Need Certificate Of Residency.... Which Visa?

Hi,

I work outside of Thailand in various countries so always enter Thailand on a Visa Exempt 30 Day Visa.

I have my Thai Drivers license which I used a Certificate of Residency (Statutory Declaration) from my Embassy to obtain and also to renew.

I have purchased a motorcycle some 12 months ago & have been failing to get the Change of Name on the Registration. The shop in BKK has been using an agent to process the Change of Registration. I have previously been providing the Certificate of Residency from the Embassy however now they have said they need a Certificate of Residency from the Thai Immigration..

I went to Soi Suan Pluu as this is where I was directed, they sent me to Chang Wattana. I then went to Chang Wattana to be put in the 90 Reporting Line Up, asked to goto Counter E for the Certificate of Residency & was then given a Que Ticket for Visa Extensions & when I again stated I needed to goto Counter E for the Certificate of Residency I was taken to the front of the line to only be told I can't obtain a Certificate of Residency on a 30 Day Visa even if that Certificate was only valid for 30 Days.

So, after the run around.. Im not at all upset to the level of frustration to change the Name on the Registration but I would like to get an appropriate Visa that I can obtain a Certificate of Residence from the Thai Immigration with. I do have a residence in Bangkok but seem to need to obtain a longer term Visa.

Which Visa would be most suitable (suitable as in quickest to obtain but will allow my Certificate of Residence to be granted)? I am in Thailand until the 12th of November & don't mind making a trip to another Country to visit an embassy if required.. what ever it takes I will do it so I can finally change the name on the registration...

Any help?

Scott

As you do not provide any indication of marriage or parent of a Thai suspect there is no extension of stay available if you are working outside Thailand. Normally such a certificate is only issued by immigration of you are here on extension of stay and doing 90 day reports of address (so they actually have proof of your residence).

As you do not provide any indication of marriage or parent of a Thai suspect there is no extension of stay available if you are working outside Thailand. Normally such a certificate is only issued by immigration of you are here on extension of stay and doing 90 day reports of address (so they actually have proof of your residence).

Lopburi3...

I am a father of a Thai Child.. Im not working in Thailand but is there any other pathway ro obtain a Certificate of Residency?

Lopburi3...

I am a father of a Thai Child.. Im not working in Thailand but is there any other pathway ro obtain a Certificate of Residency?

Non Im- Visa should be enough.

Get a multiple -O b/c of your child / support, get a contract from your landlord for the rental house/appartment, and go to the Immigration.

Or try to get one of these Non-B multiles valid for 3 years. Kotha Bahru issued them, some years ago. Even for WP holders!

On Phuket, that's it, you don't even need a prove of the landlords sign on the contract (no copy of ID card, no copy of the house book page

But as always: Can be, that Phuket is in some things very different to the Rest of Thailand. Not only in Tuk Tuk/Taxi regulations whistling.gif

Lopburi3...

Being the father of a Thai child is not enough, you must also be marreid to the mother OR have the child legitimized through the Thai courts (if born) in Thailand. The birth certificate itself is not enough for immigration.

Lopburi3...

Being the father of a Thai child is not enough, you must also be marreid to the mother OR have the child legitimized through the Thai courts (if born) in Thailand. The birth certificate itself is not enough for immigration.

Mario..

The Birth Certificate is the Thai one & my name is printed on this.. exactly what is required when going through the courts? It sounds like it may be an extensive procedure itself..

At the end of the day all I really need is the Certificate of Residency, is there another Visa that I would be able to obtain in the next 3 weeks to get this done?

Lopburi3...

Get a multiple -O b/c of your child / support, get a contract from your landlord for the rental house/appartment, and go to the Immigration.

Or try to get one of these Non-B multiles valid for 3 years. Kotha Bahru issued them, some years ago. Even for WP holders!

On Phuket, that's it, you don't even need a prove of the landlords sign on the contract (no copy of ID card, no copy of the house book page

But as always: Can be, that Phuket is in some things very different to the Rest of Thailand. Not only in Tuk Tuk/Taxi regulations whistling.gif

Noob... for a Non-B I need a Company to invite me to Thailand don't I?

Seeing I have no intention of working here & don't have an company to invite me this would not be possible would it?

Last report I recall for Bangkok immigration is that if they will issue the residence certificate it takes 3 weeks to get it after applying.

You could check with them to see if they would issue it with a 60 day tourist visa entry.

Perhaps the best option would be try again with the agent doing the registration about using the embassy proof of residency.

Edited by ubonjoe

You can try to get a non-O visa single entry in on of the neighbouring countries, with your birth certificate AND a letter from the mother confirming the relationship, stating you take care of the child and asking for a visa for you.

The legalisation part takes a few months, but in the end might be wise. Currently you are legally not the father. For more info: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

A certificate of Residency provided by YOUR Embassy is usually meant for YOUR government (e.g pension).

A certificate of Residency provided by the THAI immigration is usually meant for obtaining a driver license, buying property, registering vehicles in your name, etc.

If you do have a property in your name (and in possession of a chanut) and or you do have a WP, you don't need a CoR.

I'm not sure whether a Thai driver license will be regarded as a prove of residence for the registration of a vehicle in your name.

Lopburi3...

Noob... for a Non-B I need a Company to invite me to Thailand don't I?

Seeing I have no intention of working here & don't have an company to invite me this would not be possible would it?

The 3 years Non-B was not invented for working IN Thailand.

It's usually meant for people, visiting Thailand often on business reasons.

That's why it is/was unusual, that Kota Bahru consulate gave it out for wp holder, and that the Labor office accepted it for wp reasons.

I still think, you will get a non im O, b/c of the kid!

And that, with a rental contract, would be enough, in Phuket

I have got Certificate Of Residency several times on a 30 day visa on arrival, no problem at all. This was at Jomtien Immigration office. And the last time i think i just used my Thai driver license as proof at the immigration. Electrical bill would be ok as well.

I would just try another Immigration office, if possible.

apologies to the OP, but I would like to jump onto this thread as I have a very similar question of my own. I really should get my Thai driver's license. I'm on a one year multi entry Non O based on marriage. All I have that shows where I live is a copy of my lease, utilities are not in my or wife's name. We were married outside Thailand, so I've never had to register our marriage (if that is the proper term) here in Thailand. Wife's house registration is her mom's address.

And I would be going to the Chiang Mai immigration office. So I show up with my lease, some baht, passport, and a smile . . . . anyone think I have a shot at the residency certificate?

Thanks!

apologies to the OP, but I would like to jump onto this thread as I have a very similar question of my own. I really should get my Thai driver's license. I'm on a one year multi entry Non O based on marriage. All I have that shows where I live is a copy of my lease, utilities are not in my or wife's name. We were married outside Thailand, so I've never had to register our marriage (if that is the proper term) here in Thailand. Wife's house registration is her mom's address.

And I would be going to the Chiang Mai immigration office. So I show up with my lease, some baht, passport, and a smile . . . . anyone think I have a shot at the residency certificate?

Thanks!

Again: In Phuket it would be enough. Some years ago, you didn't even need Thai Baht, now it is 100 (or so) each cert..

Because you need for either driving license (bike/car) a original.

Don't forget the copies of your passport/lease contract, and give it a try. In case, they need more things, they'll tell you.

why not put it (the bike) in the name of your son's mother???

@djbarry...

not to be rude but i have a responding question for you.. would you list all your possession in your wife's name in your own country leaving yourself legalling owning nothing?

Im a divorced guy in Thailand.. learnt my lesson & would never list any of my possessions in my wife's name.. if all fails I have a friend that Ive known for years & is a wife of a friend that i knew before he met her.. she may be my best chance.

• Like 1

I have got Certificate Of Residency several times on a 30 day visa on arrival, no problem at all. This was at Jomtien Immigration office. And the last time i think i just used my Thai driver license as proof at the immigration. Electrical bill would be ok as well.

I would just try another Immigration office, if possible.

Kubota... Im guessing you live in Jomtien? I am coming to Pattaya next week & may give it a go but Im pretty sure as I live in BKK that I need to get the COR at a BKK office..

Thanks!

bottledwater...

Mate, when I got my bike & car licenses and also for the renewals all I required was a medical certificate to state I was safe to drive, a statutory declaration from my embassy, passport & for the first time... my Australian License.. for the renewal I just needed my Thai licenses.. with a 30 Day Visa I could only get a 12 month and can only do 12 month renewals... if I get a 90+ Day visa I can renew it for a 5yr period. That was in BKK at the Land Transport Department on Suk Soi 99.

You shouldnt have a problem..

Recently did this and the rules for Bangkok and other provinces are different.

Most regional (ie outside Bangkok) immigration offices will provide a certificate of residency for a fee (CM 500 baht). I'm assuming as there is no embassy in these locations.

Bangkok will only provide you with a certificate of residency IF you have previously done a 90 day reporting (doesn't matter if you have a non-immigration visa or not), they say it cannot be done unless you have done a 90 day report previously (as you are then IN the system).

Your only option in Bangkok is to go to your embassy and get a statutory declaration with your address on it and signed by them. I just used this method to get my license as I had not done my 90 day report yet.

Recently did this and the rules for Bangkok and other provinces are different.

Most regional (ie outside Bangkok) immigration offices will provide a certificate of residency for a fee (CM 500 baht). I'm assuming as there is no embassy in these locations.

Bangkok will only provide you with a certificate of residency IF you have previously done a 90 day reporting (doesn't matter if you have a non-immigration visa or not), they say it cannot be done unless you have done a 90 day report previously (as you are then IN the system).

Your only option in Bangkok is to go to your embassy and get a statutory declaration with your address on it and signed by them. I just used this method to get my license as I had not done my 90 day report yet.

Thanks Amras..

Ive got the certificate from the embassy and am picking up my paperwork from the bike shop on Saturday as their agent is refusing to attempt to make the name change with an Embassy certificate.

Monday morning im heading out to the office that covers my area and if that fails I will have to put the bike in my friends name down in Pattaya.. Either that or move my address back to Pattaya which I dont really want to do.. But by the sounds of it if Monday fails I will have to pick the best of 'not so perfect' options..

Have you had the certificate translated to Thai. That could even be the problem with the bike shops agent.

The ones from immigration are in Thai.

Ubon joe.. I only gave the english one so am unsure if they have or not..

Its a good point though so i will be sure to have it translated prior to heading to the office on Monday.. Cheers

Gents,

Just wanted to come back to provide the results to 'close the topic' per say...

Today i picked up the documents from the Agent & went to the Land & Transport Office on Sukhumvit Soi 99..

Went to Level 3, the girl looked over the documents.. sent me to the 1st Floor for the workshop to look over the bike.

Workshop looked at the Chassis/Engine Numbers & verified them against the current Green Book..

Went to Level 3 again & was sent to Level 2 to pay for the Third Party Insurance.. went to Level 2 to receive a Print Out of my previously paid Third Party Insurance.. Back to Level 3..

At Level 3 I gave the girl again the following..

• Previous owners Residence Certificate
  • Green Book
  • A document detailing the sale
  • A photocopy of my Passport Details Page
  • A photocopy of my Thai License
  • A photocopy of my current 30 Day Visa Exempt Visa
  • The Original Statutory Declaration for proof of my address from my Embassy, & also a photocopy.
  • My original Passport..

With all this I then paid a transfer tax of some kind that was a percentage of the bike's value & the girl passed the documents to another girl to process the information on the system..

It might be worth adding that this was my first visit to complete this process as the Agent had been doing it previously. When arriving I went to the information desk & the Information Girl gave my documents to a girl in a Black Shirt as apposed to the other wearing Purple Shirts.. I imagine the Black Shirts designate them to be the upper officials. When the Purple Shirt girl received the documents from the Black Shirt Girl I heard the Purple Shirt say she can not process it as there is no Thai Proof of Residency Certificate, the Black Shirt Woman replied saying it is a Document from the man's Embassy, it is fine you can process it..

10 minutes later the Black Shirt woman called me, explained that the process was complete & when the registration will require renewal, where I can pay the Road Tax & which office I can complete the Renewal at in the following year.. She seem a very nice & helpful woman & I appreciated her good attitude greatly.

So, all in all.. it is possible to get it done with a 30 Day Visa Exempt Visa & a Proof of Residence/Statutory Declaration from your Embassy.. just be patient, kind & hope the best to get the same woman that I did as it seems some younger ones don't seem so willing or maybe they are just not aware of ALL the rules as the older ones are!