Help For Dog With Hip Displasia And Arthritis

mixed

Our 12 yr old female has lost the use of her back legs. We think she is a shepheard x Thai dog and the vet has diagnosed the condition as hip displasia. She must also have arthritis and has lost the use of her back legs.

This has happened quickly, 4 weeks ago she was doing well for her age, with the temperament of a pup. It's very upsetting to see her now.

Today we took her for a swim, she was really excited to see the water and enjoyed the swim. The problem was she wouldn't use her back legs, just swim with the front. We placed in water just shallow enough for her to stand and she used her back legs a little.

This seems to have helped a lot, as one of her legs had become really stiff, it's now freed up. I'd be happy to take her swimming everyday if it could help her walk again. She really enjoys it and sleeps well afterwards.

Unfortunately, hip diplasia is a degenerative desease similar to osteoarthritis in humans and is common in some large breeds. I raised Golden Retreivers and it is a common problem. She is 12 years old which equates to 84 human years and she most likely will not walk or use her hind legs again. If swimming helps the pain and gives her freedom of movement and makes her happy it's a good exercise, but she will most likey not use her legs out of the water. There is cure other than very expensive reconstructive surgery and she is far to old for that.

It didn't just happen 4 weeks ago it is something that has progressed as she aged and finally got to the point where it was just too painful to stand. I lost my 11 year old Golden last year and near the end I had to lift him to a standing position but he would still walk. I used to massage his legs, I don't know if it helped but he liked the attention especially with his 10 brothers and sisters looking on. He had displasia in one hip but finally gave in to liver cancer.

Wish that I could provide some positive advice, but aging is inevitable.

Thanks, I realize the condition didn't just develop 4 weeks ago, what I meant is up til then she could walk fine, so she has gone downhill fast, not even being able to use her back legs when swimming.

One of her legs had grown stiff, however it free up after some time in the water. I'm wondering if there is some exercise in the water that may encourage her to use her hind legs. The muscles in them have withered, swimming would help strengthen them and it's something she really loves.

Is their anything other advice you could offer? We are looking into a dog wheelchair. One place recommended a 4 wheel one as it wouldn't place strain on her front legs. I prefer the idea of 2 wheels as I think it would give her greater mobility.

Swimming is the best exercise. If she will use her legs while swimming at least it will exercise the muscles and prevent atrophy from setting in. If she doesn't get any exercise in her back legs there will be a progressive decline and wasting away of the muscle tissue and the legs will become stiff. If she is in pain you should visit the vet and have him give you some non-steroidal anit-inflammation medication (NSAID).

As far as a "wheel chair" I have no experience. I did have a golden that had disc surgery and couldn't walk for three months. I helped him walk by supporting his hind quarters with a towel under his belly and massaging his hind quarters.

I had hip replacement surgery myself after a nose dive from a ladder on 6 August, so I know first hand how it feels and am learning to walk all over again and I'm only 9.5 dog years old! Good luck! And PM me if you want any further support, I'm certainly not going anywhere FAST!

If she doesn't get any exercise in her back legs there will be a progressive decline and wasting away of the muscle tissue and the legs will become stiff. If she is in pain you should visit the vet and have him give you some non-steroidal anit-inflammation medication (NSAID).

This is the stage we are at. She will not use her back legs, even when swimming, yesterday one had become stiff, however after some time in the water it loosened up.

When swimming she is only using her front legs, it would be great if we could find a way to encourage her to use her hind legs. When in shallow water, she could not move, however after a while she started to use one of her hind legs and could move about. She seemed to improve fairly quickly.

I'm thinking of taking her swimming twice daily for the next few days, hopefully she'll start using her hind legs more. I just don't want to overdo it.

As I said swimming is one of the best exercises. Twice a day is Okay just not too long. She will let you know you when she ie tired. Take her into water that is just deep enough that she needs to use her hind legs to help support her and ease her into deeper water where she has to move them to swim.