Wrong Date Stamped.

Greeting, I arrived in bkk on oct, 2 with a 90 days "Ed" visa. My intention is to convert to 1 year while studying in Chiang Mai. Immigration in bkk stamped my passport on arrival with a 30 day date permission to stay. Can I quickly get this corrected at cm immigration or would I be better off just going in and converting to a 1 year Ed basically, 2 months early? What happens if I just don't do anything and convert my visa to a one year closer to the original 90 days visa that I paid for? Kg

You can not convert from a visa exempt entry (which it appears you now have) - are you sure you can actually extend for one year? Is this University type education? If not normal extension is only 90 days (language study and such). But in any case you will require a non immigrant visa entry so your current stamps needs to be corrected first.

You can not convert from a visa exempt entry (which it appears you now have) - are you sure you can actually extend for one year? Is this University type education? If not normal extension is only 90 days (language study and such). But in any case you will require a non immigrant visa entry so your current stamps needs to be corrected first.

Thanks lop. It is a university Ed visa. The student in question request a 1 year Ed visa from the consulate in Canada. However, he only received a 90 day " Ed" visa and then to complicate matters worse, bkk only gave him 30 days on arrival. I am 90 % sure a 90 day Ed visa can be converted to 1 year.........??? Then only have to do the 90 day report. Kg

If the education facility allows yes a one year extension should be available but he needs the 90 day ED visa entry to start the ball rolling so changing that entry is first priority now. In Bangkok there is actually a special desk that takes care of such errors if he would rather visit Chiang Watanna.

If the education facility allows yes a one year extension should be available but he needs the 90 day ED visa entry to start the ball rolling so changing that entry is first priority now. In Bangkok there is actually a special desk that takes care of such errors if he would rather visit Chiang Watanna.

Yeah ok.....I think we have the same set up here in chiang Mai. Go to the back door and see the nice lady rather than waiting for hours in line. Anyone in cm confirm that a entry error on passport can be corrected quickly at the cm immigration?

K

Yeah ok.....I think we have the same set up here in chiang Mai. Go to the back door and see the nice lady rather than waiting for hours in line. Anyone in cm confirm that a entry error on passport can be corrected quickly at the cm immigration?

K

They refuse to do any corrections at CM.

Do a visarun. Burma, from CM.

And this time, mention the visa number from the ED visa, in the arrival card.

This way, the immigration officer is aware of what he has to look for!

And do a 10 sec check, after leaving the immigration counter

Edited by noob7
  • Like 1

The visa could have been used on the original entry and thus invalid. He needs to correct at immigration or likely will have to obtain a new visa/entry.

You're right, can!

But I think, it would be nice, OP is taking a look at it, and is telling us, that it isn't used, and goes for a visa run!

Or he finds out, it is used,goes to a immigration office, and asked nicely, where the ED stamp is, that he can't find.whistling.gif

Edited by noob7

NEWS FLASH! A friend went to CM Immigration today with a situation similar to the OP's -- except:

she entered the country on Friday at Swampy, not at the beginning of the month, so she was trying to get the problem corrected sooner than the OP

she has a O-A visa, granted in the U.S., long since expired and is on her second 12-month extension due to retirement

she is 84 years old and looks like Central-casting's idea of an American grandma (Did Mayberry RFD ever show over here? Do the Thai people know "Aunt Bee"?

Anyway, I have a witness account of what happened since Hubby was also at "The Happiest Place in Chiang Mai" waiting 3 hrs for a re-entry permit and saw her exchange with the Immigration officer at the counter.

As she tells it, she barely had time to say "Hello", let alone explain her story of how she was so wrong not to check her passport at the Bangkok airport, but she had been traveling for 27 hours when she arrived, was tired and so happy to be back in Thailand, her new home for the rest of her days. (I had rehearsed this with her -- didn't want her saying "Immigration made a mistake.") According to her, the Immigration officer looked at her passport and immediately gave her a new stamp.

According to my husband, watching from the sidelines, the Immigration officer looked carefully at her passport, including the front page with her age, smiled indulgently and stamped it, pleased to get at least one happy customer on her way in what was otherwise a horrible day at Cm Immigration.

Edited by NancyL

3 hours for a re-entry permit. I got one in 20 minutes, arriving at about 2 PM some time ago and are not even living in their area, so officially needed to apply at another office.

Bussy, but nice officers although they don't spoke English that well. Must have been my charmes.