nasty stuff is dumped in there up stream. Would you drink that? It's pretty much impossible to remove that stuff with any filtering system. Plus, the big problem is in the delivery system. One small leak can let all sorts of nasties get into your water just before your building.

You make it sound like the water is pumped out of the river straight into people's homes.

At least in most cases in BKK, the muncipal water supply is run through filtration plants designed to deal with those kinds of things.... It then goes out thru pipes to people's homes, where there typically are settling/storage tanks... Then out the faucet.

Then, in my case, through the carbon filtering system and then boiled before using. I'd say that pretty well covers things...

Especially since apart from my home based filtering, the actual tap water dispensed in most areas of BKK has been tested and found to be of pretty good quality in normal times -- leaving aside episodes like last year where the dramatic flooding screwed up everything.

This is a dated article , but is relevant to the lack of potable water in Thailand.

It also explains quite a bit about ... well you know.

www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/10/19/national/national_30052996.php

Note almost half the schools with water available surveyed, had lead in the drinking water.

Has this been fixed? Doubtful.

Schools told to repair, replace lead-lined coolers

More than 3,000 schools nation-wide used lead-lined water coolers putting pupils at risk of lead contamination, the first part of a survey by the Office of Basic Education Commission (Obec) revealed yesterday.

Published on October 19, 2007

Obec secretary-general Kasama Voravan na Ayudhya told a meeting yesterday of a school network concerned about drinking water contamination Obec and Thai Health Promotion Foundation (ThaiHealth) had recently surveyed 17,254 schools.

It was initially found some 7,681 schools provided drinking water via water coolers, and 3,605 of them used lead-lined tanks, she said. Obec would quickly survey every other school in the country. ( more at link..)

Edited by MacChine