Is There No-Go Area In Bangkok ?

duiter

A chap I know continually refuses to take a short cut to his apartment through Suk. soi.3, but I think that's more to do with a touch of zenphobia than him being frightened.

We can often create our own no-go areas in our minds or prejudices.

The Norwich Union insurance company has described Bangkok as the most

dangerous place on earth for tourists based on insurance claims.

www.virtualtourist.com/.../Bangkok.../Warnings_or_Dangers-Bangkok-Crime-BR-1.html -

Edited by waza

The Norwich Union insurance company has described Bangkok as the most

dangerous place on earth for tourists based on insurance claims.

www.virtualtourist.com/.../Bangkok.../Warnings_or_Dangers-Bangkok-Crime-BR-1.html -

insurance companies want you wrapped in cotton wool where accident insurance claims are nil.
  • Like 1

As with probably any major city in the world, to go into certain local areas after dark would be incredibly stupid,Bangkok is no different.

Common sense should tell you that anywhere late at night and alone would be less than safe, especially off the main highway or in dimly lit side streets, alleys etc.

As for how dangerous, again like most major cities. lethal I would imagine.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

Ping pong clubs in Patpong are no-go areas for foreigners, whilst that short walk from Asoke to Soi 11 is a no go area for wallets in back pockets late at night and the McDonald's nearby is no place for the discerning stomachs.

Taxi ranks outside hotels are to be avoided, as are hotel currency exchange desks. The back seat of any tuk-tuk is a pretty stupid place to be also.

I am sure that I could go on ad nauseaum. However, there are loads and loads of great places to go in Bkk and these are easily enough to compensate for the pitfalls.

Only ever stumbled across a couple of streets at night that have put me on edge but for the most part as already mentioned it's because they were dimly lit and nothing actually happened so more than likely my own sense of unknown than anything else.

Some parts of East London at night are a different ball game than anywhere I've been in BKK...

All joking aside.

The Norwich Union insurance company has described Bangkok as the most dangerous place on earth for tourists based on insurance claims.

I'm sure Thailand as a whole is very high-risk as a tourist destination for insurance purposes. However this has little to do with the OP, and IMO is irrelevant for those that are here long-term.

Taxi drivers will refuse to drive you to certain places after dark in Bangkok. Sorry, I can't remember where it was we wanted to go. Khlong Toei?

slums in klong toei.

I've never had this experience based on the driver thinking it's dangerous. It's possible I suppose, but far from the norm.

The slums of Klong Toei have a higher concentration of very poor yabaa addicts, but IMO are perfectly safe even after midnight as long as you don't act like an idiot. But I grew up in pre-80's NYC, mugged three times before I was twelve, so my radar's pretty well developed.

As with probably any major city in the world, to go into certain local areas after dark would be incredibly stupid,Bangkok is no different. Common sense should tell you that anywhere late at night and alone would be less than safe, especially off the main highway or in dimly lit side streets, alleys etc.

As for how dangerous, again like most major cities. lethal I would imagine.

IMO absolute BS - IMO Bangkok is much safer for farang than **any** of the large man-swarms of North America the UK and Australia, probably on par with the better countries of Europe, Switzerland and Scandinavia.

Not saying as well-regulated from the local POV, plenty of petty theft, I'm talking specifically about for "us" foreigners and random personal violent street crimes.

Now messing around with the wrong poobah's wife or daughter, or competing with the BNB mafia selling drugs or pimiping or something, that's another story.

In other words, 100% agree with this (not allowed to quote?)

> No there aren't. No where in the city I'd be afraid to go at night. This isn't Detroit.

But then we all have different levels of aversion to risk don't we, personally I enjoy walking on the wild side.

I also think you meet the nicest Thais among the poorest.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK
  • Like 1

. . . whilst that short walk from Asoke to Soi 11 is a no go area for wallets in back pockets late at night

Yep the ladyboys that hang around the bridge between sois 23 and 25 try it on.

One skank grabbed my arm while propositioning me. Pulled a blade on me when I slapped "her" hand away but the security guard at the Glashaus building rushed over and, I assume, hurriedly explained to my assailant why it wasn't a good idea to pull a knife on a fit-looking black guy twice her size

Pickpocketing is a perfect example of non-violent petty crime, which I admit is rampant in certain areas, not least farang-targeting red-light districts, and kateoy in particular.

However when you respond to that with anything but a joke and a smile while you keep walking, IMO you're just asking for trouble - you were the one that turned it into a violent confrontation; it takes two to tango.

Not saying you would have deserved to get sliced, but by keeping your cool, calmly disengaging while keeping it light and walking away, there wouldn't be any such escalation.

And what's black got to do with it?

She didn't try to grab my wallet; she grabbed me by the arm thinking I would feel grateful for her attentions. I wasn't.

SHe may have later tried to get my wallet but it obviously didn't get that far.

Being black had nothing to do with it as far as I'm concerned but the security guard who explained the error of her ways obviously thought it did seeing he used the word "dam" while admonishing her.

While walking around or visiting a tourist attraction, void any friendly, well dressed Thai that wants to assist you.

An army of these smiling bastards are deployed all over Bangkok attempting to re-direct visitors into an elaborate scam.

Bangkok's pretty darn safe. The only worry if you're on foot that I know of is if you're carrying a bag and its night on an ill-lit soi. The MO is two people on a bike to steal up behind the victim, one of them sprints up, snatches the bag and jumps backs on to the bike.

All the cases I have heard of and one that I witnessed from a cab were entirely opportunistic - the victim was never accosted. But I would be leery of tangling with these snatchers even if the opportunity presented itself because likely they at least carry knives.

Just don't tote bags around at night if you can help it, or stick to busy well-lit areas, or if you really have to walk down Soi Sinister be wary of your surroundings and don't dally.

Generally, Bkk is a hundred times safer and friendlier than any equal-sized city in the west and is a treat for the tourist on foot.

I've always felt much safer in Bangkok than many UK and Europeancities after dark.

Pick-pocketing is universal - I've know people this happend to in Italy, Holland, France and the UK. I and a group of friends had a problem in Switzeralnd with a couple of junkie bikers asking for money - nearly turned very nasty.

I have noticed that Thai friends are more concerned about safety these days. Recently on 2 occasions different Thai ladies gave me a lift half way home. Both were concerned about dropping me off so I could pick a taxi up. One went well out of her way so I would be on the right side of the road and not have to cross a bidge which she thought could be dangerous for "farang" at night. The other insisted on turning into her village and we sat in the car whilst security got a taxi. This was off a main road which I know very well, but she stiil wasn't happy to drop me there. Perhaps I'm just beginning to look old and an easier target?