Why No Official Apple Stores In Thailand ?

JimmyTheMook

1) Cause Thailand is a relatively small market and probably not worth the trouble.

2) Getting enough highly trained reliable staff more trouble than it's worth.

3) Issues with bribes, business licensing, getting suitable retail space without a Thai partner.

Worth noting that most of the big brands coming here are actually franchisees.....

Look at all the trouble Walmart has has trying to come here and getting basically locked out via cozy Thai relationships with Central / Big-C / Lotus.

Gotta be mostly a "not worth the trouble" kind of thing... they can open only so many stores & they're probably concentrating on those markets with the highest revenues... right now, China.

It's strange they only have 6 or so stores in all of China at this point... in Europe, they're few and far between.... it's annoying I wish there was one in Bangkok at least...

I think Apple would have to create a local subsidiary before they could enter direct retail distribution? It is a little surprising that apple.co.th web store fulfills from Singapore?

Anyway I think Apple's APAC sales team has designated Copperwired, as a "Premium Reseller" to operate the brick/mortar stores (iStudio, iBeat, uStore), and work with service providers for iPhones.

APAC sales are booming for Apple but setting up a subsidiary can be costly. I assume there is a Country Manager for Thailand who reports to APAC in Singapore?

Edited by lomatopo

Also, Taiwan, South Korea and Singapore don't have Apple stores (although I think Singapore is getting one imminently?) . I'm sure they would be on the list for 1 or 2 at least well above Thailand getting one.

South Korea has deep discount online retailers....about 15-20%+ over retail price....just cannot find that here online under .co.th so far.

I thought there Apple stores and not just authorized resellers. Pretty sure there is an Apple Store in Siam Paragon.

I think you are referring to the iStudio stores? These are operated by Copperwired and are Premium Resellers.

Anyone who has been in a real Steve Jobs Apple designed store knows exactly what I am referring to.

I am no expert, and not that observant, but the local iStudio stores look a bit like the Apple stores I go to in the U.S., just maybe not as busy, but understand that they cannot be made to look too much like official stores as part of the licensing agreement.

I was in the Burlington (MA) Mall Apple Store earlier this month and it is indeed impressive, I think I counted ~ 60 blue shirts on the floor at any one time, and everyone super busy fulfilling orders. I have no doubt this is the highest grossing retail spot in the mall by a factor of 5 or 10.

Also, Taiwan, South Korea and Singapore don't have Apple stores (although I think Singapore is getting one imminently?) . I'm sure they would be on the list for 1 or 2 at least well above Thailand getting one.

www.apple.com/sg/ in singapore for many years, are you living in a cave??

I've seen many iStudio's in Singapore, never seen actual Apple store. Please don't mix Apple online store to Actual shop.

No I'm not. I'll correct your ignorance despite the snark. The only Apple owned Retail stores in Asia are in Japan, Hong Kong, China and in Australia. You show the website for the online store. Thailand has an online store too. It's great, I've ordered from their often.

ALL other RETAIL stores are independently owned, operated resellers.

Yes, the iStudios are not official Apple shops, but Thai resellers. In my experience, they are ok for accessories and such, as they sell for the official price, same as the online store.

But for anything costly, I'd go for the online store. The iStudios have the same service problems as elsewhere in Thailand.

For example: a while ago I purchased an "Airport Express" which is a small, very neat wifi router. First, they tried to overcharge me 200 Baht. When I mentioned the correct price from the Thai Web Apple Store, "oh sorry, we made a mistake". Yes, sure, but it was worth a try....

Then when I opened the package at home, it came with a surprise: the plug was the Singapore plug, the big british style with 3 poles. I went back to the iStudio and they refused an exchange. "you can use an adapter!". They claimed that this model only comes with a Singapore plug. When I showed them the photo from the Thai website which had a US-style plug, they claimed only in America, not in Asia. They typical Thai BS "you payed already and we won't care".

Later I saw at another iStudio the same device with the correct Thai plug. Probably the former iStudio got a delivery from Singapore with the wrong plug. But instead of returning it, they just sold it to a farang. Less hassle.

While not all iStudios may do such practices, you avoid such stress by ordering from the Apple web store.

Thailand has an online store too. It's great, I've ordered from their often.

I think some people have mentioned that apple.co.th actually fulfills order from Singapore, and that the price is all in: product, VAT, shipping - so a potential savings for customers. Hopefully someone is paying any applicable VAT, excise and duty? ;)

Yes, the iStudios are not official Apple shops, but Thai resellers. In my experience, they are ok for accessories and such, as they sell for the official price, same as the online store.

But for anything costly, I'd go for the online store. The iStudios have the same service problems as elsewhere in Thailand.

For example: a while ago I purchased an "Airport Express" which is a small, very neat wifi router. First, they tried to overcharge me 200 Baht. When I mentioned the correct price from the Thai Web Apple Store, "oh sorry, we made a mistake". Yes, sure, but it was worth a try....

Then when I opened the package at home, it came with a surprise: the plug was the Singapore plug, the big british style with 3 poles. I went back to the iStudio and they refused an exchange. "you can use an adapter!". They claimed that this model only comes with a Singapore plug. When I showed them the photo from the Thai website which had a US-style plug, they claimed only in America, not in Asia. They typical Thai BS "you payed already and we won't care".

Later I saw at another iStudio the same device with the correct Thai plug. Probably the former iStudio got a delivery from Singapore with the wrong plug. But instead of returning it, they just sold it to a farang. Less hassle.

While not all iStudios may do such practices, you avoid such stress by ordering from the Apple web store.

The level of service in most iStudios in Thailand is appalling often accompanied by surliness, ignorance of products and snake snake fish fish English.The iStudio in Paragon is particular rubbish.I avoid all of them like the plague.But the Apple web store is excellent and efficient.

For those who've purchased product from http://store.apple.com/th is the product delivered from Singapore? Any issues re: vat, duty, excise? Or are shipments consolidated/batched into Thailand, then re-distributed via Thai Post/EMS?

And, if you've had any warranty repair/service/replacement experiences how is that handled? Do you mail it to some address? Or go to a dreaded iStudio store?

For those who've purchased product from http://store.apple.com/th is the product delivered from Singapore? Any issues re: vat, duty, excise? Or are shipments consolidated/batched into Thailand, then re-distributed via Thai Post/EMS?

And, if you've had any warranty repair/service/replacement experiences how is that handled? Do you mail it to some address? Or go to a dreaded iStudio store?

I remember somebody from TV ordered one. It delivers by DHL and you don't pay any tax. Warranty should be honored by iStudio I guess.

The bill comes from Singapore, the items directly via DHL from Shenzen/China. No tax/duty, everything payed by Apple, you pay only the price from the website.

The bill comes from Singapore, the items directly via DHL from Shenzen/China. No tax/duty, everything payed by Apple, you pay only the price from the website.

Thanks.

Any experiences, or ideas, on how warranty service/repair is handled here in Thailand? DO you just take it to any Apple authorized reseller? Or some specific Apple repair agents?

Thanks.

Any experiences, or ideas, on how warranty service/repair is handled here in Thailand? DO you just take it to any Apple authorized reseller? Or some specific Apple repair agents?

Apple Authorized dealers are the repair agents, they have to handle all warranty claims.

The only exception to the rule used to be the iPhone - I am still confused how that works. iPhone is the only product without world wide warranty too.

^ That.