Building Permit Extortion

i friend of mine (thai) is applying for a building permit in sumui, near nathon, and was just told he would need to pay 30-40,000 baht under the table to get the permit issued. the normal government fee is a few hundred baht. he was told, if he didn't pay, the building inspectors (what ever they are?) will be round to the building site every day, generally having fun with the builders.

anyone else had this treatment lately?

Edited by stevehaigh

Anyone not have that fun lately is the better question.

Been going on for years. Some people built first then got permits, 100K +.But this is another story because they are just as guilty.

Isn't there an anti graft commission? Being Thai he should be able to find the right channels.

Another question is, does the building he wants to erect comply with zoning etc.....?

• Like 1

i'm not familiar with building in samui but i've built many houses on KPN and recently in phuket and never anything like that. i guess samui is just special.

any yes, as far as the architect has said, it does conform to all regs, nothing special about it at all

by the way, my building permit in phuket for a 440 sqm, 3 story house was 850 baht.

Edited by stevehaigh

i friend of mine (thai) is applying for a building permit in sumui, near nathon, and was just told he would need to pay 30-40,000 baht under the table to get the permit issued.

Still preferable to the 2-3 million baht you'd have to pay over the table to get a similar permit in Australia.

i friend of mine (thai) is applying for a building permit in sumui, near nathon, and was just told he would need to pay 30-40,000 baht under the table to get the permit issued. the normal government fee is a few hundred baht. he was told, if he didn't pay, the building inspectors (what ever they are?) will be round to the building site every day, generally having fun with the builders.

anyone else had this treatment lately?

T.I.T

Welcome to Thailand

I haven't been doing business here very long have u

Best your thai friend makes sure everything is legal with in the building laws as it could come back to him later and guess what more money lost

Even if everything is in order they shall make u wait unless he pays so he shall have to bite the bullet I am sure if he is thai then this is not new to him

Also do not piss these people off as it is his business and not theirs sothey shall not care na push all his paper work to the back of the pile

a ring to DSI might help but of course with a record of conversation where the backsheesh is asked.

If the D S I. Do not already know about this then they are blond

same thing with samui immigration but all the complains finally made a change.... you never know.

I reckonone shouldwalk inthere with a book of law and tell the officals that they are wrong and that they are in breach of the law and you are going to make a citizerns arrest. also have you friend video it i would love to see that.

T.I.T

Welcome to Thailand

yes, 10 years and 8 house builds, never had to pay anything like that before.

i think he should talk to someone in the head office in bangkok about it but i don't know he wants to stir up too much muck

T.I.T

Welcome to Thailand

yes, 10 years and 8 house builds, never had to pay anything like that before.

i think he should talk to someone in the head office in bangkok about it but i don't know he wants to stir up too much muck

You hit the nail on the head Steve, they don't want to stir up too much muck, they know the vulnerable ones.

it shall probably cost you more in travel expenses and other expenses to make a fuzz rarther than just biting the bullet and paying. if heisbuilding forbusiness then he would probably want to build them as quick as possible to get his business running if for personal use then up to him

i dis agree with all this also but sometimes if u want to live here and you want to make things run smoother then u have to play along with there games as people need tha tesa baan forother things in the future such as house registration books. Asking for the rubbish to be collected extra.

I dis agree with paying as it means that they shall try it on again. So somehow you have to findthe line that you are not happy and you shall pay but you donot want any more shit in the future.

Idunno up 2 u as they say

The last two posts both offer good advice. I would follow either of them.

I built three houses over the years, and I have not knowingly paid anything. But.... the builders may haveand then added it to my bill.

Also - I built quite a long time ago (10 years plus).

I had one inspector come to my third house to give me the house book upon completion. He kept asking me if I spoke Thai as he wanted a 'bonus' for the book. I just told him that I could not speak Thai and he went home empty handed after about 20 minutes.

having built a few places myself on samui its pretty normal to pay some tea money

however threats of building inspectors ?????

never seen one in 10 years

i have had them come round to check my plans they were actually quite helpful

the trick is not show your anger or depseration act cool and proffessional

Or tell them that you shall pay but your budget does not allow the large amount.Is there any chance they can offer some sort of help as the resources are running low.

Who knows it isall a game of trial anderror andwhoyou are dealing with and the person isfeel ingat the time.

Considering the lawyer made a check andyou still paida whit envalope then i would take it that is a cool plan

whichlawyer did u use.

U do have tobecarefull as pissing these people offcan make youproblems 1 to10 years from now. then ifyou habe a decentlawyer then you shouldbecovered everywhere but that same lawyer isalsovery expesensive.

just hope afterallthisyoubuildandmakemoney which iswhat it is allabouttheprofit

goin there with as much money as they ask. then have a fake fortuna tell walk in afterwards and tell theofficer that unless he donated all that money to his provate temple thenvery bad luck is coming. then meet up with yourmate out side split the difference maybe even some profit

what u reckon?

Employ a foutne tella body guard.Can predict danger before it happens so can divert it. nogun needed only a deck of cards in each holster

When I built I was told by my solicitor to make out a cheque for the correct amount to hand in with the application. I was also advised to add a 5000 Baht Service fee in cash in a separate envelope which was accepted without any problems.

did u get the planpemission if so then how long did it take

goin there with as much money as they ask. then have a fake fortuna tell walk in afterwards and tell theofficer that unless he donated all that money to his provate temple thenvery bad luck is coming. then meet up with yourmate out side split the difference maybe even some profit

what u reckon?

Employ a foutne tella body guard.Can predict danger before it happens so can divert it. nogun needed only a deck of cards in each holster

Send Rooo, he's got crystal balls.laugh.pngsorry.gifofftopic2.gif

When I was applying for building permission for my house at Samui, I let the architect arrange the papers for me in my name (farang) and enclosed, on the architect’s suggestion, a VIP-fee of 10K for a speedy permission (1-2 weeks) iso some 8 weeks or more. Worked fine.

Later having the housebook needed another 10K VIP-fee for a speedy (same day) smooth inspection of the house and everything done.

I know it is "tea money", but call it VIP-fee, as you will always get some extra speedy service, paying it. The fee may be dependant of the size of the project. At the Land Department Mr. Big was telling me, that on such a small plot, no extra fees were needed for fast handling of measuring the land, extra fee only needed for a larger project.

May always be a good idea, as suggested above, to have a lawyer, architect or building constructor to handle the building permission paperwork and enclose the suggested VIP-fee.

When I was applying for building permission for my house at Samui, I let the architect arrange the papers for me in my name (farang) and enclosed, on the architect’s suggestion, a VIP-fee of 10K for a speedy permission (1-2 weeks) iso some 8 weeks or more. Worked fine.

Later having the housebook needed another 10K VIP-fee for a speedy (same day) smooth inspection of the house and everything done.

I know it is "tea money", but call it VIP-fee, as you will always get some extra speedy service, paying it. The fee may be dependant of the size of the project. At the Land Department Mr. Big was telling me, that on such a small plot, no extra fees were needed for fast handling of measuring the land, extra fee only needed for a larger project.

May always be a good idea, as suggested above, to have a lawyer, architect or building constructor to handle the building permission paperwork and enclose the suggested VIP-fee.

Yes places forang a should stay clear from

Land office

Tessa Baan

And jail