When Are You "working"?

I heard any activity and duty be class as working.Even the farang who pour beer in a bar get caught for this.Also story on this site..foriegners who play music in bar for fun get caught in Chaing mai i think, for work without permit.

Must be very careful about who know what you are doing here and very careful who you in the business with.Many Thai just pretend to start good business but the money which is yours will certainly dissapear along with business partners.

Is not worth the trouble to do i think personally, you only stand to loose money because no Thai let you gain advantage from Thailand

There are countless earlier Thaivisa threads discussing this issue. Start by doing a forum search using "work permit". Also take a look at this article: http://www.tilleke.com/sites/default/files/2011_Nov_BigChilli_Alien_Working_Act.pdf

There are quite a number of good (& free) papers in the Tilleke and Gibbins site.

Any activity associated with a business, with generating income or even work for charity, in Thailand technically requires a work permit. Note: there's also a list of types of work that are completely prohibited for foreigners.

In other words, there's really no lower threshhold for things you can do, before you technically need a WP.

People will tell you that there are all kinds of things you can get away with most of the time. But that's a question of how much of a gambler you are.

Edited by fstarbkk

It can't be illegal to help two friends paint a wall and lay a floor.

NB - Help, not work.

OP states: I'll be starting some business with some thai friends. Clearly suggests that he is part of the venture.

Besides, it's not been my experience that Thai authorities are particularly receptive to semantics vis a vis foreigners appearing to break their rules.

That being said, I wouldn't want to guess what the odds are that someone rats him out. Just stating the facts on what requires a work permit here, as asked.

I have known foreign bar owners having problems with immigration simply because they were sitting (on the customer side) in their (Thai partners) bar, it was alleged that they were procuring customers! Obviously a few 1000 Bt made the problem go away.

Technically you are not allowed to undertake any work that a Thai could do, I would suggest that would include painting and general DIY tasks the question arises 'if the Thai could/can do it as well as you'.

When the tsunami hit Phuket there were stories going around that the authorities even harassed volunteer workers because of a lack of work permits.

I personally knew of two guys who helped out (no pay) at a local radio station being 'fined' and told that they needed work permits.

If your partners are Thai I personally would not have anything to do with the venture.

Good luck.

Edited by lizardtongue

Sooner than later they will bleed you dry of your funds.

It is then you will find out who your friends are.Or are not.

It is beter to run out of funds before you run entirely out of cash.

It is also then that all of the sudden immigration turns up with the WP isue.

I believe you are being suckerd for the cash ,

as is the case for 90% of those who mean well for the people of thailand.

As with the working thing , village? or city?Small village most likely no problem,

untill you acidently rub someone the wrong way.

Don't state the nameof the town/city,

because every country in the world is read this including the immigration of....