Does Mcdonalds Have The Most Well Trained Thai Employees In Thailand?

Baloney pony

Effectively structured training programs in any aspect of business requires a higher level of competence in management practice than I've come across in most Thai-run enterprises.

Where it exists to a reasonable level, it is usually focused on double-checking accounting-related processes to prevent theft by employees.

Customer service as we have come to expect in the West is not a high priority at all, I don't think any locally-managed businesses think to compete on that basis, it's just doesn't seem to be valued here as a strategy.

The tourism industry is one area where exceptions exist, but the best ones are usually - or had their processes and standards in the past - run by westerners.

So .... " best ones are usually " - " run by westerners. " ??

Hah ... Hah ... Hah ...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sharon Stone and the next VP of the US Paul Ryan worked at Mac's along with 60,000,000 other Americans.

As did Thaksin's daughter.

Dressing up in the uniform and standing behind the counter to have her picture taken didn't constitute work, it constituted a silly political game.

some small shops in Panthip

Being serviced directly by the owner definitely increases the odds - but here by no means a guarantee.

no but I wanted to point out that not everything is bad and not all good service is from foreign chains.

There are some real good services in Thailand, owned by Thais (even they are ethnical often Chinese)

I tip at MK if they dance sexy. At 6 PM at every MK all the staff does a sexy little dance; that's kind of cool. I realize I am probably the only one who has ever seen this. Just another example of Thai Visa virtual reality excellence.

I think most of us have seen it. For me their dance would have to include something more erotic before i would subject my palate to their bland boiled meat and veg.

So .... " best ones are usually " - " run by westerners. " ??

Hah ... Hah ... Hah ...

Sigh. OK maybe I shouldn't have said "westerners" but "non-Thais".

There may well be figurehead Thais representing the interests of the local property owners, but the actual managers sent in by the international franchise operations are generally European or Arab.

Of course not universally true I'm sure, just something I've noted in passing.

Quick googling, look at the names of GMs at some of the top hotels and resorts here, and no I didn't cherry pick.

Amanda Hyndman

Nicolas Béliard

Rami Sayess

Peter Nilsson

Syahreza Ishwara

Greg Liddell

Exception: Titiya Chooto is the first Thai national to hold the position of General Manager with Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts.

However that's the exception that proves the rule, and it's just a "tent camp" anyway <g>

no but I wanted to point out that not everything is bad and not all good service is from foreign chains.

There are some real good services in Thailand, owned by Thais (even they are ethnical often Chinese)

I don't believe in blanket universal statements either, just talking about general tendencies.

Many people new here for example still think that everyone sitting together at a table in a restaurant should receive their food hot at the same time, not as it comes off the wok one at a time spaced out over half an hour. Me, I realize that's just a cultural difference and take it into account.

But when I order an iced tea and get iced coffee and am quite forcefully told I must pay for it even though the server admits it was their mistake, I take exception.

And that's happened to me often enough to realize it is a cultural difference too, just not one I'm happy to accept.

My thing on this is it really comes down to the customers. Put some Thais that speak English in a mcdonalds in the US, and they are going to learn to be really efficient in like a week, really. People just simply wont allow the inefficiency. This can be good or bad, depending on your point of view, but it definitely works -- complaining I mean. Thais just don't complain and getting shat on (no napkins, bathrooms, poor service etc) is just commonplace to them.

Edited by isawasnake

I am American so am very familiar with McDonalds. Some employees are excellent but others have problems understanding basic English.

Where was the McDonalds in which you experienced the problem of "employees ... have problems understanding basic English" ?

Normally the quote "But McDonalds of all franchises seems to have broken in their Thai staff well." applies to horses, but maybe you see the staff more as cattle.

Why not start your own thread for stupid/ unecessary/won't in anyway help the thread comments?

Hey there carmine ... fancy a pint tonight?

Usual place?

My thing on this is it really comes down to the customers. Put some Thais that speak English in a mcdonalds in the US, and they are going to learn to be really efficient in like a week, really. People just simply wont allow the inefficiency. This can be good or bad, depending on your point of view, but it definitely works -- complaining I mean. Thais just don't complain and getting shat on (no napkins, bathrooms, poor service etc) is just commonplace to them.

But the owner has to care as well. Honestly some shopkeepers here take the attitude that they are doing you a big favor allowing you to be their customer. Even politely and diplomatically pointing out an obvious major problem that would result in an immediate exchange or refund back home often results in a shrug and dismissive wave of the hand, IOW &lt;deleted&gt; off.

IMO it's part of the hierarchical mindset, a business owner is higher status than the common-man customer and therefore it is an impudent insult to even bring the issue up in the first place.

Actually if you see the other way round, McD has the most well trained customers in the world.

Order from a set menu, supersize? - yes/no, pay, receive order, go to ketchup counter, stuff gob, make way for next sheeple.

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

But the owner has to care as well. Honestly some shopkeepers here take the attitude that they are doing you a big favor allowing you to be their customer. Even politely and diplomatically pointing out an obvious major problem that would result in an immediate exchange or refund back home often results in a shrug and dismissive wave of the hand, IOW &lt;deleted&gt; off.

IMO it's part of the hierarchical mindset, a business owner is higher status than the common-man customer and therefore it is an impudent insult to even bring the issue up in the first place.

That is a good point, but I would still say take that owner or manager to the US and being an employee of Mcdonalds, he would change real quick, along with the rest of the employees. He'd be pulled aside or contacted many times until he'd just be compelled to give in and get shit right for once, the way people that come in there are used to getting it. That is what would happen, or he'd lose his restaurant or job.

Edited by isawasnake

I tip at MK if they dance sexy. At 6 PM at every MK all the staff does a sexy little dance; that's kind of cool. I realize I am probably the only one who has ever seen this. Just another example of Thai Visa virtual reality excellence.

I think most of us have seen it. For me their dance would have to include something more erotic before i would subject my palate to their bland boiled meat and veg.

No, no, no. Order the roast sliced duck and mixed rice (don't know the name of the rice) with the dim sum things. Have them take the water away.

post-73727-0-91969600-1351327501_thumb.j

No, no, no. Order the roast sliced duck and mixed rice (don't know the name of the rice) with the dim sum things. Have them take the water away.

Yeah the duck is good but they put the prices up a few times over the last couple of years and seemed to shrink the portions at the same time.... so a bit over-priced these days in my opinion.

Apologies for wandering off-topic.

Yeah the duck is good but they put the prices up a few times over the last couple of years and seemed to shrink the portions at the same time.... so a bit over-priced these days in my opinion.

My apologies too but I have found if I sneak in and sit in the back and the cooks don't know it's a Farang the portions are 30% larger and with no fat and gristle. My wife thinks I am nuts for doing this but I swear if we sit where the cooks can see me the duck is crap.

My vote goes to 'Star of Light'.

Amazing how every thread here goes that way. OK, well not amazing 8-)

But I agree, one of the few places where they don't complain when you take over an hour to finish one round. I used to complain about the smell of disinfectant, but then realized it's much better than the alternative 8-) Around seven years ago they tried to put the price up on me, but I still pay the same I did back in '97.

The new place on Suk 7/1 opened by Russian mafia's got fantastic service, I just can't stand that time limit business, I sure hope that business model doesn't catch on here, ends up as expensive as Eden for me that way. . .

If you mean the white-fronted place, then the "Russian Mafia" owner is from Scotland.

Edited by elwood

My apologies too but I have found if I sneak in and sit in the back and the cooks don't know it's a Farang the portions are 30% larger and with no fat and gristle. My wife thinks I am nuts for doing this but I swear if we sit where the cooks can see me the duck is crap.

Ah yes, farang-husband-envy at work. Know it well. dam_n these good looking faces and Adonis bodies god cursed us with. laugh.png

Try going alone next time. wink.png

Edited by rixalex

It's not just that the staff are well trained, they normally speak English pretty well too; or at least they did last time I was in McD's.

In fact, some of the best English speaking Thai's I've met work in places like Starbucks, Pizza Company and Burger King.

Kind of tragic really

Sent from my GT-S5570B using Thaivisa Connect App

I don't believe in blanket universal statements either, just talking about general tendencies.

Many people new here for example still think that everyone sitting together at a table in a restaurant should receive their food hot at the same time, not as it comes off the wok one at a time spaced out over half an hour. Me, I realize that's just a cultural difference and take it into account.

But when I order an iced tea and get iced coffee and am quite forcefully told I must pay for it even though the server admits it was their mistake, I take exception.

And that's happened to me often enough to realize it is a cultural difference too, just not one I'm happy to accept.

Even if you didn't touch it? Really?

The usual way is to let it go back and sit in the fridge till someone else order one. biggrin.png

I actually saw good and bad service. The big companies have policies which makes it everywhere the same but not personal. While in Thailand it is more an individual trouble shooting. With good and bad things.

I have the feeling that in cases where it is not sure if the customer or the service is wrong, in the west companies fix it to keep a good reputation. While here the thoughts are often: If we fix it for free it means we admit that we were wrong.

In total I would say Thailand is a bit worse, but with a lot positive exceptions in Thailand and a lot negative in the west.

Normally Thai service on the lower (and higher) end is abysmal in its incompetence and attitude issues. This is especially true in big dept stores like Central or supermarkets where you have loads of staff texting on their phones, smirking and giggling like jerry's kids, or indolently shuffling about doing nothing.

Can you give an example of what you consider the higher end?

I find McDonalds staff FAR from the best.

Even if you didn't touch it? Really?

Really. Many times.

First time was in my first month here and it was a street cart vendor, back in those days I was still operating from a "it's the principle" POV (what an idiot I was!), and ended up being threatened by the cop she called over, he completely agreed with her that although she had made the mistake I still needed to pay for it.

Since then at least a half-dozen times, all levels of restaurants the same story, waiter had told me there was no definitely no alcohol in the chocolate mousse, had told them no salt in my fruit shake, hairs in an omelette and so on.

Even at big pricey department stores, appliances that don't do what they're designed to do ("but it's not broken"), a book with a print run mistake missing 64 pages, etc.

And not even apologetic, just pointing to the policy and a shrug.

On the other hand I have luggage from Orvis with a lifetime guarantee, anything goes wrong with it anytime for the rest of your life we fix it for free, have had the same bag repaired four times in the past thirty years, last time they replaced it with a newer model for free, worth over $700 retail, because they'd stopped stocking the part.

Exchanged a sweater Christmas gift at Barney's without a receipt on year, only found out later on it hadn't even been purchased there, the clerk probably knew that and it didn't matter because he'd been trained that a happy customer was worth more than a short-term loss and had the authority to break company policy to make a customer happy.

Smart business, but only in a market where companies realize their reputation is important, and people generally have basic integrity.

If you mean the white-fronted place, then the "Russian Mafia" owner is from Scotland.

Yes done up to seem like a dental clinic.

Well the guy on the floor was Russian so I assumed. Wouldn't mind the time limit thing if A it was reasonable, I haven't been done in 30 minutes since I was a teenager, and B they just tacked on a proportional surcharge but no you have to pay full price for another entire session, f*^# that. . .

I've also been impressed with the staff at Starbucks - I don't go there frequently, but when I do, they are friendly, efficient and good salespeople.

They do get confused when I ask for Small, Medium or Large; instead of Tall, Grande or Venti though. :(

I have to vote for Au Bon Pain for best service. I staggered into the Samitivej Sri Nakarin branch with a hangover of biblical proportions and when my food came I lost all coordination and dropped my coffee into the food trays, completely drenching the meat, cheese and veggies. They actually apologised and gave me a new coffee.

Yes done up to seem like a dental clinic.

Well the guy on the floor was Russian so I assumed. Wouldn't mind the time limit thing if A it was reasonable, I haven't been done in 30 minutes since I was a teenager, and B they just tacked on a proportional surcharge but no you have to pay full price for another entire session, f*^# that. . .

Dental Clinic is a fair description, and rather apt - after all, their business is all about things oral, isn't it?wink.png

Dental Clinic is a fair description, and rather apt - after all, their business is all about things oral, isn't it?wink.png

Plus that extra frisson from the uniforms. . .

You can't beat a good frisson, and those uniforms certainly do the trick!