Best Place And Price For Car Insurance & Why Is Thai Gov Insurances Needed Aswel ?

britpop

My 8 year old vitara is due for a MOT test as in Thai inspection centre, normally i go to the place just along from the transport offices in Phuket town, get it passed, then to the transport dept for tax and thai gov insurance, then insure it independently via a separate insurer . As it's now over 7 years old i've been told it can only be insured 3rd party via a independent insurer, as in any accident the other parties car would be repaired and mine paid for by myself. always wondered why i need Thai government insurance if i get my own independent better insurance and if anyone can recommend a insurer that can insure a older car fully comprehensive at a reasonable price or a good price and policy for 3rd party. inspection, tax, thai gov insurance and 3rd party insurance, between 4-5000 baht for the year, can i get it at a better price ????

The Siam Commercial Bank will insure your car till its 10 years old and they also do the third party compulsory insurance

When you have the compulsory insurance policy you take your car to a local private inspection centre give them the bottom piece of the policy and for about 100 baht they arrange the new license for you and you pick it up from there premises

There should be a local vehicle inspection centre in your area, there is one in Rawai they have a sign out the front or on the main road that looks like a gear cog

There are set prices for licensing and inspections which are not negotiable

Edited by petercallen

always wondered why i need Thai government insurance if i get my own independent better insurance

Probably because this is the easiest way to administer the compulsory insurance: pay for it and you get your sticker. Otherwise there would have to be double checks.

The Siam Commercial Bank will insure your car till its 10 years old and they also do the third party compulsory insurance

When you have the compulsory insurance policy you take your car to a local private inspection centre give them the bottom piece of the policy and for about 100 baht they arrange the new license for you and you pick it up from there premises

There should be a local vehicle inspection centre in your area, there is one in Rawai they have a sign out the front or on the main road that looks like a gear cog

There are set prices for licensing and inspections which are not negotiable

Thanks PC, i always understood the inspection for cars and motor bikes had to come first so that then you could get insurance and then tax.

Thanks PC, i always understood the inspection for cars and motor bikes had to come first so that then you could get insurance and then tax.

Yes, that would be the normal and easiest procedure: take it to the inspection place, and they will take care of everything for you. Additional insurance you can sort out yourself later.

Insurance does not need to be supported by the inspection certificate (for bike over 5 years and car over 7 years). Only the road tax requires that inspection certificate (and confirmation of valid gov insurance). In my case my insurance cover is many months out of sync with tax so I get my insurance (gov and first class at the same time) many months before applying for road tax.

always wondered why i need Thai government insurance if i get my own independent better insurance

Probably because this is the easiest way to administer the compulsory insurance: pay for it and you get your sticker. Otherwise there would have to be double checks.

Third party insurance is compulsory in Australia and most countries and is included in the licensing cost of the vehicle or bike there you do not pay it separately like here and prove you have paid it to license the vehicle/bike

All the insurance companies provide third party insurance at a standard price the same as you pay at the govt traffic office

Comprehensive or first class insurance as they call it here is not compulsory unless you use credit to buy a vehicle and the finance company requires you to have it, but you have to be crazy not to have it especially with a new or late model vehicle

Among other things it covers is the 200,000 baht bail bond required for some accidents

Don't forget if you are involved in a Accident you will be in the wrong if it involves a Thai person and they are not insured

Don't forget if you are involved in a Accident you will be in the wrong if it involves a Thai person and they are not insured

No, from experience I can tell you this is not true. The party at fault will be the party that has to pay.

Edited by LivinginKata
inflammatory remark

No, from experience I can tell you this is not true. The party at fault will be the party that has to pay.

In my opinion and having had a accident with a unlicensed 15 year old on a unregistered bike it is true

My insurance representative even though he new i was in the right and the 15 year old would not admit he was in the wrong

advised me to plead guilty, after filling out a statement saying i was not in the wrong otherwise the police would confiscate my car until someone admitted they were in the wrong

I said i would plead guilty and the senior police officer changed my statement which i had signed i and pleaded guilty

The young bloke walked away laughing, my insurance paid all his costs including the repair of his motorbike and time of work because he had a minor injury,

I got a 500 baht fine for being in the wrong and my car straight back that was not seriously damaged and drive-able

What experience have you personally had SL ???

In my opinion and having had a accident with a unlicensed 15 year old on a unregistered bike it is true

My insurance representative even though he new i was in the right and the 15 year old would not admit he was in the wrong

advised me to plead guilty, after filling out a statement saying i was not in the wrong otherwise the police would confiscate my car until someone admitted they were in the wrong

I said i would plead guilty and the senior police officer changed my statement which i had signed i and pleaded guilty

The young bloke walked away laughing, my insurance paid all his costs including the repair of his motorbike and time of work because he had a minor injury,

I got a 500 baht fine for being in the wrong and my car straight back that was not seriously damaged and drive-able

I have personal experience where the Thai, uninsured motorbike rider was forced by my insurance company to repay half of his salary for a few months for the damage. The insurance company paid the dame to my car, and was reimbursed by the motorbike rider who was at fault by a direct deduction of his salary.

I have to agree with Steven. I once had an accident on my bike with a Thai national and the police decided he had to pay for my bike's damages. He had to pay it off each month through the police station. As for full insurance claims no insurance company is going to pay out for their client if that client (regardless of nationality) is not at fault.

I have personal experience where the Thai, uninsured motorbike rider was forced by my insurance company to repay half of his salary for a few months for the damage. The insurance company paid the dame to my car, and was reimbursed by the motorbike rider who was at fault by a direct deduction of his salary.

Different experiences for different people, i know other people who have had the same treatment as me in a accident by the police

While we were waiting in the police station for over 5 hours trying to sort things out a tourist was there at the same time

He had a minor accident on a rental bike which he was happy to pay 1000 baht to the owner for but refused to pay the 4000 bahtthe owner wanted,

By the time he left the police station after police negotiation he paid 7000 baht

Edited by petercallen

Again thanks, i have done the procedure many times over the years, the original post was really for the best price regarding 1st and 3rd party independent insurance cover. which companies or broker does the best deal.

I think you will find since you deal through agents here not directly with the insurance companies there prices are very simular depending on how good a insurance cover you want

I have to agree with Steven. I once had an accident on my bike with a Thai national and the police decided he had to pay for my bike's damages. He had to pay it off each month through the police station. As for full insurance claims no insurance company is going to pay out for their client if that client (regardless of nationality) is not at fault.

Had same experience with car accident. Insurance guy did a good job in patong police station, so the Thai had to pay. First class do it.

Had same experience with car accident. Insurance guy did a good job in patong police station, so the Thai had to pay. First class do it.

It is the same here as everywhere else: insurance companies will only pay if they have to.(some might even say 'are forced to').

Well i had a different experience and it can be confirmed by my wife what happened, so i disagree with you

My experience with the police And having an accident is nothing but good, the police were great, the Thai person was great, the experience was great, there insurance paid for everything, also the Thai lady gave us 3000 bht for inconvenience!!

My experience with the police And having an accident is nothing but good, the police were great, the Thai person was great, the experience was great, there insurance paid for everything, also the Thai lady gave us 3000 bht for inconvenience!!

What type of accident did you have and what were you driving or riding???

Well i had a different experience and it can be confirmed by my wife what happened, so i disagree with you

I have read many different threads and posts within those threads since moving to Phuket, I notice you have problems everywhere, do you think it could be an attitude problem that is contributing to these problems? Not having a go it just seems strange that you seem to be the only person to have bad experiences.

What type of accident did you have and what were you driving or riding???

A motorbike, car turned right in front of us causing us to hit, Police were quick to arrive as were quite a few people, all helped us and all were very friendly, police were great as was the women driver, the rest is in my previous post, this was not in

Phuket so not sure if that makes any difference.

Edited by dogpoo

I have read many different threads and posts within those threads since moving to Phuket, I notice you have problems everywhere, do you think it could be an attitude problem that is contributing to these problems? Not having a go it just seems strange that you seem to be the only person to have bad experiences.

Not true, and you did not answer the question in post number 20

Edited by petercallen

Not true, and you did not answer the question in post number 20

My answer contained the type of accident, and what I was driving, how have I not answered your question?

Edited by dogpoo

Hi, not quite the response i was hoping for, i should imaging many TV members are car drivers, but out of 25 posts only the S C Bank mentioned, not one other company, in my original post i never asked for experiences involving accidents regarding police are insurance companies, we've all heard the good and bad of traffic accidents, so all in all a bit of a non starter saai.gif, see if google can do any betterwai.gif

Check the insurance forum.

All I can recommend from own experiences is to stay away from Virijah, and from hear-see I can recommend Axa, but that is for 1st class.

thanks S, thought i would have getting a overall winner regarding a insurance company for value and coverage, but no real name has cropped up, i'll check out the insurance forum